'97 4.6 factory auto SWAP to 5 speed???

AI Coupe

I have a sweet black on black 4.6 97 GT vert with new paint, riser, Cobras, top and interior. Original plan was to get it in shape to sell it but it looks too good now and I want to keep it.

Thinking hard on a 5 speed. Whats the deal on the swap. I know I'll need pedals (probably available from another stanger) and have to buy a trans, clutch, flywheel etc... but what else is involved?

Anybody been through this... any idea of cost?

The auto is getting old and is starting the vibrating on shifts so it won't be long now.

Any help would be appreciated.

If you have any of the parts I'll need please post here or send info to:

roneisner@msn.com

Thanks.

trans, bell, fork cable, pedal assy, 5spd tranny harness, clutch kit, shifter, console boot, rubber/metal plate thing to keep water out, and before you do all that you need to make sure the back of the crank is drilled for a pilot bearing it should be but not all of the cranks for auto cars have the indent for it

good luck

Thanks pal, I talked to D&D in MI and they have the kit. The T45 complete with EVERYTHING less pedal assembly is about $2800.

I think a rebuild on the auto would be about 1500 to 2 grand so this might happen this summer when it goes away.

Love the Sumos in this weather, and they look awesome!

Thanks.

Ron

If you need any help let me know, I've did this swap quite a few times. The crank should accept a pilot bearing, haven't seen a 4.6 that wouldn't. The auto drive shaft is like a half inch or so shorter, but it will still work. I think u may need a different speedo gear also. and sometimes the flywheel and clutch bolts are tough to find. don't buy them from jegs, they're not the correct bolts.

Thanks for the reminder. I decided to give it to Mike Ward to do the swap. Mikes works on my sons 89 and always does great work at a fair price.

I'm in a leg cast and just don't want to bother with trying to make everything work.

Thanks, I'll let you know how it turns out.

Ron