NTR friday nights

luckybusa

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Time will tell, but I'm guessing so. First night is the same day as the CR Track Rental. I plan on hanging out for it. Hopefully, they don't give us shit for busting out an 8 second pass with no cage. :D

If they do, I'll plead my case. "But I drove it all the way here, how was I suppose to know what it was going to run. It's basically a stock car with a few bolt ons" ;)

Guest ToFu Man
Time will tell, but I'm guessing so. First night is the same day as the CR Track Rental. I plan on hanging out for it. Hopefully, they don't give us shit for busting out an 8 second pass with no cage. :D

If they do, I'll plead my case. "But I drove it all the way here, how was I suppose to know what it was going to run. It's basically a stock car with a few bolt ons" ;)

when is the first day?

why even be stupid and run without a cage, its your life. I can understand you dont want to have your interior ruined because of a cage, but i would rather have that than crash and be even more fucked.

That's a good point and valid if I were racing a 1970's car. They didn't have the crash standards they do today back then. Cars today, atleast mine have roll over protection, crumple zones, front & side air bags, I'm not seeing myself risking my life. That and todays cars, at leasat mine, also were designed from the factory to go mid 11's. I can tell you the Corvette and Viper running 11.0's is a much safer ride then my 95 or 97 Firebird Formulas were running the same times/speeds. Goes down the track straighter, smoother, hugs the road better(i.e. no front end lift). Just all around a better car, but that's what you get with 10 years in technology advancement. There was a video I seen a year or so ago where I guy wrecked a Porshe going 170mph on the autobahn, after the car stoped he got right out.

Then look at accidents that do happen at the track in cars running at the speeds I'm wanting to run 9.5's and up.. How many of those cars roll over? I think it's safer for me to run 9.5's with no roll cage then it was for me to drive to work yesterday. I can honestly say out of the 100 times I've went to the track, I've never seen a car wreck regardless of speed. That's not to say it can't happen obviously, it's just not this huge risk in my book.

Lastly, My 95 Formula had a 10 point cage in it. I can tell you driving that car on the street was hell of a lot more of a threat. If I were to get into an accident, I could have easily hit my head on the front bar or side bars, or window net connection. I hated driving that car on the street for those reasons. First time I got in the car with the cage, I nearly cracked my head open.

In short, I'm not worried about it. When I start doing my passes in this new setup if I feel it's unsafe, I simply wont do it. Will turn the boost down to a level that I feel comfortable at. On top of taking it slow and not trying to run a 8 second pass on my first run.

well then you can't be mad at the track when they toss you out. they have rules for a reason.

I understand the rules are there for a reason, I'm merely expressing that they need to relook at the rules as they relate to newer cars and newer technology. They changed the original 11.99 rule for a cage down to 11.49. Why? because safetey equipment itself has improved since that rule was made, not because that 1970 Chevelle I use to own got safer to take down the track.

but a street car is not built to run 8 or 9 seconds i'm not tryin to argue the point just saying it's your car and your life do what you want with them. can't really say much goin down the track at 150 mph with just leather around me.
150 man that must mean ur not stock anymore with ur weight...

p.s befor u try the weight card SONNY only ran 144 at 9.45 on mine and that was at 64in long lets see the back pedeling now

and i just looked at some time slips from norwalk and u didnt make no 143 mph passes besides me and that was the best track in ohio

man your on it hard today you wake up on the wrong side of the bed. i'm saying it should run 150 with the gearing and arm and litening it up abit where is the 143 mph coming from... no clue why don't i just give you the money now cause your the best and i can't beat you... your still my buddy though shawn... i'm not gonna back pedal i called you out and i'm gonna stand behind that you beat me you beat me no shame in losing to a bigger motor.

man your on it hard today you wake up on the wrong side of the bed. i'm saying it should run 150 with the gearing and arm and litening it up abit where is the 143 mph coming from... no clue why don't i just give you the money now cause your the best and i can't beat you... your still my buddy though shawn... i'm not gonna back pedal i called you out and i'm gonna stand behind that you beat me you beat me no shame in losing to a bigger motor.

150 still my bike was down 1 in the front and up three in the rear and u put my shyt on blash on other forums knowing we allways dont play at the same track - u guys can read in that and see what i mean-

That's a good point and valid if I were racing a 1970's car. They didn't have the crash standards they do today back then. Cars today, atleast mine have roll over protection, crumple zones, front & side air bags, I'm not seeing myself risking my life. That and todays cars, at leasat mine, also were designed from the factory to go mid 11's. I can tell you the Corvette and Viper running 11.0's is a much safer ride then my 95 or 97 Firebird Formulas were running the same times/speeds. Goes down the track straighter, smoother, hugs the road better(i.e. no front end lift). Just all around a better car, but that's what you get with 10 years in technology advancement. There was a video I seen a year or so ago where I guy wrecked a Porshe going 170mph on the autobahn, after the car stoped he got right out.

Then look at accidents that do happen at the track in cars running at the speeds I'm wanting to run 9.5's and up.. How many of those cars roll over? I think it's safer for me to run 9.5's with no roll cage then it was for me to drive to work yesterday. I can honestly say out of the 100 times I've went to the track, I've never seen a car wreck regardless of speed. That's not to say it can't happen obviously, it's just not this huge risk in my book.

Lastly, My 95 Formula had a 10 point cage in it. I can tell you driving that car on the street was hell of a lot more of a threat. If I were to get into an accident, I could have easily hit my head on the front bar or side bars, or window net connection. I hated driving that car on the street for those reasons. First time I got in the car with the cage, I nearly cracked my head open.

In short, I'm not worried about it. When I start doing my passes in this new setup if I feel it's unsafe, I simply wont do it. Will turn the boost down to a level that I feel comfortable at. On top of taking it slow and not trying to run a 8 second pass on my first run.

So your 95 was almost a fullcage. Yes, you will do more damage to yourself if you are not wearing a helmet in a caged car, with a halo. The car shouldnt of been on the street anyway if that is the case. Like other people have said, the rules are there for a reason.

Shit you hear stories of people in car accidents all the time that come out with minimum damage, yet their car is destroyed. There are lucky senarios, that is up to you to take that risk.

The point of the matter is that they are making factory cars that can run faster quarter miles. The cage requirements should be based on the car. These very expensive cars have been put through extensive testing and have shown to keep the driver safe. Side impact beams, side air bags, reinforced tops, crush zones, etc.

The 11.5 is an average based on various statistics, and new technology. Here is my problem with it...If I take my 1960 car down the track without a cage (at 11.7 123mph) I can flip over and get seriously hurt. While if I take my 11.3 second modded C6 down the track and crash I'll be fine. According to the rules I now need a cage in the car that will protect me, and do not need a cage in the car that can kill me :confused:

i never put your shit on blast shawn you got all upset over nothin.

luckyzx9

mike

Psycho Racer

Group: Members

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

you guys gonna come to trails this summer bryan?

Shawn i hope that 1397 runs over this stock motor or you got ripped off... I'd get a refund if not

--------------

05 busa stock motor 64"

2000 zx-9 stock motor 61" 9.71 @142

07 slammed zx-10

(614)915-1922

well the 2008 viper hasnt had any crash tests that i know of done yet? and i couldnt find anything on the 2006 either? why did they not preform crash tests? maybe they did it for the very first year and never changed the body style because of that or structure? anyone have any insight into this?

• 1 month later...
well the 2008 viper hasnt had any crash tests that i know of done yet? and i couldnt find anything on the 2006 either? why did they not preform crash tests? maybe they did it for the very first year and never changed the body style because of that or structure? anyone have any insight into this?

well they certainly have had crash tests, regardless if the details are available or not. saleen is halting production on the S7 because it cant meet newer crash regulations. if the S7 doesnt get exemption, i doubt a viper is going to. that is kinda odd that you cant find the stats though, the shelby pres said they werent making the hood scoops of the shelby GTs functional because that would require another crash test.

well they certainly have had crash tests, regardless if the details are available or not. saleen is halting production on the S7 because it cant meet newer crash regulations. if the S7 doesnt get exemption, i doubt a viper is going to. that is kinda odd that you cant find the stats though, the shelby pres said they werent making the hood scoops of the shelby GTs functional because that would require another crash test.

2008 Viper

http://www.safercar.gov/portal/site/safercar/menuitem.db847bd57e3dc1f885dfc38c35a67789/?vgnextoid=c95df2905bf54110VgnVCM1000002fd17898RCRD&model=Viper

2006 Viper

http://www.safercar.gov/portal/site/safercar/menuitem.db847bd57e3dc1f885dfc38c35a67789/?vgnextoid=c95df2905bf54110VgnVCM1000002fd17898RCRD&model=Viper

I was under the impression that every car was tested every year but, I guess they may not be? I looked them up on http://www.safercar.gov. It is run by NHTSA and is supposed to list all test results.

• 2 weeks later...