Tax exempt

V8 Beast

Are you trying to be an independent contractor?

If so you have several conditions that need to be met as set fourth by the IRS. If you meet them I would do it. This will allow you to operate as a business, and pay a much lower tax rate.

Start here: http://www.irs.gov/businesses/small/article/0,,id=99921,00.html

Nope, was told by a few co-workers that we are legally permitted to go tax exempt a few times. I figured now would be a great time to do it since I'm doing some work on my house.

If you are still an employee I have never heard of "tax exempt". Be care full, it does not smell right to me. The IRS code is so screwed up maybe there is such a thing. :confused:

If you are still an employee I have never heard of "tax exempt". Be care full, it does not smell right to me. The IRS code is so screwed up maybe there is such a thing. :confused:

Sorry it not tax exampt, it just filing so many dependents that they do not take taxes from that perticular pay period. You basically file an 8 and get your entire paycheck tax free.

Sorry it not tax exampt, it just filing so many dependents that they do not take taxes from that perticular pay period. You basically file an 8 and get your entire paycheck tax free.

You posted that too quick. As far as I know you can do that anytime. I have had employees change them a different time of the year. It maybe a employer rule that you can only change that at a certain time.

I used to file tax exempt all the time 25 - 30 years ago. The Gov cracked down on it in the mid-early 80's as I recall. I'm not sure of the current regulations but After you claim around 8-10 the employer is required to contact the IRS. Years ago there were alot of people attempting to not pay any taxes, this was one of the way's they combated it. I suggest contacting you're accountant.

I usally go Married with 1 to make sure I dont owe at the end of the year. So if I go Married and 9 no taxes will be withheld?

Ray, It appears its ok if this is done less than 3 times per year, and its properly cliamed come tax time.

IIRC there will still be a small amount of taxes witheld @married and 9. I dont believe they allow a true tax exempt W-4 status anymore. You used to be able to enter "tax exempt" on your W-4.

True, I'm just happy I can do all of my projects this year rather than waiting until next year. I wish they didnt tax bonus' at 40%!!!!!

yep. i do collections and for the people who know they're getting a big bonus (since its not until 2nd check of following month), sometimes they will change the w-4 to little to no taxes are taken out. i dont think it matters because at the end of the year, youre still going to owe the government the same amount. the only thing thats going to change is how much they took from you thru the year

example. you make 75k/yr, and have to pay 20k in taxes. they withhold 25 thru the year, you get a 5k refund

or, you make 75k/yr, stil have to pay 20k in taxes, but you change your w4, they withhold 18k thru the year, youll pay in 09

now im sure these amounts arent anywhere near accurate, but it gives you an idea

and i agree, 38.5% bonus tax blows! my 1st month at my new job, i had a 2250$ bonus, and i think around 1100 in hourly, and after taxes i got 2250. lol

40k a year isnt the 38% tax bracket. You mean week?

bonuses are taxes at 38%. in my 3 years doing this, and asking around with other people, all the bonuses are taxed at around 38%

yeah right, it would blow if they took out 38% of every check i got. checks without bonus they usually hold about 21%.