suggestion for a 302 5.0 upgrade.

thorne

My buddy here at work has a 302 FI'd in his Factory Five cobra. He would like to see 375 at the wheels and be reliable for racing / autocrossing and such.

He needs lower power in the bottom end because of traction and higher.

suggestions?

its its fuel injected get a kenne-bell kit and a good set of heads like afr 165's the roots blower will provide plenty of low end torque and top end power for road course or autocross then get a good tune from brian or rob and he's all set

HEAT at that power level with those blowers makes them unsuitable for road racing, I wish it wasn't the case, but it makes it tough. Guys do it; but there are better ways to get there for a road race car.

Mind you, I love KB cars.

can't boost it because of the class he races in

Then tell him to get out his pocket book. Can it have an aftermarket shortblock?

Have him get in touch with Ed Curtis, he'll get him a combo that NA can make that power, it will be easier if he can use a built shortblock, but it can be done on the stocker.

http://www.flowtechinduction.com/

Stock 302 shortblock will make 375 or close to it, but you will need a good H/C/I package with a fuel system that can support that... It will cost you some cash to do so... it will be a lot easier to built a 331 or a 347 stroker and get to that power level...

Then tell him to get out his pocket book. Can it have an aftermarket shortblock?

Have him get in touch with Ed Curtis, he'll get him a combo that NA can make that power, it will be easier if he can use a built shortblock, but it can be done on the stocker.

+1 for Ed Curtis. I am sure Rob has seen outstanding results using his parts as I have. His Heads and Cams make power!!!! I have two different mustangs that I will be tuning next month with his parts. I am excited to see the results.

Just my humble opinion but If you do it on a stock shortblock n/a it is going to be have terrible driveability at those power levels just by the nature of the size of the head ports, compression ratio, and the size of cam it is going to require. I know of some with 320-330 rwhp with FTI (Ed curtis) setups that are still relatively streetable on the stock shortblock but thats pushing it.

what they said though is correct but not cheap - for maintaining some driveability you need to get more power from the shortblock then the heads/cam- balanced and blueprinted shortblock by pros with expensive rods, custom pistons, and machining tricks by fox lake, victory racing in cleveland, keith craft etc and flowtech induction(FTI) or Total Engine Airflow (TEA) recommended heads, cam, intake and have it tuned and put together by Rob and Don LaSota.

I am sure Brian at Dynotune does a great job as well I just do not have any personal experience with his tuning work- I have met him and his dad and they are top notch guys. We are lucky to have two classy father son team tuning teams in columbus ohio.

FWIW- why does he want 375 to the wheels in a factory five cobra- I hope he is a capable driver- my car is fast enough to kill most people in a straight line (365 rwhp/3140 lbs with me in it - I am a lightweight ;-)) and it weighs a good 5-800 lbs more- I can only imagine what it would be like at 100+ mph on a road course. I know I will be the forum wuss but I recommend he spend some money at bondurant before upping his power level.

Well I know the checkboook for him is not a issue. He was looking at the boss 302. He races at midohio and stuff, From what Im told he's a good drive.