Airplane on a Conveyor Belt - Mythbusters Tonight!

LPFSTheFett

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not sure about the mechanics of the test or what they are doing but...

The plane in not being powered by the wheels. It is moving air for propulsion and the wheels have basically nothing to do with it. A plane would take off just fine assuming that the friction from the wheels don't cause enough resitance to hinder forward movement. All that will happen is the wheels will spin much faster than normal while they're touching the ground. It will take off no matter what direction the treadmill is moving.

Edit:

Just found the other post and i basically repeated another post spot on...

So... Yes it will fly

treadmill matches speed of plane - take off like normal

treadmill matches wheel speed of plane - physically impossible, no take off.

In on page 1!!

For the wheels to have speed the plane has to be moving forward. The plane makes the wheels turn via forward movement.

If the treadmill INSTANTLY matches the forward thrust produced by the engines, it will not move.

not moving in a forward motion = no airspeed = no air moving over the wings = no lift

KillJoy

:popcorn:

If the treadmill INSTANTLY matches the forward thrust produced by the engines, it will not move.

not moving in a forward motion = no airspeed = no air moving over the wings = no lift

KillJoy

Right... Plane does not move forward... no take off...

Plane moves forward... take off

Either way... I dont give a f**k...

I read on a board a few weeks ago that the plane takes off and flies "backwards"... What did they mean with this I don’t know... I don’t even know if it was legitimate post from someone that has seen the experiment... don’t know... don’t care... I will not watch the show anyhow... I’m playing basketball tonight... I lost enough brain cells on this...

If the treadmill could go infinitely fast, internal friction in the wheel bearings would prevent it from taking off. Real world, their treadmill will not go quick enough, and if it did, the bearings would explode from the heat.

Warning... Danger to the Manifold!