Wine

TheHaze

So I just drank 2 liters of white wine and I must say, I feel fantastic! :D

I've been trying different wines the past few days and it's clear to me that white is superior to red in terms of taste. Red is just too sour and vinegar-like. The best part is that even the cheap stuff tastes great and is still 10%+ alcohol content. Any good brands I should try?

x2 on The Anderson's. They have a great selection and the guys there know there stuff. just picked up a nice Autumn Harvest Riesling from 2005 for about $11 and it's excellent. I like it as it's sweet vs. dry and goes well for a casual dinner like we the wife and I do on the weekend.

prices are up a bit now vs. late year when prices drop for the holidays, but there are good deals to be had. you'll find wine has a lot of variables including when to buy what.

Try the Fat Bastard cabernet, good stuff for only $10. Plus if it has a funny name it has to taste good. :D

I used to be a wine snob thanks to a weathly brother-in-law (taste expensive wines and let him buy it!) so I'm kind of picky about what I drink. If you want a stronger flavor of wine spend the money on a bottle of Dow tawny port. Very sweet and thick, high alcohol content. And if you finish the bottle you'd be in a world of hurt so it will last you a little while.

I'm a big Pinot Noir fan...preferably a 2003 Ve'ro. You can get a bottle at Andersons for ~26.00

Ohio is actually one of the most expensive states in the country for wine...we have a 135% mark up from the vineyards!! This is pretty crazy to me as we are also the second or third largest wine producer in the country.

I like a white desert wine from time to time but with the higher alcohol per volume of desert wines I tend to get a headache.

Reds definently have more flavor which is why a lot of people do not drink them. They are fermented with the skins and stems which is where a ton of taste comes from. This is the difference between white and red wines. Whites are crushed, than immediatley seperated from the skin and stem and set aside to ferment.

Also, if someone tells you that an aged white is better than its counter part you should smack them. White wines are meant to be drank quickly once they have fermented (again, to keep their distinct 'white' flavor).

Dont pay attention to what people say you should drink; especially when it comes to what wine goes with what food. Everyone has different likes/dislikes so try different wines with different food and figure out what tastes the best to you.

-Marc

I'm a big Pinot Noir fan...preferably a 2003 Ve'ro. You can get a bottle at Andersons for ~26.00

Ohio is actually one of the most expensive states in the country for wine...we have a 135% mark up from the vineyards!! This is pretty crazy to me as we are also the second or third largest wine producer in the country.

I like a white desert wine from time to time but with the higher alcohol per volume of desert wines I tend to get a headache.

Reds definently have more flavor which is why a lot of people do not drink them. They are fermented with the skins and stems which is where a ton of taste comes from. This is the difference between white and red wines. Whites are crushed, than immediatley seperated from the skin and stem and set aside to ferment.

Also, if someone tells you that an aged white is better than its counter part you should smack them. White wines are meant to be drank quickly once they have fermented (again, to keep their distinct 'white' flavor).

Dont pay attention to what people say you should drink; especially when it comes to what wine goes with what food. Everyone has different likes/dislikes so try different wines with different food and figure out what tastes the best to you.

-Marc

Hmm, good info. maybe you're not a prick after all. ;)