People who take Rec leagues way too serious...

HotCarl

If any of you play any sort of recreational sport you know what Im talking about. Theres always that asshole on the other team who thinks he's playing for a world championship every game, takes shit WAY too seriously, and argues with the ref on EVERY call that is made against them, even if it is well deserved.

I my roller hockey team played a team like this last night. They are notorious for being cheap shot bastards who bitch and complain about EVERYTHING. I was surprised there were as few penalties called during the game that there were but there were probably some "incidents" that the ref's may not have seen so dont think it was exactly a clean game by any means. Mind you I play in the lowest league, which is by all accounts and definitions a 'beer league'. Just there to have fun, yes we are a bit competitive but who isnt. If we lose its not like it will ruin my day. But these fuckers take it way over the top. Arguing with the ref about EVERYTHING, even a warning. The one time they did make a blatant penalty (a trip along the boards no less) the guy actually acted surprised he was getting called for it, then proceeded to tell the ref he didnt know what he was doing along with some classy. Then to top it all off, their captain (or at least the guy wearing a C on his chest, which is the stupidest thing Ive ever seen in organized recreational sports) decides he is too good to shake hands after the game. Maybe the salt in his VAGGGG was still burning from the loss we just handed them? Maybe he had better places to be... either way it was BUSH LEAGUE! I guess I should expect no less class from a team who actually named themselves "The Gordon Bombay Project". Fuck them, if you cant take a loss without saving yourself an once of dignity and class then you shouldn't play. I seriously hope their loss last night ruined their day.

/RANT

dude, rec leagues got nothing on church leagues. i used to play in a church basketball league, and it was BRUTAL! i was an all-ohio soccer player in high school, so i know a bit about competition, and i love it, but this stuff was just out.of.hand.

i would love to find a d-league indoor soccer team to get on. anyone need a fat, out of shape, used to be pretty damn good goalie who likes to tell jokes while making saves?

This is why I don't play ice hockey in a league anymore. I play drop in only and another night where I know someone that rents out the ice... :nod:

Ive heard drop-in's at any of the chiller leagues are rediculous, like 30+ people showing up, people getting REALLY competitive and shit, alot of top tier C league players showing up as well. Someone like me would just skate up and down the ice and not do anything so theres really no point. That and breaking into ice hockey can get expensive so Ive been playing roller for the past year and a half, eventually I'll make it over to one of their lower leagues to try it out though.

So what do you think of the Chili Dogs?

They're not that bad. Its always a close game with them. Ive finally come to the realization that I didnt join the league to make enemies, I joined to have fun and meet new people. Yeah every now and then things get heated but in the end of the game when you all shake it doesnt really matter. Last night there weren't any punches thrown but the shadiest thing they did was no shake at the end. Its like, does it really bother you THAT much?

Drop in was no joke, those 30+ year olds would throw some bows in there with a cheap shot. Do they still have the $5 drop in at the Chiller?

Ive heard it is cheap but you have to sign up. If you sign up over the phone you have to give a cc number, and if for whatever reason you dont show up they still charge you for the time you SAID you were going to be there. This is second hand info so take it for what it is.

This was when I was in high school, but it used to be $5, and they put it out on the calender. I believe drop in lasted close to 2 hours last time I played. It was a pain in the ass to find a goalie though, not too fun to have just 1 goalie on the ice.

Yeah and play 3 post on the other end, that does suck. Ive played drop in's before with like 11 guys, no goalies.... BORING!

If your interested (or anyone else for that matter) in trying out roller its hella fun and goalies always show up b/c they play for free. Friday nights 7-9, 5$ per hour. They usually run at least 10 per bench so line changes arent that bad, you usually dont wait longer than 3-4 min unless theres a jackass who likes to take 20min shifts. Alot of OSU's club team shows up but they're cool about spliting up benches so they're not playing offense the whole time.

Ive heard drop-in's at any of the chiller leagues are rediculous, like 30+ people showing up, people getting REALLY competitive and shit, alot of top tier C league players showing up as well.

Drop-In's are only really busy when the college kids are home. Like around Christmas, it was crazy busy. I'm going to one tonight, at Chiller North, and I'm betting there will be maybe 20 people total there. Usually there are two goalies. It's $12 to get in, $10 if you play in a league. The level of play is really up and down. I've seen former pros to D level players there. I'd say the average level is C to B.

Check it out, I took some vids a few weekends ago of me playing pond hockey with my dogs:

:cool:

I got a couple of buddys and myself that are interested in the drop in nights. How full on is this? I mean what are the rules and regulations? Same as ice or? No checking?

Last night was decent. There was more people than usual so we played 5 on 5 (normal roller hockey is played 4 on 4 so it open's up the court some more and is faster though not as fast as ice). No real rules per say, just show up with your stuff on and have a good time. Unless you REALLY want to, you wont needs your chest/shoulder pads or your pants. Its usually pretty fast and almost all Offense. You and your team take it down, score or the goalie stops it then the other side does the same. If you normally play D its great practice b/c your constantly facing guys who are REALLY good puck handlers and skaters. Ive been deeked many times but its made me a better player for it. No refs, no penalties, no icing, no score kept. You can get a bit physical on the boards but theres really no checking. Its drop in's so its very laid back. If you just sit back and watch them play you can see whats acceptable and whats not.

I use this as my cardio workout on fridays. Despite having 7 guys on the bench and 5 playing I still got a couple decent shifts in and got my ass kicked.

dude, rec leagues got nothing on church leagues. i used to play in a church basketball league, and it was BRUTAL! i was an all-ohio soccer player in high school, so i know a bit about competition, and i love it, but this stuff was just out.of.hand.

i would love to find a d-league indoor soccer team to get on. anyone need a fat, out of shape, used to be pretty damn good goalie who likes to tell jokes while making saves?

Youre my fave person.

hot carl you are such a rookie biatch are you going to join our team yet? lol sorry to hear about the shaddy team you play. I fucking hate playing the moose number 19 is the cheapest person i have ever played against.

Ha, Im game next session if you have an open spot. Just dont expect me to ring up a hat trick every game and we'll be ok.

Never played Moose but if they are the former "Team Columbus" then i know what your saying. A fight actually broke out with my former team and them. Stupid.