Fuel Economy

D19S88M

hey guys i need some help here. i have a 2002 ford ranger edge 2wd v6 3.0L and i love it, but the gas mileage is killing me now. i get around 10-11 mpg and i was getting 19-20. i have no clue what happened. i drive mostly on the highway and it does feel like i lost some power. the fuel pump has been replaced recently. im at a loss and im broke now because of it. if anyone has any tips for me let me know, i would appreciate it a lot. thanks guys.

That's definitely awful. I get 15mpg out of my dakota w/ 225k on it, and it's a 318 V8.

Like has been said tune-up - change plugs, wires, air filter, maybe fuel filter if it's original. Look through all your fuel components, see if anything could use a cleaning or replacement. Is it not throwing codes or anything?

Change the fuel filter when you do the tune up. It's $5-$15 and it is supposed to be done usually around 30k depending on manufacturer recomendations. Have you modified or changed anything? (Tire/Wheel size maybe?) It also wouldn't hurt to run something like SeaFoam or Techron cleaner through it.

When was the last time you checked your tire pressures? How often do you check them? I'd set them with at least 35PSI all the way around.

Low tire pressure can cause a dramatic drop in fuel economy.

and because its so cold out im sure your tires psi went low.

Yes i have a 4banger and its also lifted on 32s.

stock= 26city and 31 highway

Lifted with 32s= 23-25city and 28highway

When was the last time you checked your tire pressures? How often do you check them? I'd set them with at least 35PSI all the way around.

Low tire pressure can cause a dramatic drop in fuel economy.

I can tell you work at the Georgesville rd NTB with old man John.

hey bud,

Definitely change the fuel filter- be careful if it hasn't been changed in a while you may beed a flare wrench to get it off without stripping the nut.

I would check for leaks since you just had the tank out and the pump replaced- How are you calculating your mileage?

Also- tire pressure is a good call.

Has your operating temperature been about the same?

I would do a full tune-up on it. If that does not fix your problem then get it put on a diagnostic and see if anything looks bad. Dont play guesswork when fixing it. You will save a ton of money by just getting the scan done and targeting the exact problem. You are right at that mileage where I often see oxygen sensors starting to fail, EGR will start to have flow issues, and full tune-ups(not just plugs and wires) need to be done. Good luck.