Porsche 914?

hpfiend

I used to race with a guy that has a 914 - 6 . It is a full blown race car and it is a beast on the track. I think the 914 - 6 race cars can be bought at a reasonable price , if you are willing to look around .

Yes they do have rust problems as others have said.

The biggest problem ive seen with all the 914's i deal with at work is right in front of the rear wheels, the rockers are rusted. They didn't make proper drain tubes for that area. Heck, the rockers in general are the rustiest. Dave knows his Porsche's. My boss is also a Porsche fan, and we have 2 on site at work right now.

Hey all,

Anyone have a porsche 914? Had one recently?

Thanks,

Andrew

We all have opinions.

Why do you ask?

Are you considering buying one?

Are you doing a poll?

Did you have trouble sleeping and think this post would help?

I'm not trying to be a smart ass (although at times it comes natural), but you asked a yes or no question. What are you really looking to find out?

Rich

thanks guys- I will likely call that dave fellow-

kicking around buying one to do a ls1 swap in as my new project and wanted to see if anyone had one I could see/ride in-

my parents had one and said it was a great handling car but a rusty pos. And that was when it was only 5 years old- not 32 for the newest. They sold it when I could barely walk.

My dad and I put a 4.3L Vortec V6 in a 1977 porsche 924 with a "kit" from renegade hybrids and we basically had to do it from scratch- different ownership then but overall not a big fan of renegade but thanks for the tip.

Wife is deadset against any more projects and is telling me to get a c5 z06 or nothing but I love to tinker- she says I should focus my abilities on our house- she is likely correct and will win but at least I could research all about it for the future..

Thanks!

Andrew

My uncle has a few plus a bunch of other old porsches,benzs,etc. One he has is the 6 cylinder and he has one with a small block chevy he installed.

Does your uncle live locally? Does he want to show off his collection to a fellow enthusiast?

I always loved the 914's. Been into VW's since I was a kid. You and get a lot of power out of the old VW flat four. My brother's dune buggy has a 2332cc and it will pull the front tires off the ground every time! It's a lot faster than his '99 Cobra that has all the bolt-ons.

As far as engine swaps go, I've always had a soft place in my heart for the small block in the old 280zx's :)

Wanna break your heart? Go down to Woody's junkyard on McKinley. There are FIVE 914s sitting in there. One was obviously being restored, 2 others are fairly easily restorable, and 2 are pretty much only parts cars. Looks like somebody just gave up, or their scummy kids couldn't be bothered to see that something their Dad cared about got a good home.

I was so fucking pissed, those cars will never come out of that place, it's a crusher lot and they won't sell off the whole vehicle.

Wanna break your heart? Go down to Woody's junkyard on McKinley. There are FIVE 914s sitting in there. One was obviously being restored, 2 others are fairly easily restorable, and 2 are pretty much only parts cars. Looks like somebody just gave up, or their scummy kids couldn't be bothered to see that something their Dad cared about got a good home.

I was so fucking pissed, those cars will never come out of that place, it's a crusher lot and they won't sell off the whole vehicle.

That is heartbreaking. What's the "average" price of a new car these days? 21k at least? I will never buy a new car. Put 21k into a project car and you will run circles around any new car and it will look 20x as cool.

Come out to a porsche club autocross this spring and ask to ride along. They are a blast! They are also way overpriced in my opinion even in poor condition. We had one at the shop (same as Megaman above) needed full brake job, fuel line work, and suspension work. She wouldn't take 2K for the car even though it needed like $1200 in parts. And as far as a 914-6 goes, if you are doing a swap, then for the love of God do not buy a 914-6, those cars are too rare to tear apart and put an American motor in.

For those that don't know the 914-6 has the flat six out of a 911 in it.

Everyone thanks for the info and advice-

Wife has won out- still looking at C5Zs and now planning on some masonry work at our house...

crossle- I may take you up on that idea- my parents were members of the porsche club for 30 years. Any no I would never molest a 914-6 I am quite aware of their rarity. I would probably start from a 1.7 car and put the 3.6 flat six in it if I was going to go with an overpriced/overrated porsche motor.

Come out to a porsche club autocross this spring and ask to ride along. They are a blast! They are also way overpriced in my opinion even in poor condition. We had one at the shop (same as Megaman above) needed full brake job, fuel line work, and suspension work. She wouldn't take 2K for the car even though it needed like $1200 in parts. And as far as a 914-6 goes, if you are doing a swap, then for the love of God do not buy a 914-6, those cars are too rare to tear apart and put an American motor in.

For those that don't know the 914-6 has the flat six out of a 911 in it.

any links to the columbus pca? I go to most of the north canton pca autocrosses. id love to start going in columbus.

any links to the columbus pca? I go to most of the north canton pca autocrosses. id love to start going in columbus.

Mid Ohio Region - http://www.morpca.org

There's 3 other regions in Ohio too if you're shoppoing around for track days.

-Northern Ohio http://www.norpca.org

-Eastern Buckeye

-Ohio Valley

What he said ^

I went to one two years ago at ackerman and it was a blast, way more laid back than the scca events. I will be doing the local autox events for morpca, a guy named tim stokes drove a blue MR2 at most of the events last year which is why i'm going hopeing he will be running again this year. You run in "X" class b/c you are non porsche.