The format war is officially over, Blu-Ray wins: Toshiba drops HD-DVD

Rally Pat

While I'm happy the format skirmish is over, I'm sad that Blu-ray won. I wonder that will happen with current HD-dvd players. I wonder if a rom flash will allow HD-dvd players to play blu-ray.

blu-ray uses a different laser, a blue laser, if I remember correctly.

Regardless, I think we all had our money on HD-DVD. Toshiba plans to still produce the hardware to play HD-DVD, but will put no more money into further development of the technology.

HD-DVD is clearly a superior format. The compression that Microsoft created is much better than BL has. BL does have more capacity that is true, but the layers are closer to the surface of the disk making more susceptible to scratches. It's not like this story came from CNN or anything so it's bullshit for now. I'm guessing Sony has paid off the big execs to win the format war and doesn't want to be stuck with another betamax. My .02. Either way I do love HD no matter what format it is. Just sucks that I invested in HD-DVD.

HD-DVD is clearly a superior format. The compression that Microsoft created is much better than BL has. BL does have more capacity that is true, but the layers are closer to the surface of the disk making more susceptible to scratches. It's not like this story came from CNN or anything so it's bullshit for now. I'm guessing Sony has paid off the big execs to win the format war and doesn't want to be stuck with another betamax. My .02. Either way I do love HD no matter what format it is. Just sucks that I invested in HD-DVD.

The story is from NHK and Reuters, which in my eyes, kicks the ass of CNN in credibility any day. In addition, Joystiq is an extremely credible site.

Microsoft also announced that the 360 can support blu-ray, and that they will back whichever format wins the format war. So expect 360 blu-ray players soon.

Why was HD-DVD better? Was it better at compression or something? I know that they say that the blu-ray will be abled to be 8x layered and hold some 200 gb, and I think the HD-DVD could only get to 80gb. Plus I don't know of any sony people paying off companies to win, but microsoft surley did pay paramount and dreamworks $150 million to try and keep HD-DVD alive.

Blu ray and HD actually use the same wavelength laser (405nm), however there are other technical limitations on HD that most likely stop it from having any chance at playing a BD movie. Not the least of which is that the playback itself is proprietary (and protected), Bluray uses Sony's release of a java virtual machine loaded off of the disc to actually play the movie.

And a note to anyone planning on using a BD player in their pc, remember that HDCP will be fully enforced in hardware, meaning a specific Mobo, windows Vista, a specific video card, and a compliant monitor must ALL be present before the movie will play in high def.

Blu ray and HD actually use the same wavelength laser (405nm), however there are other technical limitations on HD that most likely stop it from having any chance at playing a BD movie. Not the least of which is that the playback itself is proprietary (and protected), Bluray uses Sony's release of a java virtual machine loaded off of the disc to actually play the movie.

And a note to anyone planning on using a BD player in their pc, remember that HDCP will be fully enforced in hardware, meaning a specific Mobo, windows Vista, a specific video card, and a compliant monitor must ALL be present before the movie will play in high def.

Unless you rip the disc, remove all forms of copy protection, and re-encode it. :)

Is Xbox Live free now??

Beretta, because of the tactics at which they were using to try and win the format war and that big mouthed prick that used to work at Sony.

There is a free level of Xbox live, and a pay level.

The free level (silver) really isn't worth much, but its free no less.

But Gold is where it is at.