Rugby

Guest Hal

The thread in pics and vids got me thinking.

Would anyone on here be up for playing some rugby? You don't have to know the rules, we can go over them briefly so you know enough to run around. This is one thing we don't have to wait for warmth for. We can play just fine in the cold.

Edit: I don't think right now this needs to be in the meetings section. Maybe if I'm lucky, we can move it there in the future.

The thread in pics and vids got me thinking.

Would anyone on here be up for playing some rugby? You don't have to know the rules, we can go over them briefly so you know enough to run around. This is one thing we don't have to wait for warmth for. We can play just fine in the cold.

Edit: I don't think right now this needs to be in the meetings section. Maybe if I'm lucky, we can move it there in the future.

So, I read this as. "I need some victims, and the cold doesn't bother me. Who's in"? :)

I used to play in highschool and my roomates are on the OSU team, a lot of times they are looking for guest players in tournaments if you ever want to play

So, does that mean you're in? If I were in better shape I would probably go out for the OSU team. It seems to be unlucky for ex-worms to play there though.

Back in my BG days I was all Midwest/Michigan. I've played anything from center to #8... Gotta quit smoking and drinking before I get back into it.

You should be able to play some sevens with a bunch of other lazy guys. I did about the same as you, but ended up in my place at #6.

So, does that mean you're in? If I were in better shape I would probably go out for the OSU team. It seems to be unlucky for ex-worms to play there though.

Fuckin' worms.

<<< ex prop for Worthington Cards 1 year on the B team, 1 year on the A team. My senior year you guys CRUSHED us like 78-6 or something crazy like that.

Eh, not as bad as we beat Pickerington my sophomore year. I think it was ~90-0.

yuck.

To give an idea of the dominance, the ref's pulled your props and hooker aside after the first few scrums and told them for the rest of the game the scrums were uncontested so they could avoid injury. They were litarally pushing our scrum around the field, it was pathetic.

EDIT: I graduated in 04, you MIGHT have been a freshman when I was a senior.

I didn't know we had a team <<< not a joke.

Dont feel bad, they are considered club teams so multiple schools could combine to join one club. Tri-County was the Hilliard/westside area, I was went to Kilbourne so I was on the Worthington club, though we took players from both worthington schools and dublin coffman and sciota (and we still sucked). Rugby is decently big in Westerville though, they feed from North and South, maybe more. The year I played they had the starting tailbacks from both North and South on their squad, not to mention MULTIPLE football jocks who werent doing anything in the spring and didnt want to play baseball so its the next best thing.

It was like playing a team of man-children.

I'm guessing that was one of the years we went 2nd in the nation. Fuck Highland.

There were a couple times I saw the scrums go uncontested for that reason.

So, can I count you in? Chance for revenge on a Worm?

I'm guessing that was one of the years we went 2nd in the nation. Fuck Highland.

There were a couple times I saw the scrums go uncontested for that reason.

So, can I count you in? Chance for revenge on a Worm?

Ha, revenge? hardly. But Im definitly in. I looked into joining a club (scioto valley) but they seem to be fairly competitive and im really just looking for a beer club to have fun with. And their practice's are on the same days as my hockey games. Im sure if we can get together a few guys from here, see if scioto wants to join in, just as long as they know its just a pickup game we can get enough people.

If anyone wants to join, this sport is crazy fun. You dont have to be huge and you dont have to be super fast. If you've ever played Soccer, football, basball, hockey or any sport thats physical you will love it. You dont need to know the rules they're pretty simple. Hell we can start off with a game of 'smear the queer' to warm up :)

Ha, revenge? hardly. But Im definitly in. I looked into joining a club (scioto valley) but they seem to be fairly competitive and im really just looking for a beer club to have fun with. And their practice's are on the same days as my hockey games. Im sure if we can get together a few guys from here, see if scioto wants to join in, just as long as they know its just a pickup game we can get enough people.

If anyone wants to join, this sport is crazy fun. You dont have to be huge and you dont have to be super fast. If you've ever played Soccer, football, basball, hockey or any sport thats physical you will love it. You dont need to know the rules they're pretty simple. Hell we can start off with a game of 'smear the queer' to warm up :)

I looked into Scioto too. I couldn't do it with work at the time.

We can start nice and slow with smear the queer. If anyone is interested, but worried, don't worry. It's not as bad as it seems.

In, depending on time and day. I was always unwelcome in friendly football games because I was too physical. :lol:

Well, you cant play rugby with flags so Im sure that wont be a problem, as long as you dont throw blows

Oh and please read my "people who take rec sports way too seriously" thread in the kitchen before attending, k thnx bye :)

Well, you cant play rugby with flags so Im sure that wont be a problem, as long as you dont throw blows

Oh and please read my "people who take rec sports way too seriously" thread in the kitchen before attending, k thnx bye :)

I'm not one of THOSE people. Just when we would try to throw together a contact game, they still don't expect to be hit for some reason.

I'm not one of THOSE people. Just when we would try to throw together a contact game, they still don't expect to be hit for some reason.

Your in, but your on my team.

Oh and there's no blocking in rugby :)

Hal, shoot me a PM when this goes down, I MIGHT have to dig up my boots and shorts though I doubt I still have them. I have a ball but it needs pumped up.

Cool, I'll try to figure something out and let you know. I wouldn't worry about shorts, I doubt mine would fit lol.

so what, no line-outs? DAMN.

Its cool, i wouldnt wear rugby shorts in this shitty weather anyway. I might have to pick up a cheap pair of boots/cleate's though.

I've still got my boots, nice Christmas presents from my folks. I hope they still fit.

I personally don't feel like getting lifted for a line-out, haven't done that in a couple years.

I remember playing the midwest championships in about a foot of snow. That SUCKED in shorts.