Wearing a helmet while driving?

thorne

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Safety equipment will almost never move you up in a class in most racing series except autocross somewhat. Hell, virtually all road racing series have "stock" or "Spec" classes that use essentially unmodified cars but with a full compliment of safety systems like a cage, fire surpression, etc....

ummm....yes? There's half a dozen in ohio every year, that's not counting rallycross. Secondly, I'd consider running a rally something worth traveling for.

I've already started this year. I'm just in a period of transition. Later this year I've got more parts going on, Now I'm focusing on suspension I've got enough power to have fun. Just next year I would really like to take it the next step.

Rally wise I was just out last weekend rallyx and I go out for weekend cruises that are not for the faint of heart.

Maybe I am missing something here but I believe he just takes his car to random dirt roads and trails or some shit. Not sanctioned rally events.

At least I thought that is what he posted up before. :confused:

Last weekend was a sanctioned event.

Safety equipment shouldn't bump you up a class. But building an 8000 rpm motor with a different turbo will. I agree with the rest. Start off slow, keep your car stock. If you're concerned about safety I would start with a 4-point cage since they're cheap.

Even WRC or Rally America cars don't turn 8000 rpm's (due to the restrictor size). And if you're planning on running rally (like Rally America), they don't let people start out in AWD turbo cars. It's VERY hard to get a waiver to move up a class when you're just starting out.

Right now I'm just rallyxing and weekend fun atleast this year. My car is already far from stock power wise. I'm in M4 class which means I'm already screwed competition wise so I might as well make it safer and beef up some of the tired parts with new toys.

I'm wearing a helmet right now. You'd be amazed at the g-forces I generate just by typing on the internets with all of my serious business!

Okay, just kidding, I'm not really wearing a helmet right now. But, Thorne, I think you totally should wear a helmet. In fact, don't even take it off when you get to the meet and get out of your car. Just walk around and talk to people with it still on. People will probably say things like, "Hey, you still have your helmet on." In response, say, "I know, safety comes first," and then bow low as though you are a samurai. Do this as many times as necessary.

I'm wearing a helmet right now. You'd be amazed at the g-forces I generate just by typing on the internets with all of my serious business!

Okay, just kidding, I'm not really wearing a helmet right now. But, Thorne, I think you totally should wear a helmet. In fact, don't even take it off when you get to the meet and get out of your car. Just walk around and talk to people with it still on. People will probably say things like, "Hey, you still have your helmet on." In response, say, "I know, safety comes first," and then bow low as though you are a samurai. Do this as many times as necessary.

I disagree. He should keep it on, but never speak.

http://www.carkimcards.com/sitebuilder/images/120px-Stig-271x271.png

I'm the STIGGGGGGGGG

um, define a "cage". because it's sounds like you plan on going a little overboard. honestly a 4/6 pt setup would be more than enough unless you plan on adding rocket packs or jumping school buses.

as for the helmet, that's what pads and 5pt harnesses are for.

um, define a "cage". because it's sounds like you plan on going a little overboard. honestly a 4/6 pt setup would be more than enough unless you plan on adding rocket packs or jumping school buses.

as for the helmet, that's what pads and 5pt harnesses are for.

4/6 pt is all I'm going for.

I did it once coming back from Trails, got a lot of dounble takes!! I like how I get heavily modded cars like Vettes and such see my car and try to race me because I have a cage, I usually smile and wave and just go about my business. Thorne, if you want some attention though a cage will do the trick.

Maybe I am missing something here but I believe he just takes his car to random dirt roads and trails or some shit. Not sanctioned rally events.

At least I thought that is what he posted up before. :confused:

Gotta start somewhere. :)

Honestly though, there are points on our drives that are more dangerous than any RallyX. Points where if you go off, there's no recovery and a long fall bouncing off trees.

But really, I've seen Auto-Xers with roll bars and cages. The only thing they have to worry about is hitting a rubber cone or spinning out. ROlling over or getting T-Boned isn't even a concern.

I think the cage might be a little overkill now, but who knows what the rest of the year holds? I'm also going to be doing HPDEs and maybe I'll decide to do TTs in the STI.

The looks are quite fun when you wear a helmet, especially when the helmet sticks out of the roof, and it's a purple multi-colored one.

At auto-x, you could always hit a lightpole...but they're usually so far off the course I'm not concerned. As far as I know, it would improve structural rigidity reducing flex, therefore creating a more stable car?

Gotta start somewhere. :)

But really, I've seen Auto-Xers with roll bars and cages. The only thing they have to worry about is hitting a rubber cone or spinning out. ROlling over or getting T-Boned isn't even a concern.

Your right, rolling over isn't really a concern and this does not happen often, but just for the sake of argument because this is columbusracing after all. This was at nationals in 2000, this car was in one of the "stock" classes...soft suspension.

http://i189.photobucket.com/albums/z39/crossle_sean/saturn.jpg

Your right, rolling over isn't really a concern and this does not happen often, but just for the sake of argument because this is columbusracing after all. This was at nationals in 2000, this car was in one of the "stock" classes...soft suspension.

HOLY S#!T

I had heard that stock class AutoXers could sometimes lift both inner tires, but I didn't think they had enough force to go that high. I stand corrected.