Anybody in National Guard?

Mandova

I desire to. I plan to talk to a recruiter today. Ken is peed-off about it...just a little. We talked.

I would really enjoy the nine weeks basic. I need a challenge right now. Then the extra funds could help pay off some stuff and fund track days...ya know. What for an MOS? I am thinking still.

I desire to. I plan to talk to a recruiter today. Ken is peed-off about it...just a little. We talked.

I would really enjoy the nine weeks basic. I need a challenge right now. Then the extra funds could help pay off some stuff and fund track days...ya know. What for an MOS? I am thinking still.

Its much more than a 9 week commitment. You have to factor in schooling like Fusion said. And the length of that varies from 4 weeks to 20 weeks plus.

isaac, you still could have gone silly. your wife would have supported you

anyway, my brother in law, who's 17 is in the process right now. joining at the same location. i dont remember his jobs he was looking at, ill have to ask.

its a great opportunity with good benefits. i know he is gonna get a $20k sign on bonus. and for some reason, another $2k bonus. along with school 100% paid for.

then his $500/month for 2 days of work.

if i wasnt needing full time pay, id def. be looking into the guard.. i might change down the road too.

im jealous, that im goin active, and not gettin any money.. he's goin guard and gettin $22k!! wtf? lol

isaac, you still could have gone silly. your wife would have supported you

anyway, my brother in law, who's 17 is in the process right now. joining at the same location. i dont remember his jobs he was looking at, ill have to ask.

its a great opportunity with good benefits. i know he is gonna get a $20k sign on bonus. and for some reason, another $2k bonus. along with school 100% paid for.

then his $500/month for 2 days of work.

if i wasnt needing full time pay, id def. be looking into the guard.. i might change down the road too.

im jealous, that im goin active, and not gettin any money.. he's goin guard and gettin $22k!! wtf? lol

You might want to check the 500 per month figure. I am an E-5 in the reserves and don't even make that. What rank is he, E-1 or did he get the little pre promotion?

Just finished speaking with a rep from Army National Guard. My appointment with the local recruiter is this Wed. Ready to get the ball rolling. I've been filling out the application all morning.

I know it's more than just 9 wks. It's a 6 yr. contract. You have to have an MOS before you enlist. It all gets written-up in the contract. I would be out of state for training. any of the female locations. Don't know?

You mean processing in Canton/Akron?

You get shipped to standard Army Basic training for Amy National Guard along with regular active duty/reservists and then off to schooling.

I understand this. You all get tossed into the shit together.

Do you do your six phases of training within the 9 weeks of basic?

What do you mean about the "off to schooling"? Are you talking about the AIT? Yeah...2-10 months. This just depends on your MOS...right?

Edited by Mandova

You might want to check the 500 per month figure. I am an E-5 in the reserves and don't even make that. What rank is he, E-1 or did he get the little pre promotion?

im guessing an e-1 cuz he's still in h.s. idk what pre promotion your talking about? im pretty sure he said that he'd be making that.. but it might be what he could end up making??

Basic training and then you'll go school for your specialty. Could be the same installation, but most often it's another.

The six phases of training I think you're are thinking of is Army special forces, Green Beret at 4 and SF tab at phase VI. Robhawk would be a better one to say which if any of those phases are covered in basic.

Your school for your MOS is separate from that I believe. I only get part of it since I was AF and there are some differences. I'm not sure how basic rolls into SF, jump, Ranger school, etc. for the Army.

Army basic and ait is also broken down into phases. Basic will cover phase 1-3 and you will begin phase 4 in ait. You are considered IET (initial entry trainee) until phase 6. That is when you will get some liberties, IE off post pass and such. You will get a 2 day break (common sometimes more or less) in between basic and ait, to visit with family and such but must stay over night on the post still. Any specific questions just ask me, I was active for 6 years and now am in the reserves still.

I hate all of you...j/k...The Marines gave me absolutely nothing as far as bonuses and benefits, and i got a 99 on the ASVAB. This is because the Army steals all of our funding and equipment. Funny how we still do the same job better. Have fun in the National Guard, as for an MOS I am a machine gunner but you should obviously go with something different such as choppers or vehicles.

Army basic and ait is also broken down into phases. Basic will cover phase 1-3 and you will begin phase 4 in ait. You are considered IET (initial entry trainee) until phase 6. That is when you will get some liberties, IE off post pass and such. You will get a 2 day break (common sometimes more or less) in between basic and ait, to visit with family and such but must stay over night on the post still. Any specific questions just ask me, I was active for 6 years and now am in the reserves still.

We had something similar in the Air Force. Really sucked for me though because of when I went in. I spent Thanksgiving at basic and Christmas/New Year at my first tech school not able to do anything.

We had something similar in the Air Force. Really sucked for me though because of when I went in. I spent Thanksgiving at basic and Christmas/New Year at my first tech school not able to do anything.

That does suck, I went in Jan at Fort Sill, very windy and cold. I spent 6 mos away before coming back, basic and ait included. But I do understand the missing of the holidays. I have spent many in Iraq.

That does suck, I went in Jan at Fort Sill, very windy and cold. I spent 6 mos away before coming back, basic and ait included. But I do understand the missing of the holidays. I have spent many in Iraq.

How many deployments since you have been serving?

What goes on when you report for your monthly weekend duties?

I have 71% of application completed....man it takes alot of remembering.

To know what you are getting in to when you go to drill your best bet would be to go to your unit where you will be drilling. After you pick your mos of course. Get your recruiter to take you. He should be more than willing to do so. Being in the guard is a big commitment. Don't forget that you not only have a federal obligation but also the state obligation. I spent 10 1/2 years in the army national guard. Military Police is the way to go if you ask me. 16 weeks basic and AIT but that was in 1998. I think it's changed since. But if you really want to join the guard, Air National Guard is the way to go. Security Force which is the Air force MP. Haha.

What for an MOS? I am thinking still.

I'm sure you'll get an s-load of advice, but here's my $.02.

Consider the big picture and look long term. You will have the opportunity to obtain free training in one of countless occupations. Pick one that would make you employable on the outside world in a field that not only pays well but is in need of qualified applicants.

6 years can move by pretty quick and you may have all you want of it after your enlistment obligation.

Get any extra schooling you want in your contract! I didn't get Jump school in my contract and spent 3 years putting in requests, to no avail. My regret.

I'm sure you'll get an s-load of advice, but here's my $.02.

Consider the big picture and look long term. You will have the opportunity to obtain free training in one of countless occupations. Pick one that would make you employable on the outside world in a field that not only pays well but is in need of qualified applicants.

6 years can move by pretty quick and you may have all you want of it after your enlistment obligation.

Get any extra schooling you want in your contract! I didn't get Jump school in my contract and spent 3 years putting in requests, to no avail. My regret.

What is Jump school? skydiving?

The advice is appreciated! I am making a list.......anything else you would have done different? Throw it out. I am listening.

I like the 31B MP. Don't know if I am cut out for it? We'll see where I fit in, but I desire to get into something that will be good for long term also.

Air National Guard?....um, I don't know too much in that department.

I will ask recruiter to take me to the unit where I would be drilling. Thanks for bringing that up.

Edited by Mandova

How many deployments since you have been serving?

What goes on when you report for your monthly weekend duties?

I have 71% of application completed....man it takes alot of remembering.

As for deployments, you can expect to deploy, it's gonna happen so prepare. Their are also peace time deployments for training that you will have to complete. Any way you look at it, you are signing up to complete a job so be ready for that. Weekend drills (in the reserves) is trying to cram in a months worth of training in 3 days.

One hot MOS civilian side right now is UAV operator 96U, make close to 6 figures right out of the military.

I was active duty Air Force as a firefighter. I loved it! I owe everything I've got today (job, house, life style, etc) to the military! I've got lots of friends that are in the Army, and Marines and when I was active duty, they would see how the Air Force lived and wished they would of gone AF. Now this was active duty, and not the Guard.

I know a lot of friends and co-workers that are in the Air National Guard, and they seem to like it alot! If I were you, I would at least check out all the services and see what each as to offer. I would assume that the Air Force would have more to offer that would allow you to have a good job on the civilian side? This is your life, don't let some damn recruiter bully you into something you don't want to do!

Good luck in what ever you do! And make sure you do the GI BILL!!! I'm making $1320 a month to go to school full time (on-line)! That money is all mine!! I believe that Pres. Bush signed a bill to increase the GI Bill amount to $3000 a month (next year) for full time students. All these figures are for Active Duty, the Guard and Reserves amounts are different, you would just have to visit the GI Bill website and see what it would be for you, or ask your recruiter!

Edited by fireman_343