Any real gains with K&N

351mach11647545510

Been throwing around the idea of picking a K&N air filter up. Idk what the "recharge" kits cost or anything but seems like it would be relatively cheap in the long run if you dont have to replace it ever. Are there any real gains as far as power and better mileage?

The recharge kit is only 9.98 at any auto parts store and i put a march ram air on my mustang came with k&n cone filter noticed a lil differerence but nothing seat of the pants, try out the cool k&n display at the auto parts stores with the ping pong ball in the tube that sold me on the fliter haha jk.

Been throwing around the idea of picking a K&N air filter up. Idk what the "recharge" kits cost or anything but seems like it would be relatively cheap in the long run if you dont have to replace it ever. Are there any real gains as far as power and better mileage?

No

There was a difference when I put one in the RX-7, nothing drastic, but i got 2 more mpg and there was a sound difference...if you're looking for that.

Edit: mine was a drop in stock replacement.

Are you talking cone or stock replacement?

I didn't notice any gains with any car I had them on. Granted, I have never done a before and after dyno. I only noticed car was louder, Isn't rule of thumb, if the car gets louder, it is making more power. HAHAHAHA. I know I noticed more of a gain, changing out the ruber/plastic intake pipe that is factory on almost all cars, and replaced it with a metal pipe(intercooler piping).

Jackson

I put had a K&N CAI kit on a 97 Dodge Neon and I ended up getting around 2 extra miles per gallon. I was driving about 60 miles one way to work each day, so I think it was worth it. Now I have put the drop in filters in my Dodge Stratus and Hyundia Elantra. Both seems to get maybe an extra mile per gallon with them in. I recharge mine like once a year and they seem to hold up pretty well. So I think with gas prices climbing, it might not be a bad investment to getting just a little better mileage per gallon.

I put had a K&N CAI kit on a 97 Dodge Neon and I ended up getting around 2 extra miles per gallon. I was driving about 60 miles one way to work each day, so I think it was worth it. Now I have put the drop in filters in my Dodge Stratus and Hyundia Elantra. Both seems to get maybe an extra mile per gallon with them in. I recharge mine like once a year and they seem to hold up pretty well. So I think with gas prices climbing, it might not be a bad investment to getting just a little better mileage per gallon.

Every little bit helps anymore.

Fuel Economy

Fuel economy testing and mileage claims are a tricky business. Just ask the EPA, whose website states, “EPA’s fuel economy estimates are designed to allow consumers to comparison shop. Your fuel economy will almost certainly vary from EPA’s fuel economy rating. This is based on a number of factors, such as weather, road conditions, your driving and maintenance habits, and your use of air conditioning.” Under Gas Mileage Tips they go on to say, “Replacing a clogged air filter can significantly improve your car’s mileage”. A lot of exaggerated claims are made in the marketplace by products claiming to improve gas mileage. K&N makes no general fuel economy claims, however we encourage you to try our air filter for yourself. Keeping air filter restriction as low as possible can be an important tool, among others, for maintaining high mileage. For more info read what some of our users have to say on the K&N testimonials page.

Quoted from K&N's website.

If you are dilligent about removing it and cleaning/oiling it yes it will outflow a standard paper filter (probably not by a lot though)- but for the pita factor I have abandoned them for the drop in cheap paper filters more frequently.

we did some testing on K&N filters over in pontiac world (big inch pontiac motors) and found that they actually hurt performance in a number of situations

those filters that have element in the top, so that air flows in the top and in the sides actually created some turbulence that killed off the line performance.

Air filter on car: Bogged off idle before kicking in

3.00 filter on car: perfect

and yes, i don't like the oiling factor

wondering if you've used enough oil, or too much...etc

seems like, in the long run...the paper element will be cleaner and probably in better over-all condition (because you'll change it more often)

...something to think about

My K&N is on the shelf

I've don'e a intake for the sound before. If someone is interested I will do a dyno test of K&N vs Paper. But someone has to pay for half of my filter as I have no need for it.

I'm dynoing as soon as the new clutch is broke in

I disagree. It'll gain at least 100whp.

Only if you put the K&N sticker they come with in a visible location. :p

I have one in the STI. I don't hink they do much in newer cars since the stock intake systems tend to flow pretty well. But older cars, I can certainly see a drop-in filter helping a bit. Most newer cars I've seen have filter elements that probably flow the same about as the old circular type that used to sit on top of the big V8s, and these are for 4-cyl cars. Even a paper filter will have little enough restriction in that instance.

A better intake tract (like a CAI) may help, depending on the design of your stock intake, but I would research it deeply. Certain stock intake designs flow plenty as is. And with a probe-type MAF, a different piping design can cause a dangerously lean condition.

Now if I were to get another filter, I think I'd probably get a nano-fiber filter:

http://www.ultimatesyntheticoil.com/Filters/Ea_Nanofiber_air_filters.htm

It's easy to clean (just use a vacuum or compressed air), traps particles MUCH smaller than normal paper would and makes a K&N style look like an open intake, and flows air nearly as well as a K&N style. I only found out about them AFTER I bought my K&N.. :p