Any real gains with K&N

351mach11647545510

K&N is a waste, the damn recharge kit is more than a paper filter, and like on my camaro the filter is big enough that you can't recharge it twice in one kit. Don't waste your money, pain in the ass to clean it anyway.

Guest 78novaman

Why not just modify the air box (or build one) that uses a larger paper air filter? Sort of like how old V8 rodders would double stack round elements.

Sorry to hear you bought a new maf hotwire. You could have fixed the old one with a $5 can of electrical contact cleaner.....

Only if you put the K&N sticker they come with in a visible location. :p

I have one in the STI. I don't hink they do much in newer cars since the stock intake systems tend to flow pretty well. But older cars, I can certainly see a drop-in filter helping a bit. Most newer cars I've seen have filter elements that probably flow the same about as the old circular type that used to sit on top of the big V8s, and these are for 4-cyl cars. Even a paper filter will have little enough restriction in that instance.

A better intake tract (like a CAI) may help, depending on the design of your stock intake, but I would research it deeply. Certain stock intake designs flow plenty as is. And with a probe-type MAF, a different piping design can cause a dangerously lean condition.

Now if I were to get another filter, I think I'd probably get a nano-fiber filter:

http://www.ultimatesyntheticoil.com/Filters/Ea_Nanofiber_air_filters.htm

It's easy to clean (just use a vacuum or compressed air), traps particles MUCH smaller than normal paper would and makes a K&N style look like an open intake, and flows air nearly as well as a K&N style. I only found out about them AFTER I bought my K&N.. :p

I like the sem images, makes for a good comparison.

I have the AEM dry cone filter on the cougar. Just rinse with water, dry, put back on. No oil bs to deal with.

We stopped using them in the offroad world due to that filter being able to pass water very well compared to just having to replace a paper filter at some point:-) The K&N cone filter setup is probably the #1 cause of ruined engines out on the trails. The thing becomes a straw when you get in a mud hole and thats not good.

Evan

I noticed a slight gain in mpg's on my pathfinder, not sure if it boosted hp though. Just be careful with oiling a filter like that, as someone mentioned it can cause problems for something like a mass air sensor or possibly others. I only shake the dust out of mine and don't oil it.

I went against my better judgement and got one. I am getting 2-2.5 miles more to the gallon without changing my driving habbits. hell i actually drove it pretty hard and got that. plus the past couple of days haulin around a trailer my mpg's just went down to what it was before I got the filter. The way I see it is it will pay for itself within a month or two.

unless it causes your engine to die in a year or two :)

Yea - they work. Taking the air filter off your car completely will help gas mileage too. But I wouldn't recommend it for the same reasons I wouldn't recommend K&N :)