Military . . . Ya, Nay?

I had a question for those in the service, for those of you that are senior members. I'm sure you read my sob story about my latest dilemma in regards to my now ex-girlfriend.

Before graduating high school I had always tossed around the idea of joining a branch of the military but ended up getting caught in a damn long relationship at the time and didn't want to 'throw it away'. Instead I figured I'd do something that could keep me at home for the woman and also have a loosely similar setting so I pursued becoming a police officer, which I'm about to wrap up school for.

But now since my girlfriend left me, I've come back to thinking about joining. I know quite a few of you on here are serving currently or at one point in time have done so. I understand each persons reasons for joining are not the same. But as a whole, how do you like it?

I'll add since I'm so close to graduating and getting my degree I would do that first and pursue this immediately following. I have a few friends in the Army/Marines and they are gun-ho about what they do which has been nice to see.

I'd get this out as well, I wouldn't be joining to run away from my current at home problems, I just think it would be a great life changing experience. So any input would be greatly appreciated.

So to wrap this short, any reasons as to why or why not pursue a future serving the country?

Cliff notes for the lazy:

- Girlfriend left me overnight for another guy after 3 and a half years

- She had been the reason I didn't leave in the first place, but it had always had my interest

- Just looking for some input into positives and negatives of joining

I was never in the military, and looking back I kind of wish I had. I've had a number of friends who did, and my father was as well. The one thing I gathered from all of them was that it was the most difficult and demanding time of their lives, but also one of the most rewarding.

The only positive is the bling it puts on a resume. The way the army's been changing lately I'm glad I'm out (tomorrow is my last day in the military). You'll be surrounded by people who had no other option in life, i.e. complete fucking retards. It's been fun seeing new places, but going there with the military is like visiting a place on a class trip with rules and wake up times etc. Having to take the same classes over and over on shit you'll never need gets old real quick, and having power-tripping "bosses" try and lead people who are nobody's in their civilian job is frustrating, sometimes downright comical. Common sense isn't very common in the military. Anyways now that I'm out and can reap the benefits I'm glad I joined.

This is also very true, its prolly the same in every branch, your going to deal with alot of bullshit,but thats the way life seems to be. you will see this starting day one in bootcamp.

Depends on if you go active or guard. I was first guard then switched over to active. Like Brian said, there will be the bottom of the barrell with nothing left in life, but then you'll have those that did it out of patriotism and other reasons. It's not all bad people, but the people are what make the military. I've loved being in the Army since day one. There's lots of BS involved, but when you get to do the high speed live fire, demo ranges, and other maneuvers, it's all worth it. I say if you want to do it, don't do a job because it sounds cool. I never listened to my old man who told me either go in as an officer or pick a job you can use on the outside. I was dumb headed and became a combat engineer. Not much in the civilian sector relating to demolitions, mine clearing, obstacle breaching, CQB combat, Bradley Fighting vehicles, or weapons. Find something you might be able to utilize in the world, like telecommunications, or computer shit. It may not be high speed kill kill shit, but you'll be compensated when you get out (if you do). I went back to the Guard last year, and will say compared to active, it's a joke. But if you like $$$ for school, extra pay check, and something different to do one weekend a month 2 weeks a year, I'd go guard. If you got any questions on the army side, you can shoot me a PM, I can answer a few of them. Been around the army thing for a while, so I've seen a few things.

what branch are you looking into??

To be completely honest, at this time. I'm not entirely sure. Most likely the Army. But right now I'm just looking into things, I'm open to pretty much any branch. Right now I'm just trying to get a feeler for everything.

Scott is right (well scott's dad was right anyway) if you join plan for your future. Trying picking an MOS that you can use in the civilian world and it will help you in the long run. If you get in and like it so much you want to blow shit up and make a career then you can make your decision after, but going in trying picking something technical with alot of training. When I was thinking about it I think I was either looking at Diesel Technician or some sort of surveyor (<the sign on bonus for this was like 35k or something rediculous).

Have you considered Air Force? Alot of guys in other services will give you shit for it but I CONSTANTLY heard how the Air Force was all around better than any other service. Mostly in the treament of its recruit's but in other area's aswell. Plus if your going in to an MOS with something technical in mind you really cant get much better than the Air Force. Just an idea.

Oh and what are you graduating with? Im guessing a BS but in what? That might help narrow down your choices. Have you taken the ASVAB yet?

Remember also life in the military is COMEPLETELY different for officers and for enlisted. The pay is better, housing, career choices, retirement, benefits, etc etc etc it goes on and on and on.

So... If you're graduating college, go OCS (or whatever the Army equivalent is - I was Navy) and go in as an officer. Or, in the Army, Warrant Officer at the least. That's my biggest input.

We've got several generations now of military in my family, both enlisted and officer, and what EVERY ONE of them told me was "if you can, get your commission", which I did. Best advice ever.

So I say do it. For me, I found it was both fun and sucktastic while I was in. At times being great and at times I wanted nothing more than to get out. Looking back later in life - and I think you'll find this of damn near every person who served - they miss it. That alone says something.

-----------

The comments about being around people with no other options is true if you're a bog standard enlisted E(x), but on the officer front at worse you may need to lead those people. Which isn't always fun either. Good non-coms make the world go round! BUT - Its better to lead a moron than to be in the trench next to one. And, if you're a good leader, even idiots can excel. There's pride in that.

Also, whereas in the enlisted ranks, as previously mentioned, you'd run into the retards, in the officer ranks you're running into the egotists. Its a different negative, but it is a negative being around those types. But at least the conversation is better....

Having said all that (highlighting the negative) you'll meet some of the most intelligent, thoughtful, dedicated, witty, funny, genuine, and best friends of your life in the military.

Criminal Justice, and no I haven't taken the ASVAB yet.

That opens alot of doors if you do decide on the military and afterwards want to get into law enforcement.

I had a good friend in the Coast Gaurd, he was stationed somewhere in southern Florida so you could imagine the shit he did. Everything from bikini patrol to hunting down drug runner's in go fast boats. From what I understand he was legally considered a federal law enforcement agent. You could look into the Coast Gaurd?

If i could of done it all over, I would of not did the mos I did, I was young and wanted to do everything the hard way , so i became a grunt in the marines when I had other better choices for long term, when you get out who cares if you can shoot good, or how many miles you can hump. I would never take the marines back, just my mos. only thing I wish is being in the shape I was, ive gained prolly 70lbs , im a chubby bastard now., but serious listen to what these guys have to say, do whats best for you ect.

and another thing if you do decide to join a branch, im not sure how the other branch's are, but make sure you in top health and mentaly and phy... you will see alot of guys that are in good shape and mentaly weak and just can not do it, or guys that are mentaly strong and just not able to pass standards. bootcamp for marines is 13 weeks long, and some guys get hurt or cant past standards and ive seen guys that have been in bootcamp for over 6months. If you can not past the inital pt, they will put you in PCP its for either overweight or guys that can not pass the standards, and all you do all day long is get your balls busted 24/7 and its dead time, it does not count toward your 13 weeks of training. ive herd its a living hell, so make sure you are in good shape.

If i could of done it all over, I would of not did the mos I did, I was young and wanted to do everything the hard way , so i became a grunt in the marines when I had other better choices for long term, when you get out who cares if you can shoot good, or how many miles you can hump. I would never take the marines back, just my mos. only thing I wish is being in the shape I was, ive gained prolly 70lbs , im a chubby bastard now., but serious listen to what these guys have to say, do whats best for you ect.

I used to be 175LBS soaking wet, but now I'm close to 230ish. I miss being able to smoke a half pack of camels and run a 14:20 2 mile like it was nothing. If I were to do it again, I would've gone air farse or some nice pecil pushing job with computers. Then head into the civilian sector and rack in some $$$$$$. Ground pounding loses its fun after a while.

I did 6 years in the Air Force as a crew chief on KC10 aircraft. It was the best years of my life. I've been around the world and back I don't know how many times. As someone else stated it makes your resume twice what it is now. I never went to college, but now I work for the Department of Defense. If you choose a government job after the military...all that time counts, for vacation, retirement, etc. I'd recommend it to anyone.

Guest v8_What?
Go chair force, they have it easy.. get paid more too.

That is a retarded comment.....they do not get paid more! :bs:

suffocateXfaster if you have some questions send me a PM. I can answer some of the questions you might have. I know enough to answer anything you are looking for!

I am still active duty in a horrible job of:

http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c400/chris2669/recruiter.jpg

Depends on if you go active or guard. I was first guard then switched over to active. Like Brian said, there will be the bottom of the barrell with nothing left in life, but then you'll have those that did it out of patriotism and other reasons. It's not all bad people, but the people are what make the military. I've loved being in the Army since day one. There's lots of BS involved, but when you get to do the high speed live fire, demo ranges, and other maneuvers, it's all worth it. I say if you want to do it, don't do a job because it sounds cool. I never listened to my old man who told me either go in as an officer or pick a job you can use on the outside. I was dumb headed and became a combat engineer. Not much in the civilian sector relating to demolitions, mine clearing, obstacle breaching, CQB combat, Bradley Fighting vehicles, or weapons. Find something you might be able to utilize in the world, like telecommunications, or computer shit. It may not be high speed kill kill shit, but you'll be compensated when you get out (if you do). I went back to the Guard last year, and will say compared to active, it's a joke. But if you like $$$ for school, extra pay check, and something different to do one weekend a month 2 weeks a year, I'd go guard. If you got any questions on the army side, you can shoot me a PM, I can answer a few of them. Been around the army thing for a while, so I've seen a few things.

depending on how good of a demolition man you are you can make loot to blow up old buildings in places like vegas and nyc there was just a show on the history channel or discovery about it you might look into it if you really like to blow stuff up

:)

If you are that close to your Bachelor's, for sure get that and then go OCS to one of the branches. Everyone will pimp their branch, but make no mistake, the Air Force has the best standard of living, bar none. I went enlisted Air Force for 4 years, 3C0X2 Computer Programmer, and got my degree in Computer Science while I was in. The nice thing about that job is that at the time it was the #1 or #2 job (right there with Linguist) in the Air Force. You had to take a special test to get in. I worked with some very smart people. Every once in a while when I had some base detail of some sort, I'd get to work with a bunch of retards in a lot of the other jobs. :)

You'll make more money as an officer, will be in an off base apartment if you are single (most single enlisted live on base in a dorm), and generally just be treated better. The adjusted started salary back when I was in (late 90's) for a 2nd Lt. was around $40K. I'm sure it's more now. The experience you gain will be so valuable, you have no idea. No one ever cares what college I went to, they see I was military and that speaks volumes about my work ethic right off the bat.

Most jobs as an officer in the Air Force, outside of the typical pilot/navigator/etc., you will be managing enlisted folks. A buddy of mine went to OU for weather, tried to get in as a weather officer, and ended up being an IT manager. He got out a few years ago after putting in about 6 years and makes six figures easy. Get the right job as an Air Force officer and you'll have a much better time lining something up as a civilian.

I loved my time in the Air Force. Best decision I ever made in life. The only thing I really miss is getting paid to go to the gym, being in great shape, and the people. I'm still really close to guys I worked with via e-mail, even though I physically haven't seen most of them for almost 10 years now. I make a kick ass salary and am prepared for most anything life gives me due to my time in the military.

Any questions, feel free to PM me... :)

I've got my own plans and will be enlisting as soon as I graduate from OSU. If I weren't joining in the way I am, I would go OCS. Money is better, and being an officer is going to look pretty good on a resume.

I've got my own plans and will be enlisting as soon as I graduate from OSU. If I weren't joining in the way I am, I would go OCS. Money is better, and being an officer is going to look pretty good on a resume.

Why would you enlist if you are graduating from OSU...? Come in commissioned or you are going to kick yourself everyday....

For the thread starter, I am active duty AF over in Dayton. If you are serious, shoot me a PM and I can get you a tour and chat with you about it. As long as you know what you are getting into, you'll have a great time. There is good and bad with everything these days. It's probably one of the greatest things I've done and I would do it again. However, I can't wait to get out in a few months after serving 10-years....

Why would you enlist if you are graduating from OSU...? Come in commissioned or you are going to kick yourself everyday....

I THINK he meant to say he was 'joining' a branch after graduating but not neccessarily 'enlisting'. Wrong verbage maybe? At least thats what I hope.