Anyone ever pulled a windsheild?

Science Abuse

I took one out the junk yard for my first time over the summer from the rear window of a nissan.

flexible seraded blade knife

razor blades

i used some guitar string

Just take your time and cut slow, or maybe someone on here has one of them special tools to get them out to let you borrow.

They make a special serated wire you can get at most auto parts stores (not Advance/AutoZone) specifically foe windshiled removal. Take off any trim, force the wire through the sealant, take you time and then "saw" around the windshield. Try to saw parallel to the cut, if not slightly angled out from the glass. Gloves a great idea, possibly pliers to hold the wire. The wrecking yard guys I've seen do it use a couple of old seat belts, loop the wire through the buckles and wrap the staps around thier hands. As I said, take your time, I've also seen these guys cut into the glass if they get in too much of a hurry - or start angling in towards the glass too much.

There is another tool with a ninety degree blade and a "T" handle to pull it through - I have one, but lack the talent to uese it without cracking the glass (over and over again). But I can use the wire with great results.

I know there are special tools, but not where to get them. Tried to take one out of a Fiero once, took forever and I still broke it. Got the rear window out of it though. Just takes a lot of patience, and that urethene is a bitch.

Not sure about actual removal, but I would look into a couple of heavy duty suction cups with handles on them for the actual lifting out of the car. I've seen some glass repair guys use these and they looked like they would make the lifting and moving of the glass much easier. Wish I could tell you where to get them, maybe Home Depot?

i've seen the safelite glass guys remove and replace two cracked windshields in my driveway. they have the angled knife to saw around the glass, giant suction cups to remove the windshield, and install the new one without having to handle the edges of the windshield as they come down onto the new sealant, and finally, the battery powered RTV (or whatever sealant they used) gun--it lays down a perfect, uniform bead all the way around the windshield

• 2 weeks later...