Audi Reliability?

Science Abuse

It's a 2.8 with 93K, time for timing belts? Any idea what that job costs? I cant imagie it would be cheap. ;)

I'll be looking to trade a car worth $9,500-10,000 on this (the only local A6 Avant I can find) $7999 car. If the belts haven't been done, I may ask that they do that and some otehr such crap to even the score..... think they'd bite? :)

I'm also leary of a $7999 car who's book value is $10k in "good" (not excellent) condition. I may drive by it today.

yay!!!! it's a belt.

My roomie has an A4 and it seems like it's always wearing out suspension parts like crazy.

Yeah, they need the front end control arms/ replaced every 50-100k usually. He is likely replacing a part at a time which gets old and expensive.

Whole new front end kit is $500-600 which replaces every arm and bushing on the entire front suspension. Install it and you're good for at least 50K. Most people get to 75-80k before having symptoms.

Yeah, they need the front end control arms/ replaced every 50-100k usually. He is likely replacing a part at a time which gets old and expensive.

Whole new front end kit is $500-600 which replaces every arm and bushing on the entire front suspension. Install it and you're good for at least 50K. Most people get to 75-80k before having symptoms.

Plus all the wheel bearings

In the 30k miles I had my A4 (58k-90k) I had to do the timing belt, all 4 wheel bearings, tie rod ends, and the control arms.. I heard from the next owner that the turbo quit a few months later, lucky me!

As a comparison, in the 90k+ miles I've had my Acura, I've only had to do scheduled maintenance (timing belt + oil changes basically).

I'm sure I will end up in another Audi sooner or later, but I guarantee it will be CPO'd this time around.

Service mode ftl on the A6...prepare to remove the front bumper/grill/headlights/bracing etc...just to do the serp. belt. Not sure on how much you work on your own stuff, just a heads up. Most of the cost comes with labor b/c you have to tear half the car apart to do anything it seems. Front suspension isn't too bad as long as you don't put heavier wheels on the car, it seems like it breaks more often just b/c it has so many more parts than most cars. But yeah Carl mentioned the main things above....

It's not a horrible car, but the Germans are very proud of their parts and labor is usually longer than most cars. If you don't maintain them they tend to go into a spiral of things going wrong and ends up being junk.

The most common things I see are the front suspension ball joints, tie rod ends, abs module, egr valve, surp belt tensioner

00 A4 Quattro 1.8T, 140k miles...

Sludged engine rebuilt on Audi's dime 12/06.

Air Pump filled with H20 since 5/06. SES light on. Dont care.

Front wheel bearing and suspension: Just done

Tie Rod ends: Sunday's fun

ABS Module: Got lucky and found reman one in salvage for $100 3/07

EGR Valve: Done as well as 4 hardened hoses 5/07

Front Engine Snub Mount: done 9/07

Serp belt tensioner: Serp & A/C Tensioners on bench awaiting installation...

Anything else? :)

abs module all you do is cut it apart and resoilder the gound wires for the abs light.

I hear good things. Parts are expensive, labor is too. But think about the car you're getting, a freaking Audi. A luxury cruiser. I personally love the cars. My friend's mom's a4 only sees oem parts, and she paid $1300 for a timing belt at Motorkars. Not the cheapest cars, but I think it'd be worth it.

Sounds like you got it.

abs module all you do is cut it apart and resoilder the gound wires for the abs light.

Yeah, that wire is thinner than a human hair and is surrounded by dozens of others in a gel. Unless you are a micro surgeon, you might as well just throw it away because you'll fuck it all up. Been there, done that.

<================= NASA Certified at soldering

Yeah, that wire is thinner than a human hair and is surrounded by dozens of others in a gel. Unless you are a micro surgeon, you might as well just throw it away because you'll fuck it all up. Been there, done that.