LCD TV question

Tractor

My company gave me this TV for a prize.

http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/Element-32-LCD-HDTV-FLX3220F/sem/rpsm/oid/192026/catOid/-12869/rpem/ccd/productDetail.do

Question

I'm using DVI-HDMI connection from PC to TV and want to use a better resolution than 1216x684. Its the best resolution that I can get to work without any flicker. Is that it or am I doing something wrong (wouldn't be the first time?)

At the TV's advertised res of 1366x768 it also flickers badly. The only things that seem to flicker are horizontal lines such as those used as seperators on this forum and some fonts. Images look perfect at 1816x1024 but I get a damned flicker and some fonts become hard to read. Any ideas?

I'm sure this ain't a good TV, but it was free from work.

Also if someone happens to know where the "advertised" VGA input is please let me know because short of opening the case I can't find any.

Evan

http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/Element-32-LCD-HDTV-FLX3220F/sem/rpsm/oid/192026/catOid/-12869/rpem/ccd/productDetail.do

Question

I'm using DVI-HDMI connection from PC to TV and want to use a better resolution than 1216x684. Its the best resolution that I can get to work without any flicker. Is that it or am I doing something wrong (wouldn't be the first time?)

At the TV's advertised res of 1366x768 it also flickers badly. The only things that seem to flicker are horizontal lines such as those used as seperators on this forum and some fonts. Images look perfect at 1816x1024 but I get a damned flicker and some fonts become hard to read. Any ideas?

Also if someone happens to know where the "advertised" VGA input is please let me know because short of opening the case I can't find any.

Evan

If its flickering @ 1366x768 the refresh rate is too high more than likely, Or 1216x684 is your native res.

Question

Evan

Pg. 12 of the Owner's Manual shows the VGA In is just to the right of the HDMI In. http://www.elementelectronics.com/Manuals/FLX-3211B_manual.pdf

Pg. 33 shows how to set the video settings. It says there is an Auto setting for the VGA is this set to Auto?

Hope that helps.

I have the FLX3220F not the FLX3211B. That manual you linked was for the later and didn't help me.

Thanks for taking the time to look up a manual and help me out.

Oh well the search continues:-)

Evan

No problem. I continued to research and found that the TV can work on a PC, but you'd have to use 720p unless the TV happens to be good enough to work in 1080i mode. Since this is a cheap TV its 1080i mode will flicker and theres nothing that can be done at the moment.

Oh well it was free and its now going on the wall in the master bathroom.

Evan

If its from a PC to the television you need to change the refresh rate on your PC to a rate that you think makes it look better..everyone has a different eye..but that should fix your issue it isnt the TV .....and thats a damn good prize...was a best buy sales rep and did some installs on the side

No refresh rate setting did anything except make the problem worse. I even installed "powerstrip" and did some extremely custom settings. I agree that its likely a refresh and/or sync that needs adjusted, but I can't think of anything else to try.

The prize was for my companies Tech of the Year award. My company has a huge list of variables we use to track performance of our field service techs and in summary I did the job faster, cheaper, and with higher quality. Some of it comes down to the type of machines I work on vs other people so some guys are ruled out by default which kinda sucks, but at least its good for me:-)

Evan