NTB on 256 pissed me off...how should I report it to corporate?

Nitrousbird

Last year (around April), I took my fiancé's 2001 Sentra in to get 4 new tires and an alingment.

I normally don't go to NTB, but she blew a tire the night before, this was a last-minute deal, and her car takes a weird size.

The night before, I drove over to her, and swapped her rear right to the front right, and tossed the spare on the back (front right blew out). Everything came off easily, and I used my torque wrench to tighten down the lugs, as I ALWAYS do.

Take it in, get everything done, they note nothing being wrong w/ the lug nuts/studds. A couple months later, I put new brakes on the rear, without issue.

Today, I went to pull the front wheels to inspect the front brakes and do a rotation myself. I go to loosen nut #1 on the right front, and it is coming off pretty hard after a couple turns. I try another one, and it isn't budging...I can easily tell I will break it if I take it off. I didn't try any of the others.

I take it to NTB, to get the tires rotated by them (free w/ the stuff I purchased previously), and told them about the studd, and how they are the last people to ever touch those front wheels.

Guy at the front has an attitude, but does with everyone that I observed him interact with. Later, a dude comes up to me (that I later discover is the service manager), and states the one lug nut is stuck, and will probably break if he removes it. Quotes me ~$56 to replace it (yeah, like I'm going to pay $56 for that).

I explain the situation. He says "we couldn't have done it, we always torque our lug nuts by hand. It is probably due to age." I explain to him I came in near closing time, with 8 other cars there they needed to finish, with a 4-tire/4 wheel alingment job, and that they were in a rush, so I'm not buying that statement in this situation.

He refuses to cover the repair, I tell him to get my car off the rack. He does so, and here I am. The car is an 01 w/ 53k easy miles on the clock. I can't believe that in 11 months those lug nuts went from easy to get off to seized. I haven't checked the others, but will be doing so shortly.

I already bought a studd/lug nut, but the point is I didn't want to deal with this BS myself.

I took my previous saturn to the NTB right off of 71 and sinclair road. All I needed done was an alignment. I called them and got an appoitment. They quoted me over the phone the price if I bought the wheels and tires there ( i did not know this at the time). I took it there at 3pm on a saturday. I told them to call me when they were done and gave them my cell phone. I went out and did some other shit with my fiance. I lost track of time and called them sometime after 6pm. They were closed and I didn't know. I drove to the store and they were closed.

SO sunday at 9am I call and speak to the manager. I asked him why he didn't call me before they closed. He told me that "i told you it would only take an hour". That statement really pissed me off. I told him that I said to call me when it was done. I told him I was never coming back (shouldn't of said that on the phone). I get there and they want to charge me more for the alignment. I told him the person on the phone quoted me $X. He says thats for people who bought the tires there etc etc.

After that I got an attitude with him. I wasn't yelling or raising my voice but I explain how he wasted my time and it was wrong. I told him he should of called me 30 minutes before he closed just for the sake of customer service. I told him I wouldn't pay extra from what I was quoted before. I also asked him why he wouldn't try to rectify the situation. His response was "why does it matter you are not coming back?". Then I went into detail about at my job if we know someone will leave the company we will work anything out with them. I told him that is how customer service should be. Also I told him that his actions show me that he or his company doesn't care about me.

He didn't say anything to me after that. I paid the cheaper quoted price and left. I will never go back to that NTB. I only go to an NTB on the other side of town now because I know someone that works there. I only have him work on my car.

NTB really pisses me off.

Would never happen like that at the NTB I work at. Although it is one corporation, every store is different.

Obviously, I doubt this would occur this way at the store Derek works at either.

Usually if we have you on record that we did the work, even if it is 3 months later...it gets fixed.

Sounds like they over torqued the nuts and pulled the treads on it. I had an 04 Impala that came into work the other day for a tire rotation. Fought to get every single one off (even using an Ingersoll Titanium Impact). Ended up having to replace every lug nut on the car and 3 of the wheel studs. I checked the lug nuts afterward and sure enough whoever torque them down the last time, way over torqued them. Luckily for the owner it was somebody from the place I work so we covered the bill.

NTB off Morse by Easton really pissed me off the other day. I slid off the freeway during the ice storm. I caught a piece of metal in the tire. I didn't realize it untill later in the day when the tire went flat. I swapped the spare on, and headed to NTB. They say sure, no problem, they can plug it. Sweet. $30 fucking dollars for a plug???? Fine. Whatever. I needed it done. A fucking hour later the guy comes to me saying they can't plug it. They have to replace it. Great. $70 later, I have a new tire. Great. Did they put the spare away? No. They just threw it in the car. WTF? That's the second time I've had a bad experience with an NTB. I won't be going back. They've really gone down hill in the last few years. Its a shame. I'd rather pay a bit more for good service.

Oh, when I had the tires replaced, they just tossed the spare in the trunk too.

So I go replace the front brake/rotors today, and replaced the wheel studd (which was being a bitch to get out, but finally decided it wasn't going to beat me). When it was at the shop, I saw that they took the lug nuts off of the driver's side front wheel. They put them back on...and imagine that, overtorqued again

The car calls for 80 ft/lbs. Torquing them to 100 ft/lbs was nearly as tight as they had them. I had to give some effort with a breaker bar just to get them loose.

I will NEVER go back. Discount Tire has always done me right. Hell, I had them break a wheel studd once, they couldn't fix it there, so they had me drive straight over to a shop nearby to fix it on their dime. They usually have better prices too.

Guys we've been through this before, I understand that in a couple of your statements you were in a rush/emergency situation, but I dont understand why people continuously go to ntb's other than an ntb with a CR guy at them or hell much less to downtown who is a sponsor of CR, and no more than 15 mins away from any part of columbus. I'm sorry about all of your experiences and the number if you feel the need to say something is 1-800-2askNTB

all I can ask is that you dont catogorize NTB as a bunch of hacks just come to the locations you know are going to treat you right.

pm me if you guys have any more questions.

and Joe if I had saw this in time I woulda done your stud for free in my garage, I dont like seeing the generalization on the internet that NTB sucks

Guys we've been through this before, I understand that in a couple of your statements you were in a rush/emergency situation, but I dont understand why people continuously go to ntb's other than an ntb with a CR guy at them or hell much less to downtown who is a sponsor of CR, and no more than 15 mins away from any part of columbus. I'm sorry about all of your experiences and the number if you feel the need to say something is 1-800-2askNTB

all I can ask is that you dont catogorize NTB as a bunch of hacks just come to the locations you know are going to treat you right.

and Joe if I had saw this in time I woulda done your stud for free in my garage, I dont like seeing the generalization on the internet that NTB sucks

Honestly Derek, you're the only person worth a shit I've dealt with at any NTB. You took care of me. Every other visit to any NTB (the one on Tuttle, the one at Mill Run, and the one on Morse) has diminished my faith in humanity.

odd. i went in to NTB on stelzer by easton a couple weeks ago for an oil change, asked them to rotate the tires, and they did it for free (dont know if thats standard, i figured theyd charge me something), and i dont think i was there more than 30 minutes...sinclair/71 for an oil change (i know, simple), and no problems with them either...the one kevin is at in grove city and he swapped tires from one set of wheels to my new ones, and vice versa, for 20$ (8 tires unmounted/remounted total), and of course, derek always does me right when hes not too busy and i can make it down there. hell, we took the g/fs car to get the oil changed some time last summer at a jiffy lube type place. they noticed a nail in the sidewall...called derek at 130 (i think they closed at 3), and he said to bring it down. he put in a temporary plug to hold until we could get it to the dealership (still had warranty on tires) for no charge. i think ive been down to have something done w/ derek 5-6 times, and never any issues...only went to the other places because i didnt have time to get downtown, or he was too busy that day

Ehh, I did it myself for what, $8. Would have taken longer to take it over there to have it fixed; only reason I wanted 256 to do it was I was already going to be out buying parts, and since they caused the issue, I wanted them to fix it.

As for NTB, I know every store is different. I won't be going back to that one. I wasn't even pleased when I went the first time, but didn't have a choice in the matter. :( Had my fiancée (g/f at the time) been the one making the purchase, I know for 100% certainty she would have spent $300 more on tires that were not appropriate for her.

Honestly Derek, you're the only person worth a shit I've dealt with at any NTB. You took care of me. Every other visit to any NTB (the one on Tuttle, the one at Mill Run, and the one on Morse) has diminished my faith in humanity.

You called me once didnt you? I tried to hook you up mang. :( Same would go for any store I work in. If not....I wouldn't work there.

+1

MOST TIRE SHOPS SUCK ASS, PERIOD. i've had lugs seized up on three different cars of mine--my '90 grand prix twice, and my cobra. this happened at discount tire in hilliard twice, and at firestone tire shop. the second time discount tire spun the stud in the spindle on my cobra :asshole: , and i had to have rob lasota press a bigger knurled stud in place--discount tire DID end up paying for this.

i don't know what these ass--clowns are doing. i've been working on cars for literally 15 years--since i was 16 years old. i've taken the wheels off all of my 5 cars, and all my previous cars COUNTLESS times, and never had an issue. i tighten the lugs by feel, and have never, ever had a problem myself in 15 years. yet out of the 7-8 times i've had my cars to tire shops they've fucked up almost 50% of the time. its bad enough that when i got new tires on the wife's '99 sentra, i put the car on jack stands and took all 4 wheels to discount tire to get them switched, and put them on my car myself.

• 2 weeks later...