Blown Motor in 1998 Malibu

TTQ B4U

A buddy of mine has a 98 Malibu that's in good shape, but unfortunately he and the wife went to start it up and the oil pump decided to fail. It seized in his driveway so now he has a big paperweight.

I'm just trying to give him a sense of what it's all going to cost for various options.

Does anyone here have any insight on options / costs?

Junk it if it's the Quad 4 motor. Honda East said Ashley's '98 Malibu was worth $300 for trade lol. To me, it would be more economical to just get something else.

Yeah, sounds like a Quad 4. My sister's did the same thing in her Grand Am. I ended up putting a junkyard motor in it. I'm trying to get her to sell it b/c there's more problems.

They are pretty pricey to get from the junkyard compared to other cars I've swapped.

Thanks everyone. I'll pass on the info to my friend. The car is really in good shape, I've driven it before the issue and it's clean/solid. So it sounds like it would be worth it if he plans to keep it and drive it or keeps it in the family more than fixing it and selling it.