sell or fix it

jfiveeight

Locked the block last night, bolt holding the oil filter came loose. No idea on what shape the internals are in but, i'm expecting the worst. Do i rebuild and hopefully get it right (i don't know how well the previous owner had the build, it had wiesco pistons and should have had eagle rods/cleavite bearings.) i would plan on going groden rods, JE pistons, stage 3 buschur block, stage 3 head, AEM ems, shep transmission. The other option would be part it out and i would buy a Smart or something. I've had a lot of problems with other parts, alternator still quits out sometimes among other things. Really depressed and looking for people to respond and i put this in the kitchen cause it's kind of a pointless thread.

FOR THE PEOPLE WHO CAN'T READ:

1. destroyed engine.

2. sink another ~10k into the talon or part what's left and buy something else.

3. already in tons of debt, but really want to keep the talon if it somehow starts wanting to work.

FOR THE PEOPLE WHO CAN'T READ:

1. destroyed engine.

2. sink another ~10k into the talon or part what's left and buy something else.

3. already in tons of debt, but really want to keep the talon if it somehow starts wanting to work.

For the people who can read, you have given us no indication of your age, budget, or if this is your daily. All of those things have a lot to do with how I would answer your question.

If it were me, I wouldn't even pay 10K for a DSM of any iteration, but it's because I don't like them. Therefore, I could not stand to sink another 10K into one I already paid for.

For the people who can read, you have given us no indication of your age, budget, or if this is your daily. All of those things have a lot to do with how I would answer your question.

If it were me, I wouldn't even pay 10K for a DSM of any iteration, but it's because I don't like them. Therefore, I could not stand to sink another 10K into one I already paid for.

this is a really good response, i hope the next one with the following information is even better.

I'm dumb and looked towards having the DSM as my daily, i'm 20 years old/m/ohio and looking. My budget has been shot with this car, i've spent near 20k (including the price of the car) fixing, replacing and upgrading a lot of the parts (and labor cause i suck at life). If i could get the car to a point where it would be DD worthy with 7-10k more, i could barely make it. So i don't know what it would sell for if it was working, if i parted it out i would hopefully see 5k or so (turbo, driveshaft/axle, radiator, wastegate, header, wheels, intercooler, misc). But on top of that i could most likely put up another 2-3k to get something or put towards a loan.

this is a really good response, i hope the next one with the following information is even better.

I'm dumb and looked towards having the DSM as my daily, i'm 20 years old/m/ohio and looking. My budget has been shot with this car, i've spent near 20k (including the price of the car) fixing, replacing and upgrading a lot of the parts (and labor cause i suck at life). If i could get the car to a point where it would be DD worthy with 7-10k more, i could barely make it. So i don't know what it would sell for if it was working, if i parted it out i would hopefully see 5k or so (turbo, driveshaft/axle, radiator, wastegate, header, wheels, intercooler, misc). But on top of that i could most likely put up another 2-3k to get something or put towards a loan.

Sell it and get yourself a toyota.. you'll thank me.

If you want to keep the car, take your $3K and buy a beater. With something to drive every day you could slowly spend money on the car and if it's down it won't kill you. If you are sick of it, sell it and buy something reliable until you make more money. It really depends on where you want to go, but IMO you should not mod a car that gets you to work every day.

If you want to keep the car, take your $3K and buy a beater. With something to drive every day you could slowly spend money on the car and if it's down it won't kill you. If you are sick of it, sell it and buy something reliable until you make more money. It really depends on where you want to go, but IMO you should not mod a car that gets you to work every day.

agreed

Part it out and look into an 03 WRX.

Or another option is to go the disposeable car route. Get a junker for $500 and get rid of it after a year. Cheaper than payments and you can either hold onto the DSM and work on it, or part it out and save for something nicer.

But overall, it sounds like the DSM isn't being any fun for you and is only costing you money. Like a girlfriend that's a constant drain on your wallet, it's time to make her someone else's problem and look for something more reliable.

Locked the block last night, bolt holding the oil filter came loose. No idea on what shape the internals are in but, i'm expecting the worst. Do i rebuild and hopefully get it right (i don't know how well the previous owner had the build, it had wiesco pistons and should have had eagle rods/cleavite bearings.) i would plan on going groden rods, JE pistons, stage 3 buschur block, stage 3 head, AEM ems, shep transmission. The other option would be part it out and i would buy a Smart or something. I've had a lot of problems with other parts, alternator still quits out sometimes among other things. Really depressed and looking for people to respond and i put this in the kitchen cause it's kind of a pointless thread.

Fist of all I agree with everyone else. At that age Im going to assume your not really grounded in your career yet and probably need something for dependable transportation that wont kill your wallet.

Second of all, what are your intentions for this car? Everything you described mod wise would be great for a track only/race only car. But for a DD?! DSM's are cheap speed. Yes you can go all out with each and every part and run 11's. But a stock rebuild kit for a 6bolt is like 450$. Find a engine builder and you could get it thrown together for a couple hundred rather than spending 3k+ on a Buschur racing block. Stage 3 head? why? again what are your intentions. Ive heard guys running 11's on stock head's and stock 6bolt blocks, its very possible it just seem's like you want the best of the best for each part but you dont neccessarily NEED those things depending on your goals.

Ignore my last post. If you are in debt because of your car you should really take a look at your priorities. Going fast is fun as long as it doesnt interfere with your life. I'm not sure if it's an ego fix, a fun hobby, or an addiction, but you are digging yourself a hole. Keep it up and you will be 30 paying for DSM parts that you got when you were 19. Forget the modding scene and focus on the life and better job scene. You can then come back to the fast lane with a better car and more money to put in it.

Go with what ever way is cheaper and puts money back into your pockets.

An kills me the amount of shit u talk about my SRT muahahah wanna 40roll right now?? Lol j.k man like I said hit me up if u need some help

J, sell that p.o.s (thats dsm in spanish) and get somthing differnet, but whatever you do dont listen to paul, he doesnt even have a head light. theres nothing like listnening to a guy with half a car who is baisically in the same boat as you with car problems.

J, sell that p.o.s (thats dsm in spanish) and get somthing differnet, but whatever you do dont listen to paul, he doesnt even have a head light. theres nothing like listnening to a guy with half a car who is baisically in the same boat as you with car problems.

phil i had myheadlight out to get forced air stright to my intake asshat... j man sell the dsm and buy a camaro lol