The Modern GTO: Import or Domestic?

Rally Pat

american. the car is a pontiac, pontiac is an american car company. 99% of the other shit-heads on the road assume its a G6 or a cavalier. it will also break parts/have issues like any other american car.

Then does that make any Acura an american car? How about Inifiniti?

no, i don't care if those cars are assembled in the US, they're not american

But the GTO wasn't manufactured in the US. It was manufactured by Holden in Australia, then shipped to the US.

So by your own rules, its an Import.

Yeah, but doesn't holden use all GM parts? Might be the same thing as a Chevrolet getting built in Japan. Would Japan consider it an import?

Thats the part that makes this argument interesting. Its almost like what if Mazda sold LS1 FD's from the factory.

Using this argument, you could also say that the Koenigsegg is American because it's motor is a modular Ford.

But the GTO wasn't manufactured in the US. It was manufactured by Holden in Australia, then shipped to the US.

So by your own rules, its an Import.

i'm well-aware (see sig). the car basically has the running gear of the corvette, and i'm pretty sure the body panels are US, even though if you look at most of the ancillary parts (radiator, etc.) they say made in australia

I thought Acura was an american car. Now hear me out. Honda came here to us to make cars. I realize Honda owns/is Acura, but I thought Acura was "invented" here? I mean Acura doesn't even exist in Japan does it? Like thier NSX was called the Honda NSX, not the Acura NSX.

Does that make sense?

Jackson

For me it's simple, not built in the U.S. then it's an import.

Most japanese brand cars are more american than american brand cars anymore. The Accord and Civic are great examples, both are built here in Ohio and probably 90% of their parts content is from here in Ohio and the U.S.

For me it's simple, not built in the U.S. then it's an import.

Most japanese brand cars are more american than american brand cars anymore. The Accord and Civic are great examples, both are built here in Ohio and probably 90% of their parts content is from here in Ohio and the U.S.

Trufff. But what do you consider "not built in the U.S."? Just curious.

I thought Acura was an american car. Now hear me out. Honda came here to us to make cars. I realize Honda owns/is Acura, but I thought Acura was "invented" here? I mean Acura doesn't even exist in Japan does it? Like thier NSX was called the Honda NSX, not the Acura NSX.

Does that make sense?

Jackson

Thats the point I was trying to bring up. Brands like Acura and Infiniti, as well as Datsun and Lexus don't exist inside of Japan.

Ie Honda NSX/Acura NSX, Toyota Altezza/Lexus IS300, Nissan Skyline/Infinity G35

Trufff. But what do you consider "not built in the U.S."? Just curious.

The assembly of the car itself built outside of the U.S. border, meaning Mexico, Canada, or anywhere else and it has to be transported into the U.S.

Does that make sense?

Jackson

yeah Acura is a domestic company, founded in America, but they still are a part of Honda, so i think it is in the same boat as the GTO. It has ties to more than one country.

Since NO car is 100% from single country anymore, the only way I still use to determine import/domestic is by which country the company originally came from. Ford, GM, Chrysler, DOMESTIC. Honda, Toyota, Mitsubishi, BMW, Mercedes. IMPORTS nuff said.

My opinion is pretty much what country/region they are put in on the Gran Turismo. Not that I take the info GT gives to be mine, but they seem to have a pretty good idea of what comes from where. I also really don't think of a car by where the parts are made from, but more of what type of part they are and the design of the car, somewhat like stereotyping. Like big V8 torque American, high revving light weight Japanese (and a few other Asian countries), and good handling luxury touring European type cars.

Ok, so Honda's built in marysville are domestic now then right? All gto's were not built in Australia. Like all the G8's are not gonna be built in Australia. Holden is basically a GM company. They are funded, etc... therefore it is domestic. It is a (New) style domestic :D

What? All 04-06 GTOs were built in Australia.

Nope, just all of the ones that were made in Australia were actually made in Australia. The rest were made in Australia.

BTW.... my trans am was made in Canada, and this post was made in Taiwan.