Stern will be available in every GM vehicle!

SpaceGhost

As long as the FCC doesn't fuck it up.

http://www.mtv.com/news/articles/1583982/20080324/id_0.jhtml

Howard Stern Meets Oprah? Sirius, XM Merger Approved By Justice Department

Deal must be approved by Federal Communications Commission.

By Chris Harris

The U.S. Justice Department on Monday (March 24) approved the merger between satellite radio companies Sirius and XM more than a year after the two companies first announced the initial deal. According to its Web site, the Justice Department's Antitrust Division cleared the merger after determining that Sirius' takeover of XM would not harm competition or consumers.

"After a careful and thorough review of the proposed transaction, the Division concluded that the evidence does not demonstrate that the proposed merger of XM and Sirius is likely to substantially lessen competition, and that the transaction therefore is not likely to harm consumers," reads a statement on the approval. "The Division reached this conclusion because the evidence did not show that the merger would enable the parties to profitably increase prices to satellite radio customers for several reasons."

Those reasons, according to the statement, included "a lack of competition between the parties in important segments even without the merger; the competitive alternative services available to consumers; technological change that is expected to make those alternatives increasingly attractive over time; and efficiencies likely to flow from the transaction that could benefit consumers."

The merger was first proposed in February of 2007 as a way of stemming billions in losses incurred in attracting on-air talent, sports deals and subscribers. Sirius, home to Howard Stern, Martha Stewart and NASCAR, claims 7.67 million subscribers, while XM, which broadcasts all Major League Baseball games has such headline talent as Oprah Winfrey and Opie and Anthony, has 8.57 million, according to Bloomberg.com.

Next, the merger must be approved by the Federal Communications Commission; a ruling is expected in the coming weeks. Both companies, in an effort to gain FCC support, derived various pricing packages, including an a la carte pricing system. As a result of the merger, Sirius and XM subscribers — who are now asked to pay $12.95 a month — could end up paying substantially less (as little as $6.99, with the proposed tiered pricing). In addition, the combined company plans to eliminate duplicative programming, including a number of music channels.

The deal's main opposition came from the National Association of Broadcasters, the trade group that represents free radio stations, which waged a lobbying campaign in Congress and at the FCC to stop the merger, arguing that it would create a pay-radio monopoly.

Shareholders of the two companies approved the combination in separate special meetings on November 13. More than 96 percent of those who voted approved the transaction, according to The Washington Post.

"The likely evolution of technology in the future, including the expected introduction in the next several years of mobile broadband Internet devices, made it even more unlikely that the transaction would harm consumers in the longer term," reads the Justice Department decision. "Accordingly, the division has closed its investigation of the proposed merger."

Yeah, here's the info from XM I got yesterday.

Sirius/XM

MERGER UPDATE

On March 24, XM announced that the Department of Justice (DOJ) had approved the proposed merger with SIRIUS. XM is pleased that after a thorough review, the DOJ agrees that the entertainment marketplace will remain highly competitive and robust after our merger.

With the DOJ's decision behind us, our next and final regulatory step will be a decision from the Federal Communications Commission (FCC). Soon after FCC approval is obtained, XM and Sirius would complete the merger.

The combination of our companies will lead to more choices and better pricing for our subscribers, and result in a stronger competitor in the rapidly evolving audio entertainment market.

As we have said, no XM radio will become obsolete as a result of the merger. We have millions of radios in use, including many that are factory-installed in automobiles. After the merger, our subscribers will not need another radio to continue to receive programming like they now enjoy. The XM platform will continue to offer a full complement of programming to our millions of subscribers.

We'll communicate directly to our subscribers once the FCC has rendered its decision.

http://www.xmradio.com/announcement/index.xmc

Out of curiousity, were any Sirius or XM users asked by their respective companies how they felt about the merger? I would think that would be one of the priorities. Personally, as long as pricing doesn't go up, I'm all for it, for now.

Stern fucking rules.

And so does Bubba.

Guess what, Sirius was right; they paid him 1/2 BILLION dollars + stock options, and saved the company. Had XM gotten him (and not made some of their other STUPID mistakes), Sirius would be dead and gone.

I enjoy the politics talk and love when Tucker calls in. I'd much rather listen to political talk than about who's going to be at the local Playboy house since I'm not a guy. I also love when Ned makes prank phone calls, the one where he called the arch dioses (sp, I'm not catholic) in Boston was awesome.

I have not found a morning show I like, since he left the Blitz...I tried Grego, but he that show was barely above water. I had XM the whole time I had the Impala, now I don't, here he comes....DAMN!!!