Is it worth it?

V8 Beast

I'm starting to have a hard time making my mind up about modding my car any further. I do want to squeeze a little bit more power out of it, but that "regret" thread made me think. Is it really worth it at this point??? No matter what I add I'm not going to see the huge gains like I did before...

Cam swap/ $1100 (includes cost of install) = 15 - 20hp

Port Fast 90/ $500 + shipping both ways = 10 - 12hp

Port/mill AFR heads/ $700 + shipping both ways = 10 - 20hp

About $2400 for a gain of 35 - 52rwhp.... worth it?

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

well...it definately has to do with frame of reference. Many in the BMW community pay that money for that kind of HP as their first mods and can't really get much more without going FI. :(

you do get to a point of diminishing returns, which it sounds like you've reached. So I vote no, do not continue down the modding path you've mentioned.

You mentioned working on the nut behind the wheel, so if you've got that money to spend, then spend it on track time, tires, maintenance, and most importantly GAS...drive the car and enjoy it. It won't be cheap this summer!

Stop changing the car and start taking it to the track. Find a cheap trailer, fill your own nitrous bottles and drive the shit out of that thing this summer. Driver mod and shaking the current setup out will net you your biggest gains at this point.

depends on your uses. I look at it this way....will you really use all that HP and go fast fun above and beyond what you have now on a regular basis or only at the track? if so, what is each worth to you.

it's a cost per day thing to me. I could put $2k in my car and I'm sure go much faster than she runs now, but I've yet to even need more than what I have now for my daily fun on the streets....and I'm no granda driver. I just don't expect to go out and race the likes of you or many others here, but I can live with that.

we all have our hobbies and vices though. ;)

Brian,

I agree with Ray to the n'th degree.

But if your were thinking of going a differnt route, you can get a built L92 (414 or 427 which ever the flavor) for around 4700 hundred! Callies componets as well! Then get a set of heads, and your making 550 NA then spray 150 whammy 700 wheel an your in the 9s for around say 7-8 thousand dollars, and Im certain you could easily sell some of your parts now. Just an idea, im certain you have considered.

I'm in the same boat with mods. Do I spend the $1K or so for the pulley swap, blower port, and tune (already have the pulleys, so under $1K to finish it off) to gain that additional 80 HP / 100 TQ to hit 500 RWHP / 500 RWTQ? Decisions, decisions... :marc:

I'm in the same boat with mods. Do I spend the $1K or so for the pulley swap, blower port, and tune (already have the pulleys, so under $1K to finish it off) to gain that additional 80 HP / 100 TQ to hit 500 RWHP / 500 RWTQ? Decisions, decisions... :marc:

I'd say no to Brian but feel like a yes to this.

TO V8 Beast: If you want to go FI, then I say head in that direction. Enjoy the car this year and lay plans to have it apart next winter. Upgrade your "Driver Gasket" and put the money towards the forged internals you want.

Now this is worth it. $12/hp is a good ratio. V8 Beast is looking at nearly $50/hp.

ask silvercobramike if he is happy those kind of numbers.