Judge: Learn English or go to jail

dragknee66

This is great!!!

http://www.cnn.com/2008/CRIME/03/27/judge.sentence.ap/index.html

WILKES-BARRE, Pennsylvania (AP) -- A judge known for creative sentencing has ordered three Spanish-speaking men to learn English or go to jail.

The men, who faced prison for criminal conspiracy to commit robbery, can remain on parole if they learn to read and write English, earn their GEDs and get full-time jobs, Luzerne County Judge Peter Paul Olszewski Jr. said.

The men, Luis Reyes, Ricardo Dominguez and Rafael Guzman-Mateo, plus a fourth defendant, Kelvin Reyes-Rosario, all needed translators when they pleaded guilty Tuesday.

"Do you think we are going to supply you with a translator all of your life?" the judge asked them.

The four, ranging in age from 17 to 22, were in a group that police said accosted two men on a street in May. The two said they were asked if they had marijuana, told to empty their pockets, struck on the head, threatened with a gun and told to stay off the block.

Attorneys for the men said they were studying the legality of the ruling and had not decided whether to appeal. One of the attorneys, Ferris Webby, suggested that the ruling was good for his client, Guzman-Mateo.

"My client is happy," Webby said. "I think it's going to help him."

The judge sentenced the four men to jail terms of four to 24 months. But he gave the three men, who already had served at least four months, immediate parole. Reyes-Rosario remains imprisoned on an unrelated drug charge.

Olszewski ordered the three to return with their parole officers in a year and take an English test. "If they don't pass, they're going in for the 24 [months]," he said.

Olszewski is known for outside-the-box sentencing.

He has ordered young defendants who are school dropouts to finish school. He often orders defendants to get full-time employment. But he also has his staff coordinate with an employment agency to help them find the jobs

I agree completely he is not being extreme in my opinion he is simply doing what should be done. If you live in this country learn the language I am not going to go to Germany or China and live there and not learn the language it doesnt make sense.

In the end it helps them and the rest of the community in case something happened again, they will be able to communicate with people around them.

I saw that this morning also, and I agree, it is good. Seems more and more rare to see someone standing up for our country and way of life instead of pandering to those of foreigners.

Fuck. NOT the point. I've meant plenty of people of all races born here in the US that are damn near impossible to understand and stupid as a rock. The fact they are Hispanic is irrelevant. What's important here, is that the judge has given them a sentence that can actually be helpful to themselves and society, irrelevant of where they're from, they're background, etc. BTW, has it dawned on you that they obviously aren't illegals?

I'm so tired tired of hearing "foreigner this, foreigner that", shit. We're all foreigners here. How quickly we forget how this country was founded and built and what it meant. If everyone wants to continue feeling this way, maybe we should just go ahead and remove that annoying plaque on the Statue of Liberty while we're at it. Do yourselves a favor and read it. Really read it.

The New Colossus

Not like the brazen giant of Greek fame,

With conquering limbs astride from land to land;

Here at our sea-washed, sunset gates shall stand

A mighty woman with a torch, whose flame

Is the imprisoned lightning, and her name

Mother of Exiles. From her beacon-hand

Glows world-wide welcome; her mild eyes command

The air-bridged harbor that twin cities frame.

"Keep, ancient lands, your storied pomp!" cries she

With silent lips. "Give me your tired, your poor,

Your huddled masses yearning to breathe free,

The wretched refuse of your teeming shore.

Send these, the homeless, tempest-tost to me,

I lift my lamp beside the golden door!"

Emma Lazarus, 1883

• Confused 1

Christian, I believe you are taking the term "foreigner" too literally. I think the word has broadened a bit in its meaning. We are not foreigners as we have adopted our parent nation's customs and things like that. The "foreigners" do not do that, they come and live the same way they did in their previous homes. They do not even try to adopt our way of life, we are supposed to bend to their will.

Quite frankly, I'm sick of everyone saying we are foreigners. Everyone was originally foreign, EVERYWHERE. I personally am not foreign no matter where my ancestors were from.

not very good at it but i knew what you said

and +1 to the part christian said about a type of judge who is doing something that actually helps someone out instead of just sending them to jail, but not the other parts hippy

Christian, I believe you are taking the term "foreigner" too literally. I think the word has broadened a bit in its meaning. We are not foreigners as we have adopted our parent nation's customs and things like that. The "foreigners" do not do that, they come and live the same way they did in their previous homes. They do not even try to adopt our way of life, we are supposed to bend to their will.

Quite frankly, I'm sick of everyone saying we are foreigners. Everyone was originally foreign, EVERYWHERE. I personally am not foreign no matter where my ancestors were from.

I can see and agree with what you're saying. There is one thing I wish to point out, though. In your statement, you generalize all "foreigners". Some of the most "patriotic" people I have ever met, were foreigners.

The problem I have, I guess, is that too many people lump into groups and it's undeserving. It's no more deserving than assuming I'll steal your car and/or your woman because I'm Puerto Rican or that I can't leave my house for more than a weekend without assuming my white neighbors will claim "Manifest Destiny" and take my home and yard for their own.

The term "foreigner" has taken on a derogatory meaning. Yes, this country was founded by "foreigners". But as for immigrants, since that is the issue now, and more importantly, "illegal immigrants", we do have laws that need to be enforced. If you want to come here, follow the law. One part of that law (to immigrate and become a US citizen) is learn the language.

I saw this report the other morning, the biggest part that steamed me was the immigrant rights activist/attorney that kept saying "the government" needed to do more to teach these people english - BULLSHIT! You chose to come here - know the rules and get it done - it's your PERSONAL RESPONSIBILITY. If you're not competant enought to know/do this - then stay where you are, we've got enough "natives" (US born-not Native Americans) that don't understand this without adding more government aid candidates to the overcrowded gene pool.

I've meant plenty of people of all races born here in the US that are damn near impossible to understand and stupid as a rock.[/b]

I agree, many native-born Americans are lacking in the intelligence department.

The fact they are Hispanic is irrelevant. BTW, has it dawned on you that they obviously aren't illegals?[/b]

This is what is irrelevant.

I'm so tired tired of hearing "foreigner this, foreigner that", shit. We're all foreigners here. How quickly we forget how this country was founded and built and what it meant.[/b]

We're not all foreigners. I live within 20 miles of where I was born, so a foreigner is one thing I am not. You need to re-think this.

this is great! what does sending someone to jail do? a lot of times they just end up back in a few months after they get out. this isn't only good for society, but good for the convicted too. he is giving them a second chance at life, and they would be stupid not to take advantage of it.

as far as the foreigner thing, well, i guess im a foreigner of this state since i was born in indiana. not a foreigner of this great country though!

Just to clear up any possible misconceptions. I think the judge's sentencing was excellent. We need more judges like this. I also agree you should make an attempt on learning the language. My only problem was any beliefs or negative assumptions brought upon a group of people as a whole.

Also, the fact these guys weren't kicked from the States tells me they were not illegal. This means one of two things. They weren't born here but gained their citizenship without the ability to speak English. Hmm.

Or, they were born here which makes them as American as you and I. Which makes this whole "I hate immigrants" shit a bit pointless.

Wait, I have one more thing. But this reflects on them as individuals again, not a group. They already knew English and were f'n lying. I've experienced that, as well and not just with Mexicans or any other Latino.

My point? Stop grouping people into "easy to hate pods" and learn to recognize them as individuals, equals and fellow human beings.

Dammit, can't we all just get along? ;)