Truckers going on strike?

Casper

Brian, rail has been on the increase for a while now. Intermodal especially has become more used than before. It's good to see the rail getting the business back it deserves, especially as vital as it is to our country. I wish we had the passenger rail system a lot of othere countries do, hell you can take them almost anywhere in Europe!!

Alright heres the scoop, Everytime the Fed cuts interest rates the value of the Dollar deflates, As the dollar deflates the more it costs for our "Fossil Fuels". The only thing the truckers are going to do if they strike is lower demand for deisel. Which ultimately will lower the price by a few cents here and there. Inflation is inevitable, with the dollar where it is. China is buying up trillions of dollars in US Bonds and we are sitting back not doing anything about it.

Ah... I call myself an idiot for only knowing half of the story, thank you for the links

Yeah when I was in Germany we took trains everywhere, they had stops inside little neighborhoods like a bus in the states. I know California has a nice train system too, wish Ohio would pick up on it.

We're too good for rail. We're getting electric trolley :rolleyes:

The rail system in New Jersey is pretty decent as well. We took the train from Trenton (beginning of the line) to NYC (the end of the line) for $21 round trip with no ticket times. It took about an hour 15 on a Saturday morning. A train that went like Cincy->dayton-> Toledo Cincy->Columbus->Marion then split to northeast ohio or cleveland, with stops in bigger towns along the way would be GREAT.

so if they can't get resonable gas prices they intend to block traffic by going 45mph? pretty dumb and will not get my support if they do.

go park their trucks and get another job and leave the innocent folks out of it.

I feel for them, but interfering with the rest of traffic isn't going to help their cause.

How do you come to the conclusion that everyone else on the road are "innocent folks"? Do you not purchase goods transported by truck? If the cost of shipping goes up, the cost of goods go up. By interfering with traffic they draw attention to their cause. Same with any strike, disrupt the flow of traffic into a business people wonder why. Disrupt the flow of traffic on the highway people wonder why. If all of the independents parked their trucks and got another job, millions of tons of cargo would have to be picked up by the corporations which lead to a huge back log. Then there would be the affect on the economy of all the truckers who now have trucks parked in their yard costing them money as they still have to pay the bank note and they are not making money from that vehicle. If the truckers got organized enough and did hold out on strike it would have an impact on everything from diesel prices to the wages they are payed. Look at what the teamsters did back in the day. It happens all over the world by all different groups to further their cause. Look at what truckers in Puerto Rico did a couple years ago.

http://www.workers.org/2005/world/puerto-rico-0804/

The price of bread hasn't gone up but look at eggs, milk, ect.

Funny, I go grocery shopping regularly; eggs and milk are pretty much the normal prices I've been paying for quite some time. Meat seems a bit higher these days, but nothing really noticable. Cereal same as always, same goes for cheese. Butter is going for the same rate as always. Hmmm, beer seems about the same too. Now that I think about it, so is pre-packaged salad and salad dressing, peanut butter, etc.

My grocery shopping > your theory.

Funny, I go grocery shopping regularly; eggs and milk are pretty much the normal prices I've been paying for quite some time. Meat seems a bit higher these days, but nothing really noticable. Cereal same as always, same goes for cheese. Butter is going for the same rate as always. Hmmm, beer seems about the same too. Now that I think about it, so is pre-packaged salad and salad dressing, peanut butter, etc.

My grocery shopping > your theory.

Certain items aren't affected by inflation. Don't you know anything? :rolleyes::p

With the way that energy costs are shifting, I think it looks like trains will be more efficient for long distance transportation & shipping.

Trains have always been a more efficient means for large quantities, which is also why the Intermodal business is exploding right now. Container enters west coast off a ship, gets wheels, needs to come to Ohio with 100 other ones, instead of 100 semi's to pull them to here 1 single train moves them to Chicago and them they are brought here by truck. I'm sure it's vastly cheaper to do it this way which is how a lot of stuff gets here nowadays.

Brian, I wish we had their system too as I would use it. My dad talked about being in Germany in the army and whenever they wanted to go somewhere else, it was usually a train and quite affordable.

how often does a semi truck have to fill up? How many miles does the average semi truck drive on a fill up?

my dads 04 volvo gets around 7-8 miles per gallon on highway loaded. somtimes worse or better depending on the wind ect. he never gets huge heavy loads so the guys that are like 35k-40k lbs im sure are hurting.

I take that back its 6 per mile when loaded. and he has dual 120 tanks

240 @4 gallon almost 1k everytime. so he has to fill up about every 1000 give or take, miles due to stop and go traffic ect.