Ford Spring Super Swap - Pricing Question

excell

It's been YEARS since I've been to the super swap. I need to get some restoration stuff for the SVO to start (weather stripping, trunk shocks, etc.) but I'm going to be out of town this weekend. Are the prices cost-effective enough that it's worth having someone who doesn't know anything about cars go down and attempt to purchase these for me (and the un-doubtable amount of phone support I'm sure to incur) or are the prices pretty reasonable compared to 5.0 Resto and other online aftermarket dealers?

I really wish I was in town; I want to shop for some other items. :(

Thank you.

Chris

It's been YEARS since I've been to the super swap. I need to get some restoration stuff for the SVO to start (weather stripping, trunk shocks, etc.) but I'm going to be out of town this weekend. Are the prices cost-effective enough that it's worth having someone who doesn't know anything about cars go down and attempt to purchase these for me (and the un-doubtable amount of phone support I'm sure to incur) or are the prices pretty reasonable compared to 5.0 Resto and other online aftermarket dealers?

I really wish I was in town; I want to shop for some other items. :(

Thank you.

Chris

Prices are usually awesome if you can find the right stuff. It is easy to deal with them too; especially if they have more than one item you need.

You will have a HARD time sending someone who doesn't know anything about cars. Hell, I have a hard time finding shit in that place and I know what I'm looking for.

I think the spring/fall swaps are all over priced used junk thats why you see it from year to year the same crap, I think the new stuff is pretty much on par with Mail order

I dunno. I got GREAT deals on the body parts I needed after a deer hit me.

Their are some deals out their you really have to know what parts are going for, used original parts do go for a higher price, some is junk some just needs some attention and some are ready to go.

As far as new parts from like CJ or Classic design you can find some deals here as well, but for the most part they are pretty close to usual retail price, you will save on shipping though. Personally I feel CDC is way to high on their parts, I've found that CJ has good prices will run show specials and has alot of inventory on hand.

If you send your friend w/ a list of stuff thats spelled out w/ part, year, color etc and give a general idea of the costs he should be able to figure it out w/ new parts. Used parts is a different animal.

Those parts you listed aren't specific to the SVO's. You could use 79-86 and prolly up to 93 hatch shocks, weather striping and dew wipes. I've been slowly replacing the weather striping on my 89 and it's just flat out expensive every where I look.

For those that asked....The Swap Meet is Sat. April 5 & Sun. April 6,2008 at Ohio State Fairgrounds.

I think the spring/fall swaps are all over priced used junk thats why you see it from year to year the same crap, I think the new stuff is pretty much on par with Mail order

There is some junk, but you can catch some great deals on stuff at these. :D Also on Sunday right before it is over you can usually catch some better deals because they don't want to haul the stuff back with them lol.

Yea, most of the things I need now are used across all 84-86 or 79 -93 Fox cars, which is why I wondered if things like weather stripping can be had for something ridiculous like 50% off the retail price. That would be worth it to me. But if it's 5% cheaper or the same as retail, I'll just buy it online.

Now if I could go I would be shopping for a few SVO-specific items because they'll just be too hard for the average person to identify.

When my brother and I went we found pretty good deals on brand new weather stripping. It was significantly cheaper than places such as 50resto, etc. Sure, some of the guys are rip offs and think they are selling the most rare Mustang parts on the market, but some are reasonable (especially if you need body parts!).

Yeah in my experience its better to be a seller than a buyer there--- they seem quite overpriced and a lot aren't aware of this or willing to negotiate-

Usually though after a lot of walking and bs I find one guy that has a lot of good stuff and knows what it is worth and I will buy lots from him... Ex: I got a set of decent lx tailingts for 40.00 that is about what they go on ebay but you have to pay shipping... Most guys wants 60-75 I also used to go to cjponyparts to save on shipping as their prices are about the same at the show--

One year they had these awesome welded one-piece driveshaft loops for 20.00 and I passed- before my car got serious- then I needed one and they weren't there...

my .03 cents.