Tell me about this project...

Putty

I said hell with it and went and bought a wet saw yesterday...I got home and started cutting all these angles you see for the backsplash I am putting through my whole kitchen....Any thoughts or ideas you may have? Just laying it out on the floor in actual measured size up/down to the way it will be on the wall..

http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h3/Ridepix/pic005.jpg

http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h3/Ridepix/pic006.jpg

http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h3/Ridepix/pic004.jpg

You can buy pre-made designs like that to save yourself some time.

What do you mean...like several big pieces that already have a pattern? If so, it's kinda too late for that consider what I have into what I have already and since i've cut it....it's mine.

Yea, they make pre-cut sheets of designs like you're making. They're glued to a plastic mesh backing. You just lay them out as part of your design, grout them, and you're set. Perfectly spaced, saves you some cutting, and some work.

But, since you went ahead and bought a saw, you minus whale use it. :lol:

I will probably add spacers today just to make sure the measurements are right. I will probably start laying it tonight or tomorrow. Pre-made would have been nice, but i'll appreciate this more.

I actually just finished a similar project with my dad. It's a much larger scale ( 4x4 stand up shower, and a spa surround ), but we used the pre-made mosaic things too. It sounds we have the same Lowes saw you mentioned, too. It works pretty well, but kinda gets water everywhere.

Any questions you may have about artistic tile, or bathroom refinishing in general would be answered by going to the Hamilton Parker store. The place is downright awesome, you should definitely go there and discuss what your plans are before you start. You will not be dissappointed, the place absolutely delivers.

It sounds we have the same Lowes saw you mentioned, too. It works pretty well, but kinda gets water everywhere.

Does yours have a laser on the edge of the blade guard? If so, that's it. It does get water everywhere..I have it on my garage floor and there is a nasty puddle of slate powder and in the stress cracks of the floor it's filled. I'll be power washing it out once done. I got started on the wall lastnight. It's easier than I thought it would be. How do I get the mortar off the face of the slate once it's dry? I wasn't able to do too much wiping while it was wet cause it would slide. You can see the fine line I left at the top and bottom for the grout...

http://img237.imageshack.us/img237/9494/pics007jt2.jpg

Thats one of the problems of using all the small pieces instead of the pre-fab stuff. Its hard to wipe off the grout because of the sliding.. The other thing is that you may have had too much grout on the back of the tile if it was sliding around like crazy.

That project looks like its going to take you some time.

Thats one of the problems of using all the small pieces instead of the pre-fab stuff. Its hard to wipe off the grout because of the sliding.. The other thing is that you may have had too much grout on the back of the tile if it was sliding around like crazy.

That project looks like its going to take you some time.

Grout goes in the cracks....Mortar is what's on the back and the wall. I put enough so it sticks and be falling off. I am being careful not to get any on the face of the slate..If I do, I am wiping as much as possible. If I work at it all weekend....I should be able to start grout work on Sunday.

Grout goes in the cracks....Mortar is what's on the back and the wall. I put enough so it sticks and be falling off. I am being careful not to get any on the face of the slate..If I do, I am wiping as much as possible. If I work at it all weekend....I should be able to start grout work on Sunday.

Sorry,, brainfart... yeah just wait until the 'mortar' dries more before you grout it, once you grout it, let it set for a short period and you should be able to clean the front with a warm wet cloth and some elbow grease without too much concern for it sliding.. Too bad tomorrow will be filled with tearing apart that quad or you may be able to get it done.

I dunno..It was $150 at Lowe's...It's easy to use. I'm done with it now....until I cut small pieces for sockets..

I will be borrowing that this summer when we lay tile. look good so far. Pesonally If you can try to keep the pattern random, it will look better once you have everything done.