Oppinions wanted

Tindall2006

So, my talon is running like a beast, and i am slowly getting my maintance stuff done. I am not starting to look at upgrades.

first, i need to replace the transmission (getting one Friday) and at the same time I am going to put a stage 3 clutch in it. I also plan on getting a boost guage very soon.

Another maintenance/upgrade thing I am going to do is aluminum IC piping.

After that, I am ready to start adding some power mods. The main one I have in question is the exhaust. Should I do...

Option one, just but a 3" turbo back exhaust on it, no cat, just muffler? Pro's, it would get the job done, allow me to boost quicker and based on other testing give me around 20 WHP.

Con's, Be really loud, No cat is illegal, but i don't have emission’s testing here... Also, installed it will probably be 300+ depending how cheap i can get it.

Option two, Do a 3" down pipe that will bolt up to the stock cat, and before the cat, put an electric cutout on it. Pro's give me the same if not more HP and turbo spool advantages. I will still be able to maintain stock sound and loudness level. Be a cool sleeper advantage, it will be cheaper (300 tops is what I am looking at right now) and, if a cop catches me being too loud, i can close it, play dumb and hope he doesn’t give me shit (i doubt this will be a issue)

Cons, Still illegal... that is all i can think of really

give me an opinion of what you think!

Con, still illegal, but i really don't care

You have an exhaust leak. That's what you say.

I'd go with the cutout. But do you need 3 inch piping? 2.5 might be cheaper and provide just as much of a gain, that is if you're running a stock turbo.

Good idea...

Really, I have looked and a 3 inch downpipe that will bolt up to the stock exhaust is the same price as a 2.5,

The cutouts are the same price too. I also one day plan on upgrading turbo's, so i want to keep my options open, spend a little more now, spend a little less later.

I have also debated screwing going hard mount Ic pipe and just finding a used FMIC, dunno if i will do that.

Ah. Well if they're the same price, go for it. I know on my Starion that the 2.5inch compared to the 3 inch on a stock turbo is that the 2.5 performs just as well as a 3, but with a bigger turbo it does make a difference. If you're planning on going bigger turbo, I'd go for the 3" then.

Now, on the car, do you have the crappy fabric "piping" for the IC?

yes, and i am sure it is full of boost leaks... i can see some cracking in area's.

Right now i am taking to a guy that has a FMIC for 200 used, with piping, and it will allow me to keep my AC an all that happy stuff. So I may jump on that...

if not, alum piping!!!

PS...

I ran a cutout on my first talon for my 16g turbo. Yes I ran mid 11s (with nitrous) but it was a pain in the ass and eventually got stuck. If you only summer your car it might work, but the carbon residue will still build up and never close completely.

Novel idea but poor performance overall.

PS...

I ran a cutout on my first talon for my 16g turbo. Yes I ran mid 11s (with nitrous) but it was a pain in the ass and eventually got stuck. If you only summer your car it might work, but the carbon residue will still build up and never close completely.

Novel idea but poor performance overall.

That is a bummer... couldn't i just remember to clean it out every now and then?

My opinion... Two things to save you down the road

#1 - get the fmic. It can't cost more than a few hundred more (or the same, depending on what used parts you find) to get a well put together fmic kit, compared to hard piping. Just pony up and do it. But, make sure that it is easily adaptable if you go to a big turbo sometime down the line.

#2 - I would go the simple route, 3" all the way back with no government power suckers added. I thought the same thing you are thinking when I first bought exhaust for my (old) talon. Got a full 2.5" with a high flow cat. One summer later I was replacing the cat with a test pipe, and one summer after that, I had done fmic, turbo, etc etc, and was wishing I had a 3". And as stated earlier, the 3" is minimal if any price up. Everyone who thinks "ehh this'll do" when it comes to performance car parts will always regret it later.

Just my $.02

well, the intercooler sold already. I might keep an eye out for another week or so then see what way I am going to go. I have thought about just buying a core on ebay along with some pipe and putting it together myself, except i don't have a welder.

My opinion... Two things to save you down the road

#1 - get the fmic. It can't cost more than a few hundred more (or the same, depending on what used parts you find) to get a well put together fmic kit, compared to hard piping. Just pony up and do it. But, make sure that it is easily adaptable if you go to a big turbo sometime down the line.

#2 - I would go the simple route, 3" all the way back with no government power suckers added. I thought the same thing you are thinking when I first bought exhaust for my (old) talon. Got a full 2.5" with a high flow cat. One summer later I was replacing the cat with a test pipe, and one summer after that, I had done fmic, turbo, etc etc, and was wishing I had a 3". And as stated earlier, the 3" is minimal if any price up. Everyone who thinks "ehh this'll do" when it comes to performance car parts will always regret it later.

Just my $.02

I can get the upper hard piping for like 70 bucks... i forget what the lower was.

Like Ken said I wouldn't trust such a cheap clutch. There are plenty of proven brands like ACT 2100/2600 out there.

Make sure you use good couplers with that I/C piping, a friend of mine did hard pipes and used cheap couplers and they liked to blow off. A super side mount I think would work better than an fmic for a stock turbo and be cheaper too.

For the exhaust I would just run a 2.5in turbo back, a 3in may not fit your stock o2 housing if it's not the tapered type and I doubt gets you much of a gain over a 2.5in on a stock turbo and will be cheaper.

Just my .02

I will be getting a new O2 housing for sure.

I am not going to do 2.5 unless if I get a killer deal on one. I posted earlier that I plan on putting a bigger turbo on this car in the future, so why buy a 2.5 now then later want a 3"

If you frequent tuner's you will see tons of reviews of this clutch and they are all very good. It's 130 bucks, if it last me untill i head to iraq, SWEET, if it last untill i get a rebuild/upgraded tranny, sweet.

I do respect your oppinions and appreciate them, but do you have any experence with this particular clutch? or are ya'll just sterotyping it.

Granted, if i put it in anyways, and it blows up, then ya'll will have full range to laugh at me then lol... but for 100 bucks, it isn't that big of a risk to try.

^Were just going off the tried and true "you get what you pay for" and it almost always is relavent when it comes to something like this.

If it wasn't for hearing first hand from people running this clutch and having very good experiences with it, I would run away like hell. I figure if it is good enough for them, running more power then I will be anytime soon, then it should be good enough for me.