where to go muddin' with impunity?

Science Abuse

Hehe tomorrow my club has invited novices to come and trail ride down there. There will be some with tires that sized I'm sure. Of course with the rain we got today (hehe I sacrificed a puppy to the rain god) those people will be having a challenging time out on the trails. Actually I'd be surprised if we can even cross one of the creeks, but I bet I know who gets to go first and I'm trying to remember if I put my transmission vent high enough:-)

Evan

I ram up and down this ditch a few times this weekend, and paused once to snap a foto of my wheel in the air.

http://img178.imageshack.us/img178/4530/3wlwl3.jpg

It was only about a foot deep and vertical on the sides (before I got there). Mostly slop with a basketball sized rock stuck in there. I just liked zig-zagging back and fourth through it in 2nd (locks it in 4x4). Never had a hint of getting stuck, and that's with shitty potenzas. It's no truck, but I'm happy with the car. :)

• 3 months later...

Riverside drive in Dublin. Drive under the 270 bridge and turn west... while your'e still under the bridge. You'll see a dirt pull-off, leads to two dirt trails that go down a respectable hill to the river. Head upstream to the emerald parkway bridge, under there you'll find soem slop and some ruts, apparently people have been using it.

You're bound to find some people fishing down there, though, so try to be respectfull.

• 5 weeks later...
god i hope you find a deep hole and your next pic is just of the roof rack:)

It wouldn't take much of a mudhole to accomplish that. I'm sure I can still remember some places to pull that off.

Eric, is that creek even deep enough to canoe down?

If your interesting you can register for our Novice trail ride for next weekend down near Tar Hollow state park a little east of Circleville. We ask that people register so that we get a count of people. Its possible that its getting late to request the info packet and forms to mail back, but we can give them to you the day of the ride as long as we at least get an message that your coming.

Also the vehicle your driving needs to have a 4wd low range selection in your transfer case. Other than that anything goes.

www.ohio4x4.com

At the moment we have 20-25 vehicles coming for the ride at least one of which is a `07 FJ Cruiser. Guy must be nuts because its gonna get dirty and scratched to hell at the least and dented or broken in the worst case (hehe see I slipped my disclaimer in there.)

Besides the places my club rides which are legal township roads typically 2 hours from downtown columbus there aren't really any legal areas around to ride. Wish I had a hill I could at least point my truck up to tune my carberator on, but no go here in central ohio.

Evan

I <3 the logging roads

Eric, is that creek even deep enough to canoe down?

lolz, no! :lol:

(actually yes, but you're point is made.)

I actually expected it to be a bit deeper than it was, but alas, twas weak sause. I do have a concern with going too deep: My flat 4 engines spark plugs are closer to the water. I'd be afraid of having spark problems in much more than 18" of water.

So I take it that all you hardcore mo'fo's will come along next time? It has been raining.

So I take it that all you hardcore mo'fo's will come along next time? It has been raining.

Is this up here you are talking about, or down your way? I'm off work tomorrow, and I've been itching to play on the quad. It only takes a minute to load it up and be on my way.

EDIT - Eric, if you are concerned about spark you can get stuff at the parts store that will seal up all of the connections. You would want to hit the ENTIRE ignition system, I'm sure that its all pretty low. Of course, the other thing to worry about is getting water in the intake, and short of an ugly ass snorkel, there's not much you can do about it.

EDIT DUECE - If you submerged your diff's, you need to drain out any water that got in and regrease. Also check wheel bearings, that shit don't like water. My previous offroaders have never been able to go highway speed, so I wasn't all that concerned about, but in a car that can do 100+ you want to be sure everything is how it should be after subjecting it to whats out there.

Is this up here you are talking about, or down your way?

It's up in dublin, the bridge in the picture is 270 and the river is the scioto.

Do you trailer your quad or just toss in in a turck bed? Unless you're comfortable parking a trailer and unloading your quad on riverside drive, I wouldn't bring one. :) There's a 30-40deg dirt/rock hill that you have to go down to get to the river banks. There is zero cover at the top of it. Unfortunately I can't show you a good google earth of the area because it's all covered by bridge. :)

What is the spark plug stuff called? I'ma have to get me some. My "snorkus" is gone, the lowest point on my ain intake is above the headlight. the diffs and bearings stayed fairly safe this time around, but I'll make it a point to check'm when I get crazy.