Rwd

V8 Beast

So I'm looking at cars to replace my Envoy and I noticed something.... Why is it that certain cars can have rear wheel drive and be considered year round daily drivers while others are considered death traps in the snow? I know my TA handles like shit in the snow. Its better with bricks in the back, but it still pretty much sucks. Do these people with cars like the 300c fish tail around all winter?

Well, many newer, especially nicer, cars have traction control and/or stability control. Some even have other safety features and/or more sophisticated equipment. Also, do you run a really good all season passenger tire or dedicated winter tire on your car in the winter? One other thing you may want to consider is the HP to weight ratio on a powerful sports car. Same rules apply in snow/wet/ice/cold that apply in dry pavement; the powerful the auto, the easier to break traction. Oh, one more thing. On our cars, we tend to run a wider tire. In conditions like snow, a wider tire will actually hamper you.

The Dodge Charger, 300c, and Magnums do have traction control and have a stabilitly control systems in them. From what I have heard from owners of the cars, they handle very well in the snow/rain/ice and most have no worries about driving them in those conditions. As with driving any car in those conditions, it just takes being smart and knowing how to drive.

Those all work better than driving a Ford Taurus with the parking brake on thorugh the snow. :nono:

In my defense, it was a foot brake and the brake light didn't work, as well. "Damn, I just can't seem to gain control of it!" Rear end sliding along the edge of a dropoff and 3 of us trying to get out of there because we had disturbed the people around there trying to cardboard down a hill. lol

you'll be fine in ones that have stability control. basically in safety mode the car will modulate braking and power to keep it straight.

mine is FWD, but still, you won't spin her in the snow or ice. you'll make a bigger arc going around a curve or if you enter the curve way too fast you could still plow, but overall, she's pretty fuck up proof in bad weather. even with wide ass summer only tires.

I've driven an R/T in the snow and it was pure joy to have the power push the car vs pull it, yet maintain stability through the curves and not have the back end come around on you during take offs.

I won't buy another car without the safety stuff. doesn't make sense.

So I'm looking at cars to replace my Envoy and I noticed something.... Why is it that certain cars can have rear wheel drive and be considered year round daily drivers while others are considered death traps in the snow? I know my TA handles like shit in the snow. Its better with bricks in the back, but it still pretty much sucks. Do these people with cars like the 300c fish tail around all winter?

I already have the TA so drivability trumps awesomeness. I dont want to have to rely on stabilitrac to compensate for a cars over/understeer, or the traction control throwing my pedal back at me everytime the car slides a little. I'll stick with awd... I've driven rwd for long enough to know I'm not going to purchase a car like that on purpose if some of you say they are crap in the winter.

Rear wheel drive cars are all gonna be mostly the same in the snow unless one happens to be heavier than another car your comparing. It all comes down to just a few simple things really. RWD needs weight over the rear tires, real snow tires help tremendously, and a light foot. All of these things require an informed driver and a prepared driver.

Also if your finding the snow is deep and you need more traction, lowering the air pressure will help a lot. Remember as you cut your air pressure in half your also cutting your ground clearance, but at the same time your increasing your tire "foot print" so your not really losing ground clearance and your adding traction. It also helps get the front tires to roll up and over the snow as an added bonus.

Of course I'm not taking any traction control stuff into consideration. I'm talking plain old RWD cars.

Evan

I drove my Miata all winter, no traction control or ABS, and it weighs nearly nothing. The only time in the last 2 winters that I have not been able to go somewhere due to snow was the "blizzard" of 2008. Get yourself a set of good snow tires and call it a day.

Think about cars before the 80s, they were all RWD, and people got around okay. I think it just takes a different driving style. Present company excluded most people are too stupid to drive a RWD car in the snow. I love the snow, I had a blast driving in it, and I drive an S-10 everyday, no weight in the bed, and I just expect it to slide.