GM Parts guys...

caseyctsv

OK I have a 2005 Pontiac Vibe and I really like the steering wheel - far better than what I have on my 2002 Trans Am. The question is - what would I need to get the wheel in the Vibe to fit the Trans Am? My first thought is it should be easy as they are both Pontiac's and only 3 years apart. However, the Vibe is really a Toyota Matrix underneath so I suspect it will be a Toyota part. Any way to check how compatible they are without actually tearing them apart?

I would prefer that I keep the airbag but I am pretty sure that is going to be a problem as well.

its not illegal just not smart.

In states that have inspections, it's illegal to remove any safety equipment. Here in WV if I took my steering wheel out and put one in without an airbag I'd get redflagged and it wouldn't pass inspection.

In states that have inspections, it's illegal to remove any safety equipment. Here in WV if I took my steering wheel out and put one in without an airbag I'd get redflagged and it wouldn't pass inspection.

but this is Ohio.

I have had some GM steering wheels out, I really don't think the Vibe/Matrix wheel is even close to your T/A. I do know however that the Grant wheel adaptors for 3rd gen F-bodys are supposed to work on 4th gens if you want to go that route. You can also measure the resistance of the airbag and install a resistor to keep the car thinking its still there.

I have had some GM steering wheels out, I really don't think the Vibe/Matrix wheel is even close to your T/A. I do know however that the Grant wheel adaptors for 3rd gen F-bodys are supposed to work on 4th gens if you want to go that route. You can also measure the resistance of the airbag and install a resistor to keep the car thinking its still there.

I hope you're not suggesting that someone hook up an Ohmmeter to an airbag circuit.

A DVOM supplies a small amount of power to check resistance. It's not a good idea to do that.

I guess I'm just lucky then, but I didn't care if the airbag blew. People should play it on the safe side and just leave the damn thing alone anyway.

I guess I'm just lucky then, but I didn't care if the airbag blew. People should play it on the safe side and just leave the damn thing alone anyway.

you would if it was in your face upside down so the metal bracing and backing hit you.

I just love setting them off :)