Ohio Teacher Refuses to Remove Bible From Students' View

Earl1647545488

They're not firing him, they're not asking him to renounce his faith, they're just asking him to put it away. I agree that they shouldn't even need to do that, but its the attitude that he's being "condemned" that makes these kinds of stories get blown out of proportion.

You not very well informed.

When the school board meets, if he has not removed his bible they will seek termination of his job.

Regardless of how I feel about organized religion, telling someone they can't have a belief (and freedom to be open about said belief) is the same as forcing religion on someone else. They both = suck, and as long as the guy keeps it out of his curriculum, no one should care.

School is in the wrong, unless the have a policy that states he is unable to keep that out in open view.

Just because a person has a bible at there desk in plain sight does not mean that the school or that teacher is/are favoring anyones religious beliefs.

This is pretty much what I wanted to say.

There is no law that states an individual can not have a bible out. If hes not teaching it, he is not in the wrong.

From the above article:

The ACLU SAYS: "As a public school employee, the fundamental rights of freedom of speech and religion don’t necessarily convert inside the classroom. The ACLU of Ohio supports the Mount Vernon Board of Education’s request that Freshwater keep his Bible out of sight when children are in the classroom."

Christine Link, executive director of American Civil Liberties Union of Ohio: “The courts have recognized that our teachers have a special position and they can’t use their post to promote [religion].”

Exactly how is he "promoting" religion?

Link said that as a citizen, the ACLU would defend a teacher’s right to his or her beliefs outside of the classroom. However, inside the school it becomes a different scenario altogether.

Exactly when has the ACLU done this for a Christian religion?

“The relationship [between teacher and student] is special,” Link said. “The teacher is a hyper-authority figure and they can’t promote religious beliefs or even political views.”

Except for "Global Warming" = a political agenda.

“If it’s in a desk, locker or in the teacher’s lounge, it would be fine,” Link said. “It is not permissible [to display his Bible] at work. You have to pay the piper when you are at work and follow the rules of your employer. [As a] public employee, [a teacher] has less rights to proselytize their religion.”

A Bible in plain site is "proselytizing"?

“The school system is doing exactly the right thing,” she said. “It is actually acting in a way that is protecting them from a lawsuit from the ACLU; and if not from us, from some other group.

In other words, the ACLU will not only not defend the teachers rites - it prefers the any Constitutional interpretation that snuffs out religious observance.

She said the school board does not oppose religion, but that it is “protecting the establishment of religion in schools,” as deemed by the U.S. Constitution.

WOW-now he's not just "promoting" but "establishing" religion in the space of one article!

I was apprantly a little off on my ACLU definition - ACLLU should be Atheist Civil Liberal Liberties Union. Speaking of unions, where are the NEA and local teachers unions - they love to help incompetant teachers keep their jobs!

The word in Mt. Vernon this morning is the school board has fired the teacher for not removing his bible. Christian persecution continues today. I see a good legal battle coming here in Knox County.

Since when is it ok to supress the majority for the complaints of the minority?

Update:

I have found out that he was not fired today, but the school did list an opening for a science teacher.

• Upvote 1

So he was teaching the bible in class and burning crosses into the students arms ? If thats true than fuck him, good riddance.

^ Im not making that up, hopefully the students are and that didn't happen.

So he was teaching the bible in class and burning crosses into the students arms ? If thats true than fuck him, good riddance.

^ Im not making that up, hopefully the students are and that didn't happen.

That is not true...

I know several students from the middle school and he was not burning anything on students. As for him teaching the bible, the only time he preached at school was during the meeting of the FCA (fellowship of Christian Athletes), off school hours. The pastor of our church also preaches for the FCA.