The power of the police - how much is too much?

copperhead

http://wcbstv.com/local/machine.guns.subway.2.707398.html

Machine Gun-Toting Officers To Patrol NYC Subway

M4 Carbine Rifles, MP5 Submachine Guns & Bomb Sniffing Dogs Part Of New "Torch Team" Anti-Terror Efforts

Reporting

Magee Hickey

NEW YORK (CBS) ― More protection against terrorists is coming to a subway station near you. Starting Thursday, special bomb teams, known as "Torch Teams," will be toting submachine guns and bringing bomb-sniffing dogs onto the platforms and into the trains. CBS 2 HD was out first thing Thursday morning on the lookout for these significant security measure improvements.

It's a first for mass transit in the United States. NYPD officers, armed with rifles, submachine guns, body armor and bomb-sniffing dogs will begin patrolling the city's subway system thanks to a 50 percent increase in a homeland security grant.

The city's massive subway system has long been considered a potential terror target. Six officers and a dog will constitute a team, patrolling all platforms and trains in 12-hour shifts. The "Torch Teams" will be toting MP5 submachine guns and M4 Carbine rifles that are used by Navy seals and FBI hostage-rescue teams. The teams are being paid for by $151 million from the Feds.

Similarly equipped NYPD units, known as "Hercules Teams," have patrolled Wall Street, the Empire State Building and other aboveground city landmarks for years as a response to the World Trade Center attacks.

A police official likened the "Torch Teams" to "Hercules Teams" with MetroCards. In this age of heightened security, commuters and keen canines will share the underground world of mass transit.

"It's a very good idea. It's like a deterrent. It's going to make me feel safer, much safer, yes it will. It's a good idea," said commuter Patricia Knight Williams.

The last thing I want to see are cops with automatic weapons just hanging out in the subway. Just wait until some crack addict manages to kick off the safety and pull the trigger. For a space as confined as a subway station, wouldn't it be far more prudent to use some sort of non-lethal way to subdue people, so that when (not if) innocent bystanders are affected by the cop's weapons, they might be knocked out or in some pain, but not fucking DEAD.

I'd also like to point out the even the military quit using, for the most part, auto weapons and switched the 3 round burst. If the military doesn't even use it, why should police use it to patrol our streets? This is a fucking disaster waiting to happen.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd also like to point out the even the military quit using, for the most part, auto weapons and switched the 3 round burst. If the military doesn't even use it, why should police use it to patrol our streets? This is a fucking disaster waiting to happen.

the military quit useing full auto to save money on the number of rounds they had to buy. that and 3 round burst doesn't walk off target as fast.

http://wcbstv.com/local/machine.guns.subway.2.707398.html

The last thing I want to see are cops with automatic weapons just hanging out in the subway. Just wait until some crack addict manages to kick off the safety and pull the trigger. For a space as confined as a subway station, wouldn't it be far more prudent to use some sort of non-lethal way to subdue people, so that when (not if) innocent bystanders are affected by the cop's weapons, they might be knocked out or in some pain, but not fucking DEAD.

I'd say there wouldn't be a problem Haven't hear d any news about the Hercules Teams which have been in force for some time.

The people should be armed with the same weapons the military gets. Its no different than the days of the pistol and musket. At the time those were the end all of elite weapons too. Now excuse me while I go pick out my howitzer, because my yard would look sweet with field guns.

Evan

I dont' care what the cops have. They are not the enemy here honestly.

Give them RPG's for all I care. Tanks, who cares. If a few civilians have to die to prevent them from killing 800 so be it.

Waco, Ruby Ridge and the list goes on.

This is a trend that I have noticed over the past 15-20 years, the police have become more like the military. From the weapons they use to the hair cuts they have. Our country is becoming more and more a police state

I'm perfectly fine with it. If you think we haven't had undercover heavily-armed plain clothes officers in the subways then you're naive. The difference is taking them from the shadows and parading them around with machine guns and its effect on perception. Seeing teams of machine gun armed, specially trained officers with bomb dogs can only have a positive impact on the perception of any would-be evil doer. It's intimidating.

This isn't different than traditional officers who have patrolled our subways for years, only now they're better trained and equipped to deal with the specific challenges of an attack on a subway. This isn't limiting anyone’s freedom, it's not increased spying, it's simply better equipping those we trust our lives with.

I'm perfectly fine with it. If you think we haven't had undercover heavily-armed plain clothes officers in the subways then you're naive. The difference is taking them from the shadows and parading them around with machine guns and its effect on perception. Seeing teams of machine gun armed, specially trained officers with bomb dogs can only have a positive impact on the perception of any would-be evil doer. It's intimidating.

This isn't different than traditional officers who have patrolled our subways for years, only now they're better trained and equipped to deal with the specific challenges of an attack on a subway. This isn't limiting anyone’s freedom, it's not increased spying, it's simply better equipping those we trust our lives with.

I think that is what the German people thought in the 1930's too.

I think that is what the German people thought in the 1930's too.

There are so many inconsistencies with the buildup to the reign of Hitler that your comparison is inconceivable.

There are so many inconsistencies with the buildup to the reign of Hitler that your comparison is inconceivable.

The details may be different but history always repeats it self.

Waco, Ruby Ridge and the list goes on.

This is a trend that I have noticed over the past 15-20 years, the police have become more like the military. From the weapons they use to the hair cuts they have. Our country is becoming more and more a police state

QFT

Overkill? I am sick of cops getting away with murder and the next day somehow it as if nothing happens. I feel like all I see is cops harassing people and getting nothing in return. Paralyzed guy dumped out of wheel chair, cops photographing a naked woman in the station while theyre on duty, cops jizzes on stripper he pulled over, cop using excessive force on kids skateboarding when all he had to do was tell them to stop or leave, cops stripping innocent woman naked in a jail cell. the list goes on and on, did any of them get in trouble? maybe they get 6 months off work with pay, sounds horrible. I know I am only 18 and may be naive to all of this, I guess it has just recently hit me since I am a real person now and no longer get slaps on the wrist when I do something wrong, but in these days barely anyone get that anymore, except the police officers themselves.

/ Rant...

looks like the cops can do enough damage with hand guns....

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080425/ap_on_re_us/police_shooting

:confused:

For the record, if I am ever asked to stop by cops with guns, and I proceed to get in my car and try to get away. You have full permission to empty as many rounds into my car as possible.

:rolleyes: