People are Dumb.

Draco-REX

A customer opinion survey of Overall Brand Perception:

http://editorial.autos.msn.com/article.aspx?cp-documentid=435679

Honda is second. What's last? Acura. :wtf:

Some of the category breakdowns look a little weird also...

It's always disheartening when you find objective evidence proving you're right about how stupid the average person is.

Key word is Perception.

And according to this article, *I* percieve that most people are dumb. :p It's the same company, you can't rate one at the top and the other at the bottom. It's like saying "GMC trucks are SOOO much better than Chevy trucks!" Or "Buicks are such better cars than Caddys!"

And according to this article, *I* percieve that most people are dumb. :p It's the same company, you can't rate one at the top and the other at the bottom. It's like saying "GMC trucks are SOOO much better than Chevy trucks!" Or "Buicks are such better cars than Caddys!"

Hit the nail on the head.

Mercury's an upscale Ford, Acura's an upscale Honda, while they're on total opposite ends. :confused:

A lot of it also has to do with how the surveys are worded and given. What the article is unclear about is that for this particular survey, people were asked to rank their top (3 maybe?) brands in different categories, like safety (Volvo and Honda did well), fuel economy (Toyota and Honda), etc... If a particular company (say, Acura or Audi) is not the top choice in a given category, it won't be rated very high. Does that mean Acuras or Audis are bad cars? Not necessarily, it just means people don't think of them as being leaders.

You can believe me when I say that a lot of people are paid a lot of money to create these surveys, and even more people sit around trying to decode the results.

It's like saying "GMC trucks are SOOO much better than Chevy trucks!" Or "Buicks are such better cars than Caddys!"

And what drives perception? Advertising, not actuality. So people perceive Chevy trucks to be durable ("The longest lasting, something, something, trucks on the road" cue Bob Seger...), but GMC really lacks a brand identity.

Professional Grade?

Sorry should have clarified: GMC lacks a brand identity that correlates well with the categories specified in this survey:safety, quality, value, performance, environmental friendliness, design, and technological innovation. Chevy's trucks can easily be ranked high in value and quality because of their slogan, but not because the trucks are any better or worse than GMC. My point is: you have to take all of these things with a grain of salt because you probably don't know all the details.

To defend the stupid people, maybe Acura cars have simple shit break since they come packed with more gadgets and gizmos than the Honda cars. That is what it is about with BMW, they get poor marks because all the extra gadget stuff breaks and that is mostly why those cars are in for repair. Not for major drive train malfunctions.

Guest 78novaman

Buick has had one of the top spots in the JD Power survey for years. I'm also a surprised by Ford #3 after all the fire/cruise control recalls in the last few years.

Consumers consider friendliness to the environment (35 percent) to be more significant than styling (23 percent).

People are falling way too hard for this enviro-crap :(