Should I get an SS Cobalt??

Putty

http://www.chevrolet.com/cobalt/

SS TurbochargedCobalt2008 coupe_ss: Starts at $22,995*

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Build and Price

Request a Quote

Find a Vehicle

Highlights:

260-hp 2.0L I-4 engine with Variable Valve Timing (VVT) has an estimated MPG 22 city and 30 hwy.(1)

Five-speed manual transmission

Performance Handling suspension

Four-wheel antilock disc brakes

StabiliTrak Electronic Stability Control System

SS-specific interior

SS-specific instrumentation

18-inch forged aluminum wheels

Rear decklid spoiler

Bright chrome exhaust tip

Head-curtain side-impact air bags(2)

Auxiliary audio input jack

XM Radio(3) with three trial months

OnStar(4) with one-year Safe & Sound Plan

CD/MP3 player

Seven-speaker Pioneer premium sound system

Remote Keyless Entry

Power windows and door locks

Complete list of standard & optional features

View 360s

Yes, supercharged....I believe 171hp 163 lb ft. The new ones have turbo???

Yes, the 2008 SS's have the 260 HP turbo, Brembo 4 piston front brakes, nicer seats, and some other revisions (suspension, TCS/ESC system, shift without lift, launch control, etc.)

The power numbers you just quoted for the 2006 SS are for the N/A 2.4L SS models. The S/C 2.0L were rated at 205 hp (I think), but they dyno that at the wheels so it's probably more like 230HP. The stage kits increase the power nicely.

Yes, the 2008 SS's have the 260 HP turbo, Brembo 4 piston front brakes, nicer seats, and some other revisions (suspension, TCS/ESC system, shift without lift, launch control, etc.)

The power numbers you just quoted for the 2006 SS are for the N/A 2.4L SS models. The S/C 2.0L were rated at 205 hp (I think), but they dyno that at the wheels so it's probably more like 230HP. The stage kits increase the power nicely.

Thanks for that info...

I really like the cobalt SS's But don't get a NA one you will hate yourself.

Yeah, I know...I have been looking at 06/07 SS models with the gunmetal 18s. They are pretty nice.

I'm sure it's a good car...If I can get for <$14K, I think i'll get it.

Although the supercharged cars are decently reliable, and pretty quick, the new turbo model is miles ahead. The new motor has more power, and had more development put into it, so it would likely be more reliable. The turbo motor is used in 3 other gm cars now too, so there would be a larger aftermarket.

Probably can't find a turbo for <14k though.

Although the supercharged cars are decently reliable, and pretty quick, the new turbo model is miles ahead. The new motor has more power, and had more development put into it, so it would likely be more reliable. The turbo motor is used in 3 other gm cars now too, so there would be a larger aftermarket.

Very good points. I'd be in the 20s for a turbo version for sure. Dealer called and told me I could drive it for a few days...i'll try that and see how I like it. A 4 cylinder 5 speed means a lot of shifting.

The aftermarket for the S/C SS is very heavy. It will be a while until the 2.0L SIDI turbo gets a lot of love from the aftermarket. Direct injection is the wave of the future, but anyone with a little knowledge can tune a port injection engine. You may also be waiting a while for the turbo's to have their fully ECU's cracked.

I'll also add that I would say each motor has just as much development into it. Consider that they share the same block, crank, rods, and the head castings are likely the same.

See no purpose in that....

To be truthful 6th is not needed untill you are well north of the speed limit. You don't shift that much. I don't understand why you point out a 4 cyl with a five speed, isn't your bike a 4 cyl with a five Speed? :confused:

To be truthful 6th is not needed untill you are well north of the speed limit. You don't shift that much. I don't understand why you point out a 4 cyl with a five speed, isn't your bike a 4 cyl with a five Speed? :confused:

I see where you are going, but on bikes...a 600 you shift every second it seems....On a 1000, I can ride 1st gear all around town...2nd, if it's too loud, so very little shifting.