400EX top end rebuild

12oclocker

it's my dog's halloween costume :) it's a pterodactyl...

I dig bulldugs, the noises they make crack me up. That was my second choice of puppy if I couldn't find a good Rottweiler. Maybe should have been my first since this dog farts more than a bar full of Irishmen.:puke:

...Hey 12, I was in at Honda Powersports of Troy Yesterday and saw a for sale pic for your 400ex. Why rebuild it if you are selling?...
I want the new fuel injected Suzuki 09 Z400 quad!! fuel injection! lol

I wasn't expecting to spend $500 on the rebuild, my first intentions was to only replace the gaskets and rings, since the gasket on their was not the high compression one, and was seeping a bit, but once I got in there, I just did everything that needed done. resleeving the cylinder is what screwed me, there was a hairline crack starting at the bottom of the sleeve, you couldn't even see it, but the guy at the machine shop caught it, called me up, and I checked it out, and sure enough, the sleeve needed replaced.

I figured since the valves were coming out for new valve guide seals, might as well re do the valve seats too.

how much did the parts cost for this?
Yeah it cost me about 500 with the machining, thats recutting the valve seats, resleeving the cylinder, new wiseco 440 sleeve, new wiseco 440 piston (11:1 compression ratio) new rings, new wiseco gaskets (the metal highcompression ones), and the bolts and other little things. Edited by 12oclocker