Opinions/Comments on 04+Mazda Rx8 6sp

Rustlestiltskin

I hate having to bother you guys about cars but I know you guys have a good bit of knowledge on a variety of cars so I wanted to know what you guys thought of the 04+ Mazda Rx8 6sp. Hopefully you guys can give me the pros/cons of this car b/c I'm seriously looking into purchasing one since I've found some great deals on these cars and I'm digging the look and design. I also know at least 1 person on this board owns one "minty fresh?" so hopefully he'll chime in.

Thanks guys, I really do appreciate it when you help me out

-Paul :cool:

From what I understand:

Low torque, so you have to keep it spinning if you want performance.

Low mileage; lots of bangs per rev = more fuel. Really, multiply the displacement by 3 and that's the kind of engine you'll be feeding.

They are VERY picky about the oil you give them. It must be good, and it must be clean. If you're the type to go over 3K between oil changes, you may want to look into another car.

However, they have a 50/50 weight distribution and they handle very well. The secondary suicide doors are really handy. And they sound like nothing else.

ok i use to own the one denny dotson had for a while and to tell you the truth the car is great if you just want to put an exhaust and intake on it but if you want to go any further with the car its a pos i put a turbo on mine and went through 2 engines and then denny dotson went through 2 also the are fun cars. they did fix all of the problems with the 13b for the 8s so it is a very reliable car stock. if you are looking for a car that takes corners and has great throttle response then that is a great choice but if you want a car to keep up with people on the highway then look else where

Cool if you find one with a blown motor (it's a Rotary, so it's not like that is an uncommon occurance). Do an LSx swap, and it would be a pretty cool car.

Though not as cool as an FD, it's still another pretty decent Mazada car plagued by that POS engine.

LOL@ all the responses i'm getting esp. the negative ones. keepem commin. I looked up they're stats. its supposively got around 232hp w/ like 159 tq for a 1.3l rotary. weighs something like 3000lbs. redlines at a rediculous 9k. fuel economy is 13/22 LOL. thats about all I know about them. I think somewhere they said 0-60 in 6 seconds. I'm not too worried about making it a contender in cbus, I just want a fun/reliable car that I can put an exhaust/intake on and be done w/ it. Hopefully an rx8 can give me that. The one i'm looking at only has 32k miles on it and it's an 6speed 04 w/ only 1 owner and w/ all the reciepts and what not with the car so that makes me happy :)

what are you planning on using it for? I think it'd be a great candidate for a street/autox/track car. While it's surely not fast, it'd be fun and likely keep you from getting into too much trouble as you can wind it up a bit without immediately breaking every law known to the road.

For the track they're well balanced and predictable which makes for a great car to learn in.

Downsides have already been mentioned: no torque and bad gas mileage.

I still think they can be a very good looking car as well.

you came to the wrong place to ask about an RX-8. it's literally the opposite of what everyone here likes. It handles well, it's 'slow' in a straight line, and 'it dont make no TORK!'.

But with a 9k RPM redline, it does make plenty of power which is what actually matters, enough to run in the 14's which is pretty respectable in my opinion. It got a nice practical interior loaded with features, it will haul of four of your friends, and it will outhandle literally anything else for the price. It's a great daily driver for someone who wants something a litte bit fun, especially on exit ramps. Think more along the line of Four seater S2000 hardtop, not corvette freeway killer. (you can see why no one here appreciates it).

The reliability is a myth, and they run fine as long as you maintain them as you would any other car. 3-5k mile oil changes will be fine, and every now and then when you're pumping gas, check the oil level because they inject oil as part of their lubrication design. (I HEARD DEM CARS BURN EARL FROM THE FACTORY!). As far as quality goes, the RX-8's have actually had less engine replacements than the 350z, but is that considered an unreliable car?

The biggest downside is the gas mileage. They seem to get right around 19mpg pretty much regardless of how you drive them. It's really only marginally worse than other cars you would compare it to, and dont let the LSx boys fool you, most of them get right around there on an average tank too (with city driving). They simply have the benefit of idling along in 6th at 70mph and 1500rpm's.

I've blabbered enough, but the moral of the story is: its a good car, if you like it, you buy it. as long as its a manual.

My brother's girlfriend bought one and let me drive it. It literally has the torque of a base model Civic, but damn taking turns was fun. You don't have a snowball's chance in hell to kick the rear out though, unbelievable how little torque there is.

was it an auto? because they have no problem busting their ass sideways...

like i said earlier the one i had was very reliable when i only had an intake and exhaust on it and the gas mileage wasnt that bad the car will kick its ass out very easy and is a very fun car for the money i dont think you will find a car that is more fun and as long as you maintain the car it will be good to you so if your only looking for a car to put an intake and exhaust on then i would say an rx-8 is the way to go i mean the sound system in it is probably one of the best factory systems out there the car looks good with some mods and will out handle just about anything for the price. just dont go putting a turbo on it cause then you will need a new engine.