fox nitrous questions

Ramsey

I am installing a wet kit on my 93 gt 5 speed, with 58k on the clock. I have pulleys, bbk fender mount,walboro 255, shorties, catless h, flowmasters, 3.73, centerforce dual friction. stock cam, heads, and intake, maf, tb. This car is a daily for now.

I have a used wet kit that includes, 10lb bottle w/ safety blowdown tube, all lines, cold fusion solinoids, single fogger, msd dig window switch,

1. Is a 100 hit too much? what are the jet size for a 100 shot?

2. do i need a tune?

3. what plugs?

4. what window should i hit?

5. where to mount the bottle?

6. can i run the nitrous line inside the car?

Kinda wondering the same thing as I am going to be adding a kit soon as well, my car has a slight bit more mods, but I know for a fact up till late 92 these cars of ours had stock forged pistons and could handle a 150 on a stock block, your car being a 93 missed out and got the cast pistons don't know much about then, I could be wrong but I"m pretty sure I'm not.

Also ask Hoblick (88lx50) he had a sweet vid on here and said he had a 175 shot on his stock block 5.0

Guest GMoney

1. How long would you like the car to last? 100 on 5.0 is a decent amount.

2. You do not need a tune. Just do not run a ton of timing, also make sure you have proper fuel jet and NO jet.

3. I would run the factory motorsport plugs but one heat ranger cooler.

4. The lowest RPM i would ever hit the NO is 2.5K rpms, 3K would be better, people will have different opinions here.

5. The rear of the car, I would remove the spare. Make sure you follow the directions about the bottle angle so that the pick up in the bottle is always in the correct location, I ran my bottle sideways in the car and rotated the bottle 45 degrees from vertical so that the g forces from acceleration would hold the NO in the proper spot.

6. I would not run the NO line inside the car i have seen the lines fail and would not want that in the car with me.

be careful with using the nitrous i was reading up on putting nitrous on my 95 but found out that the more you use it to twist your block and will eventually make it snap...i wouldnt go more than a 75 in my opinion

:confused:

i wouldnt be afraid to put a 100 shot on your car.

but over that im not sure.. with the cast pistons and all

you do not need a tune, but if it were me i would want a dyno pull or two to make sure my a/f is on par when im in the juice.

you shouldnt need to change the plugsout, but you can go one step colder

and timing as well... stock timing should be fine, but i you want to take precautions you can bump the timing down a few degree.

id say get on the button affter 3k rpm.

thats when i usually hit mine, but we did hit it at 2300 on the dyno to gt big tq numbers.

and yes you want your nitrous line outside of the car.

have someone who knows what they are doing install it and make sure you have the right jets in.. every manufacturer is diferent or the jet sizing to do what hp rating.

• Upvote 1

go to the manufactureres website it should give you a list of what jet sizes do what..

start out with a 75shot and go from there.

True Story. Some kits are jetted a good bit differently for the same power levels. It's good to be sure.

The 93 stock motor has hyperutectic pistons, so they don't always tend to hold up to as much heat without separating the top ring lands (destroying the piston).

I would agree that 75 and work up is always a good idea for these engines and run exactly the fuel/plug gap/ heat range as called for in your kit. You always hear about people running way more, so it's tempting to jump right into 125-150+, but a 75 horsepower (and likely 100 or so foot pounds of torque) increase will be significant. Just like Jetting, different brand kits call for different stuff for each power level, so just make sure you are equipped accordingly for the shot size.

10Sec93 made some ungodly amount of runs on a stock 93 bottom end with anywhere from 100 to 200hp (maybe it was a 225)... It lasted alot longer than I thought it would... but it didn't last forever. Eventually he toasted some pistons, but that's proof that as long as you stick to the kit's guidelines and check your plugs often to keep an eye on things you'll be safe (safe-er).

• Upvote 1

i was more confused because all of the weird shit i have heard about nitrous, and i have never heard that.

yea the biggest thing to be concerned about is fuel puddling in the intake manifold. With a wet kit this is possible and can usually be avoided by spraying at nothing less than 3k RPM's (on the safe side) The 5 litre motors are fairly stout for stock and I dont see any problem with a 100 shot. Good plugs 1 or 2 hear ranges colder, good gas, and maybe back the timing off a little bit. The t5 transmission on the other hand :D

I actually never toasted the hyper pistons, i sprayed up to 150 all day on a 80000 mile stock short block with performer heads and intake efi. The shortblock was fine when i pulled it. Never had it tuned, did have a anderson PMS for a while but that was just to pull timing and eliminate rev limiter it actually slowed the car down, I just ran ngk 7's in it and checked em each pass. It ran as good as 11.35. I still have the stock pistons and rods with new rings sitting in a drawer in my garage. Just no stock bore blocks to put them in. I put a 306 in then with a 225 shot carb'd. It lasted a season till i pulled the top off of two pistons.