Rate this pic (no 56k)

MrMeanGreen

I agree, tighter crop and I'd stop down a notch or two to get the leaves much darker. Also if you stick that camera all up in there you could probably get an angle so that you get the flowers and not the house in the BG.

As far as encouraging her new found interest, it wouldn't hurt to buy an old used SLR for her to start playing around. That way if she doesn't pursue it, you don't loose so much money on the investment.

I say if you wantto get he a camera get her a nice 35 mm that way she can learn to use the f stop scale and what different Apertures will do to the photo. You should be able to pick up a nice Pentex for cheap cheap.

I'm wondering if getting her a camera would be a sound investment?

Not really be much of investment, but giving kids a hobby keeps them away from other things. If she shows interest I'd get her a cheap camera of her own then if she stays with it, get her a nice camera for her birthday or Christmas. IMO

I say if you wantto get he a camera get her a nice 35 mm that way she can learn to use the f stop scale and what different Apertures will do to the photo. You should be able to pick up a nice Pentex for cheap cheap.

Yea a 35mm would be a lower initial cost, but add in the film, developing, etc and it adds up quickly. Digital is the way to go in that respect. It is also better for learning, with digital she can shoot and then look at her picture, and if she changes a setting she will immediately be able to see the effects of that change instead of waiting for the roll to get used up and then developed.

Oh Jordan took it. That changes my perspective. Get her into it. Dont put her on an SLR yet. Do and point and shoot like youve got. Let her work with that. If you notice an incline in interest then step up from there. For an 8 year old it perfect.

Theres no reason to stop it down. One its hard to do with a point and shoot. The colors are right where they need to be. Anthony if you have 2 cameras take her out and shoot with her, then view your pics and hers. It gives you a view of her world. Its pretty neat.

I gotta agree, the pic needs work but for an 8 year old showing interest it's pretty good. I'd also start her on a cheap point and shoot and let her work on framing and picking backgrounds. If she gets good at that and is still interested, move up to an SLR or D-SLR and that's a few models old and then she can work on f-stops and shutter speed to get the picture looking great.

Get her a camera that does black and white too so she can explore that. It's actually easy and somewhat cheap to develop your own black and white film and pics and you can do a lot with a pic in the darkroom. Photochop existed way before Photoshop did.

Cool that she wants to get into it. My 5yr old has his own camera and loves it.

IMO, get her something small with stabilization and a decent zoom range. Don't worry about manual controls right now. Key is to get her used to visualizing and framing things first. Manual controls will come at a later point in time. Mainly with flash photography. Until then, she can play with perspective, focal length and framing while getting used to the gear.

Didn't know she was 8, must have overlooked that. Well then, all of my advice is pretty much useless now. I agree with the point and shoot approach, but I still maintain the digital perspective down the road, if cost is still a factor then.