Need suggestions for a Partition Recovery Program

DTM Brian

I got a little carried away with over clocking my PC and it caused both of my SATA hard drives to crash. I had to do use a recovery program one other time but I can not get to it because it is on of the hard drives that went down. Is there something out there I can use to look at a hard drive with to see if the contents is still there?

Please advise.

Knoppix Linux, it will auto mount all the drives and you will be able to atleast read NTFS partitions if they are still there, plug in a USB thumb drive or external and you will be able to transfer the files.

I also have the same question as gergwheel, that doesnt make since unless you were somehow overclocking the hard drive motor or something.

Knoppix Linux, it will auto mount all the drives and you will be able to atleast read NTFS partitions if they are still there, plug in a USB thumb drive or external and you will be able to transfer the files.

I also have the same question as gergwheel, that doesnt make since unless you were somehow overclocking the hard drive motor or something.

Thanks for your input. I would agree that it does not make sense that overclocking would cause a hard drive issue.

What I do know is that my IDE hard drives are not affected. When I started turning up the FSB is when I had issues with my SATA drives. Common sense would be not to overclock after having to repair the partition on one of the drives the first time. I am going to return to stock settings and hopefully I can recover both drives.

Overclocking the hard drive motor, eh? lolz? The likely reason for this is an OS crash during usage of said hard drive (no fault of the drive itself) which left some files in an 'unhappy' state and windows is hence refusing to boot. Depending on the extent of the problem, anything capable of mounting NTFS (like the linux boot disks suggested) will bring this back to life with no problem (or even a windows install disk, used in recovery mode to restore the necessary files but not delete anything.) Worst case is the entire directory table is garbage and you need a tool like OnTrack Easy Recovery to go through the disk line by line and get the (important) files off.

Search for " Hiren's boot CD " on usenet or torrent whatever. Has many disk tools. As long as you can boot a CD from startup it will work.

Everyone should have this CD because it is filled with useful programs.