can i swap this??

yellowsnake

i have a 2000 camaro z-28. its an a-4 with 163,xxx miles on it. has 273 gears. can i just swap the posi unit and the gears out of a stock 342 rear end? does it bein a 3 or 4 series change that? would i need to swap anything else b/c of the different gears?

I have just completed this same swap. Your 273 gears come in a 2-series carrier, going to a bigger ratio means that the pinion gets alot smaller so the ring gear has to get a lot "thicker" to mate with the pinion. If you get a 3-series carrier and 3-series gear it will go right in because the case is the same. Hopefully this makes sense, just remember that your gear set has to be designed for the carrier you are using.

reason i would rather change the gears is b/c i know there is a difference in the 3 and 4 series rear ends. one has trac one dont and mine does and im not thinking the rearend with the 342 does so i figure it safer to just swap gears/posi/axles if that makes since.

reason i would rather change the gears is b/c i know there is a difference in the 3 and 4 series rear ends. one has trac one dont and mine does and im not thinking the rearend with the 342 does so i figure it safer to just swap gears/posi/axles if that makes since.

You must be refering to 3 and 4 channel, this is how many ABS sensors you have. 3 channel is two on the front wheels and one on the top of the axel measuring a reluctor ring next to the ring gear. 4 channel is the two front wheels and then one on each rear wheel. 4 channel is when you have traction control.

If I understand your post you think that the rear end with the 342s you want doesn't have traction control. You will have to use your axels because they have the reluctor wheels pressed onto them for the ABS sensors to read. If this is correct the posi, and the ring and pinion will work, but the axels won't.

I hope this helps. I think I understand what you are wanting to do.

You must be refering to 3 and 4 channel, this is how many ABS sensors you have. 3 channel is two on the front wheels and one on the top of the axel measuring a reluctor ring next to the ring gear. 4 channel is the two front wheels and then one on each rear wheel. 4 channel is when you have traction control.

If I understand your post you think that the rear end with the 342s you want doesn't have traction control. You will have to use your axels because they have the reluctor wheels pressed onto them for the ABS sensors to read. If this is correct the posi, and the ring and pinion will work, but the axels won't.

I hope this helps. I think I understand what you are wanting to do.

Do you know if LT1's are the same? Say if my 96 Z28 has traction control & ABS, then it will have a 4 channel?

Do all these elements apply if your existing TC/ABS doesn't work, or if you have no need for it?

Do you know if LT1's are the same? Say if my 96 Z28 has traction control & ABS, then it will have a 4 channel?

Do all these elements apply if your existing TC/ABS doesn't work, or if you have no need for it?

I am pretty sure LT1 cars are the same. If you don't have any need for it then it will only make lights in your dash come on without it, and obviously ABS/traction control will not work. It's not that hard to keep the 4 channel working unless you just don't want it, 3 channel however has to be acounted for in the diff, and I am not sure how the reluctor wheel attaches.