Run Premium or Not?

Main3s

Guest tbutera2112
he said lowest possible without detonation, obviously diesel wouldnt burn right...but if you can run 87 without detonation, then it will burn better than 93 for that particular vehicle

word on the street is to expect 5% increase in HP so for me it should take it from 460 to the motor to 483 HP. but i'd rather find out for my self what i can get out of it.

The power increase comes from (re)centering the combustion event. Adding 4-5 degrees nets nearly the same peak pressure point.

Guest schnitzelwagen
huge huge debate between na rotary over octane. not exactly sure where i stand on the topic. im running nitrous so i'v been using 92 or better if i can find it

Guest tbutera2112
i dont know much about octane rating...i just know that theres no point running higher octane than your car needs...my car ran better on 87 than it did on 93, so i bumped my timing up 8 degrees and now it cant run on 87 lol

Correct me if I'm wrong, because I just know a little about E85. But when I was looking into that for my GTP it seemed like a wash. Because E85 isn't a efficent as regular or premium it takes more to burn to run, hence the bigger injectors. So while it's cheeper per gallon you use almost twice as much. No doubt that it helps in the power dept. but for $$$ savings, I'm not sure.

Correct me if I'm wrong, because I just know a little about E85. But when I was looking into that for my GTP it seemed like a wash. Because E85 isn't a efficent as regular or premium it takes more to burn to run, hence the bigger injectors. So while it's cheeper per gallon you use almost twice as much. No doubt that it helps in the power dept. but for $$$ savings, I'm not sure.

You're correct. For any alcohol based fuel to be econiomically feasible it will simply have to be cheap. The net gain in thermal & chemicle efficiency is offest by lower energy density.