Run Premium or Not?

Main3s

Ok, something primarily for forced induction cars...

People I keep talking to are whining about running premium, it's "too expensive" they cry. What? Since when?

I have an 18 gallon tank. On average I don't run it to the E line, so likely I'm putting in 15 gallons at a fillup.

Assuming you are paying $4.09 a gallon for regular that is $61.35

Assuming you are paying $4.29 a gallon for premium, that is $64.35

That is A total of $3. $3! How FAR can you go on $3? Lets say you get 25 mpg (I know, you all probably do much better unless you keep your foot in it), that is 0.73 gallons, a total of 18 miles you can go on that $3. IF you get better mpg with premium (most cars do now that have the high/low octane tables properly setup), it is EASY to get better mpg with premium than low octane.

The % difference is mimimal. The distance you can go can really end up being much improved.

So why NOT get a good tune if you don't already have one, and enjoy running premium?

Honestly I laugh anymore, and it's a game to me to see how high of a price I can pay. It's gong to be pretty hard for a while to beat my GT100 purchase of $7 a gallon, Look up VP fuel though some of it is $20-$50 a gal I think. :)

Honestly I laugh anymore, and it's a game to me to see how high of a price I can pay. It's gong to be pretty hard for a while to beat my GT100 purchase of $7 a gallon, Look up VP fuel though some of it is $20-$50 a gal I think. :)

when i get c16 its normally 11-13 dollars per gallon

e85 it's 105 octane and cheaper then 87. i would be running my GTP on e85 if EFILive could tune the GTP.

i am currently running the vette on e85 :) still working on it but so far it's got 30 deg of timing with no knock. and i'm getting 25 MPG (still a little rich) instead of 32 so i'm breaking even as far as mile per $ goes.

Guest EM1 2ENVY
e85 it's 105 octane and cheaper then 87. i would be running my GTP on e85 if EFILive could tune the GTP.

i am currently running the vette on e85 :) still working on it but so far it's got 30 deg of timing with no knock. and i'm getting 25 MPG (still a little rich) instead of 32 so i'm breaking even as far as mile per $ goes.

rob, any differences as far as power from E85 to premium?

rob, any differences as far as power from E85 to premium?

rather not say cuz only info i have is seat of the pants i'd like to get it on the dyno but i want to put in bigger injectors first because the stock ones are running at 120%. but i am running 4 more degrees of timing then what i was with 94 octane SO FAR i'm not even sure what the max is before it will start to knock.

if anyone has any injectors i can borrow that would be awesome :)

word on the street is to expect 5% increase in HP so for me it should take it from 460 to the motor to 483 HP. but i'd rather find out for my self what i can get out of it.

Guest EM1 2ENVY
rather not say cuz only info i have is seat of the pants i'd like to get it on the dyno but i want to put in bigger injectors first because the stock ones are running at 120%. but i am running 4 more degrees of timing then what i was with 94 octane SO FAR i'm not even sure what the max is before it will start to knock.

if anyone has any injectors i can borrow that would be awesome :)

word on the street is to expect 5% increase in HP so for me it should take it from 460 to the motor to 483 HP. but i'd rather find out for my self what i can get out of it.

nice did you base line before the E85? an your running 120% duty cycle? swap some big boys in there asap. lol, do you know what the stock injectors are good to?