How long after you spray Duplicolor can you use the part?

LPFSTheFett

The paint on the passenger side of the Viper where the exhaust comes out has been flaking off since I've owned the car. The dealership has tried 3 times to fix it and no luck. Always starts to flake back off within 40-50 miles.

About 2 months ago I sanded the area down and applied 3 coats Duplicolor 1200 flat black to the area. Let it sit over night. It was a pretty cold night overall, probably got down to 40-50 degrees outside, not sure how cold it got in the garage though. It was on the borderline of not doing it at all when I sprayed it because it was only high 50's and it says needs to be 60-90. Anyway, it showed signs of issues just about as quickly as the dealerships paint, but didn't flake off for about 400 miles, and not nearly as bad as the dealerships.

So today I sanded the area down again and applied 3 coats of Duplicolor 500 degree primer and am going to apply three coats of the 1200 on after that.

The directions say to apply more then 3 coats of the paint to wait 7 days to let it cure. Does this mean you can't use the item for 7 days, or just it wants 7 days before you should apply more paint?

Obviously it is retarded hot today. So I'm wondering If I could drive the car tonight. I'm guessing the paint will do much better with 7 hours of 90 degree weather then 10 hours of the weather it was in the first time I did it. Plus I have the primer on there.

Thanks!

Jason

I would say the dealer is not prepping the part right. Though I have seen very commonly that that area of paint gets so hot that it does that. I have a mustang in my shop right now, that is doing exactly that. Its gotta be from the heat.

As for your spray paint question, it means allow 7 days to cure before adding a top coat. Once its dried its okay to use it. I would have to say it will cure in these tempuratures at a faster rate then 7 days.

I have some viper blue I believe in the shop right now if its painted to match. I would be willing to give it a shot for you.

I would say the dealer is not prepping the part right. Though I have seen very commonly that that area of paint gets so hot that it does that. I have a mustang in my shop right now, that is doing exactly that. Its gotta be from the heat.

As for your spray paint question, it means allow 7 days to cure before adding a top coat. Once its dried its okay to use it. I would have to say it will cure in these tempuratures at a faster rate then 7 days.

I have some viper blue I believe in the shop right now if its painted to match. I would be willing to give it a shot for you.

Thanks for the offer on the Viper Blue, but it's the black part that I'm having the problem with.

Though maybe I'll have take you up on that blue paint. Someone kicked the drivers side of the rocker pannel last year when it was at a friends house. :mad: It's not 'that' bad or I would have had it fixed already.

Brandon at IPS had a great idea about putting a heat lamp on the area to help cure it. The directions say to bake it in the oven, but I can't exaclty take the part off, so the light will probably do the trick!

have you tried to put any kind of heat tape on the back side of the part yet?

That's a great idea. I don't know if I can get my hand back there though. Of course, it's only an area 3" by 3"

I'll have to hit up Jegs on Main st.

Thanks!

That's a great idea. I don't know if I can get my hand back there though. Of course, it's only an area 3" by 3"

I'll have to hit up Jegs on Main st.

Thanks!

get the roll of Cool it thermo-shield 893-14002, i really liked this stuff when i put it on the camaro.

barbeque spray paint no joke it will work great :] and it sticks to everything and does not flake

This will make it look new

Jaron

i used it on the exhaust on the camaro, it did indeed not flake and held up great.

see Jason :} you are set

Yes seems that way! Thanks for the tip. I went ahead and let the paint sit over night and wont be driving the car until later today so it will have had 24 hours to dry.

If that doesn't do the trick, then I'll use the barbeque paint!

Next thing I'm going to have to do is get some new tires. Since IPS fixed my belt slip issue, I get zero traction on the street in 1st and limited traction in 2nd. Damn you IPS for making my car faster! :cool:

Yes seems that way! Thanks for the tip. I went ahead and let the paint sit over night and wont be driving the car until later today so it will have had 24 hours to dry.

If that doesn't do the trick, then I'll use the barbeque paint!

Next thing I'm going to have to do is get some new tires. Since IPS fixed my belt slip issue, I get zero traction on the street in 1st and limited traction in 2nd. Damn you IPS for making my car faster! :cool:

IPS does a great job at that huh! :D I too need new tires, 2nd thanks to IPS! :asshole: 's