Internet Security software

HotCarl

So Im slightly e-dumb and was wondering if the more computer literate members of CR could recommend a good security software for my comp. I use to have Norton Internet Security bundle it was easy to use and straight forward but I have heard that it doesnt provide all that much security. So can anyone recommend anything?

^ +2, AVG is free and easy, windows firewall is near dummy proof (no offense), firefox is great if you stay away from extensions (memory leaks beware). Adding a free spyware scanner can't hurt either, such as spybot, or ad-aware.

Guest mrhobbz
^ +2, AVG is free and easy, windows firewall is near dummy proof (no offense), firefox is great if you stay away from extensions (memory leaks beware). Adding a free spyware scanner can't hurt either, such as spybot, or ad-aware.

I knew i forgot something, spybot and ad-aware are pretty good stuff.

lol I've been running windows firewall and AVG Free for I don't even know how many years, now. I don't remember the last time I had anything on my comp that needs to be worried about. I am super anal retentive about my comp and would know. Of course, this goes with saying that I know where to go and where not to go when it comes to websites and links. It doesn't matter if you wear a bullet proof vest, if you walk in front of a train.

I also use a combination of Ad-Aware, and HijackThis (more for advanced users though there is a huge help support and this website, http://www.hijackthis.de/ which will help you, though I still suggest getting real help in your case.)

That in combination with your normal cleanmgr.exe, defrags, registry optimization is how my computer stays top notch. I believe I'm actually forgetting some things. :D

That in combination with your normal cleanmgr.exe, defrags, registry optimization is how my computer stays top notch. I believe I'm actually forgetting some things. :D

+1

Reinstalling your OS periodically is the best thing you can do though. Install OS to its own partition, or better yet a second HD.

Or just use linux.

Guest mrhobbz
why not just get a linux box and use the windows box for gaming...

I already have too many machines :) My main workstation boots vista and ubuntu. My router/firewall is a dual p3 1.2ghz/2gb ram 1u rackmount running gentoo, dell latitude c810 running ubuntu w/ fluxbox. Along with an athlon 3000+ that runs ubuntu and nothing else that I use strictly for web development.