condition of damper in question, pic(s) inside

natedogg624

looking at a scotts damper, working with a well repped guy off the wera board so im not worried about getting screwed in this deal, just curious of the condition of the damper.

IMG00005.jpg

its around 200 including the correct mount. Does that just look like surface damage or something that could lead to more problems? If i do get this i would send it to get serviced by scotts. he says that the scratches do not affect the performance of the damper and that it works perfectly

more pics coming tonight.

Edited by natedogg624

There's nothing wrong with the damper. There shouldn't be any leaking around that area as the seal is internal and between the halves. I've seen a LOT worse and working fine...

You can also send it off to Scotts/Ohlins and have them freshen it up (suggested). But, for $200, I think you should look around a bit more. That seems a little high in that condition. I see $250 for pretty damn good looking units. Of course, w/o mounts, but the unit is pretty much universal and the mount makes it dedicated to whatever bike...

I have a Scotts in excellent shape and all you'd need is a mount bracket. But, I am not willing to sell it, but you'd be looking at $250 or $300 for one in my condition...

If you offer the guy $175 shipped, I'd jump on it if he agrees. You need the plastic cap and that's really it...

This is your safety and very could be a life & death decision you're making here. What would the cost be for Scotts to service? You're saving about $160 by buying used, but if it's gonna cost you close to that to have it serviced you're better off buying new.

This is your safety and very could be a life & death decision you're making here. What would the cost be for Scotts to service? You're saving about $160 by buying used, but if it's gonna cost you close to that to have it serviced you're better off buying new.

You cannot touch a Scotts damper with mount kit for $360 or less new... They are well over that in total...

It's filled with fluid, my only concern would be if that damage at the edge would lead to a leak...

I have allways used Ohlins, so other than that it does look pretty knarled.... How exactly did he damage that?

i wanted an ohlins orginally but was talked out of it due to the fact that they have the opportunity to get damaged easier because they stick out more.

damaged by a lowside, bike ended up on its top side. he's still trying to figure out how in the heck the damper got damaged...

There's nothing wrong with the damper. There shouldn't be any leaking around that area as the seal is internal and between the halves. I've seen a LOT worse and working fine...

You can also send it off to Scotts/Ohlins and have them freshen it up (suggested). But, for $200, I think you should look around a bit more. That seems a little high in that condition. I see $250 for pretty damn good looking units. Of course, w/o mounts, but the unit is pretty much universal and the mount makes it dedicated to whatever bike...

I have a Scotts in excellent shape and all you'd need is a mount bracket. But, I am not willing to sell it, but you'd be looking at $250 or $300 for one in my condition...

If you offer the guy $175 shipped, I'd jump on it if he agrees. You need the plastic cap and that's really it...

he says its working perfectly. 25 race weekends over 3 years. bought new. no damage around the mating surfaces.

i was going to send it off as soon as i got it. calling Scotts today to get some more information about what to look/ask for.

ah shucks brian your not selling?! haha but i understand your point.

ill shoot him that offer and see what he says.

yes i understand my safety which is the reason i asked the question as to whether or not this looks to be in good working order. obviously if it wasn't or had the possibility of leaks then i would pass.

also i heard servicing was around 50 dollars. again i have to double check with Scotts today though

Scotts dampers are made by Ohlins. They all say Ohlins on the front face... So, buying a Scotts? You're buying an Ohlins...

Oh, and top mount dampers are MUCH safer than traditional side or front mounted dampers. Top mount requires a bike to be flipped upside down and impacted SEVERLY to get destroyed. They get scrapped like seen in the pics, but not damaged beyond use. Hence, the reason why a lot of racers run them...

Typical dampers get their rods bent usually...

Scotts dampers are made by Ohlins. They all say Ohlins on the front face... So, buying a Scotts? You're buying an Ohlins...

Oh, and top mount dampers are MUCH safer than traditional side or front mounted dampers. Top mount requires a bike to be flipped upside down and impacted SEVERLY to get destroyed. They get scrapped like seen in the pics, but not damaged beyond use. Hence, the reason why a lot of racers run them...

i know they are made by ohlins, i meant the piston style damper when i said that.

good info on the top mount, thanks.

never looked at it like that............. hmmmm i might be changing my mind now on the damper i want

never looked at it like that............. hmmmm i might be changing my mind now on the damper i want

Yeah. It's why we choose top mounts. I can tell you that if a top mount damper gets destroyed, you have MUCH bigger concerns as the bike is going to be basically a pop can.

Nate- There's not a damn thing wrong with that damper. The right (as you are looking at it from the seated position) knob usually has a plastic cap on it for protection. You can get that from Ohlins or Scotts, I am sure. You'll want that as I think it is sensitive to dirt and such...

Overall, it is scuffed and looks a little worn, but it works and is the best choice for top mounts in my opinion. I have a GP V4 on my new bike, but have my Scotts in reserve...

Yeah. It's why we choose top mounts. I can tell you that if a top mount damper gets destroyed, you have MUCH bigger concerns as the bike is going to be basically a pop can.

gotcha............ i think i have changed my mind on the type now