Trying to make an informed decision...

mrblunt

My part time job involves driving to multiple locations so driving a car is beating my profits to death. I'm thinking by taking the money I'd save on fuel and putting it into an asset instead of record profits for Exxon. Additionally my accountant tells me that its tax deductible b/c I'm using it 'mostly' for my job. I figure I'll use 70% of the mileage each year for delivering so I'll write 70% of it off, plus I can write off the expense of the insurance. Not to mention while i'm on the bike my wife can drive my max instead of our insanely fuel efficient SUV. It has a lot of monetary benefits which are helping me write off the dangers.

I'm not going to be street racing this or dragging knees around a track so I don't 'need' a Busa or a liter bike. I'd like something 600 to 750cc in size that hopefully doesn't break down often and gets great gas mileage. I'm 6'3" 190lbs for reference sake. Of the major manufacturers, is it 'understood' that 'x' bike is very reliable or 'x' bike is really fuel efficient?? I can look at projected mpg's online but I wanted to get real world opinions. I really like the all black zx-10r's and that plasma blue zx-6 that was for sale on here recently. I'd like to stay at or below 6k. Storage isn't a factor b/c I'm delivering paperwork that would fit into a back pack. A wise friend told me that most people who get a 600 upgrade to a liter bike eventually but I know how dangerous they are and would be using it more for utility and cruising around. What do you experienced riders think would be a good bike to consider given what I'd be using it for?

for 1 next time i ride by u and pipe u u better at least give me the bird or something...... :p but as tall as u are the smaller bikes like the 600s really would fit u all that well.. im only 5,9 and niles 06 r6 just doesnt fill right. u would really have to lean over to right it. i would get a mid size cruizer for what ur going to be useing it for and cumf..

If you do a cost analysis, you probably won't save any money by the time you insure and plate another vehicle and buy gear. Most of the gas savings will be offset by the fact that bikes (especially sportbikes) eat tires. Even a 600 will likely only get 6000 miles max on a set of $300 tires.

for 1 next time i ride by u and pipe u u better at least give me the bird or something...... :p but as tall as u are the smaller bikes like the 600s really would fit u all that well.. im only 5,9 and niles 06 r6 just doesnt fill right. u would really have to lean over to right it. i would get a mid size cruizer for what ur going to be useing it for and cumf..

LOLz sorry man, I must have not been paying attention.

I was considering a cruizer really. Something along the lines of an FZ1 so that I dont have to sacrifice too much in the looks department and my back will likely thank me after hours of riding.

Kaw alot of the incentive I see here comes from the tax break i'm getting. It will really help offset the extra income I'm making that is all untaxed at this point. My employer will 1099 us at the end of the year so I have to be responsible enough to put back my taxes. I was going to claim milage to help offset things but doing actual cost may work out well for me and I have a bike to show from it. I will do a more detailed cost eval to see if this is really worth it but I have always wanted a bike and this gets my foot in the door :)

SV650 would be a good bike for what you're wanting. The naked one has more comfortable ergonomics than the S one which is especially useful on longer rides.

2nd! I bought a 2001 SV650 about a month ago, and I love it! I've been riding mostly surface streets, and opening it up on the back roads, and I've been getting 49.5 mpg's. I think it'll get better once I get my full endorsement and can start riding on the highway. I've ridden my SV650 to work everyday for the last 2 and a half weeks, and have found it to be just about perfect for a commuter, as well as an entertaining ride when there isn't anything better to do.

2nd! I bought a 2001 SV650 about a month ago, and I love it! I've been riding mostly surface streets, and opening it up on the back roads, and I've been getting 49.5 mpg's. I think it'll get better once I get my full endorsement and can start riding on the highway. I've ridden my SV650 to work everyday for the last 2 and a half weeks, and have found it to be just about perfect for a commuter, as well as an entertaining ride when there isn't anything better to do.

I always find it amusing how much so many people will knock the SV without ever trying it. I mean if 2 different magazines give it the title "best bang for your buck" multiple years in a row something must be right about it.

A sport bike isn't really a good choice for a daily commuter... keep in mine you'll be buying tires at 320+ mounting quite often.

That said - my R6 has 20k miles on it now. I bought it with 3k.

Pilot Roads FTW. The new ones are made really well and most of the commuter SVriders swear by them.

Pilot Roads FTW. The new ones are made really well and most of the commuter SVriders swear by them.

Good to know, I'll keep that in mind for when I need tires. Fortunately for me, the previous owner put new tires on mine at the end of last season. :thumbup:

Good to know, I'll keep that in mind for when I need tires. Fortunately for me, the previous owner put new tires on mine at the end of last season. :thumbup:

On my third season with my stock tires of D220s. They're coming near to their end. One can get between 8-12k miles on them depending on riding style. THey're crappy tires though so I wouldn't suggest buying them. I've just heard of people getting 16k+ miles on pilot roads and the new ones are dual compound tires.

go buy a cheap standard bike, i bought a yamaha 400 for 100 bucks and all I had to do was but a battery in it and it has ran like a top since. Forget something new if you are commuting on it and just get something affordable that is dependable. My old 400 gets 45mpg, doesn't look good, but I bought it to learn on and now I just keep it cause it is cheap reliable transportation, and it is fun to ride since I don't have to worry about anything