engine swap

Guest tbutera2112

Guest tbutera2112

i want to swap an older motor into my stang, i want a 351....what would it take to drop one of these in? i dont care if it carbed or not, and what kind of block should i look for? would any 351 work?....also, if i find one, would the internals be good in it or would i need to upgrade them? whats a good site for performance parts (rods/pistons/heads/cams etc) for a 351?

would something like this be a good platform to start working off of?

http://columbus.craigslist.org/pts/725892512.html

or this

http://columbus.craigslist.org/pts/705415405.html

looking to make atleast 400rwhp n/a....not with a stock engine obviously, it would be a long term build, just lookin for a platform at the moment

also, would i need to run a T5 tranny with this or could it bolt up to my t45

i'd go with some of the basics, probably a new k-member, most likely a custom one, diff suspension to handle the engine change. i have no idea what all you would have to put into it, but it seems like a big job. any big reasons why you want a 351?

Guest tbutera2112
an easier and more direct swap for you would be a 2v 5.4 from a truck

for the cost of that swap i could do a 4v swap from a n/a cobra...i wanna go with a 351 for cost/cubes...tired of my puney engine

Guest tbutera2112
i'd go with some of the basics, probably a new k-member, most likely a custom one, diff suspension to handle the engine change. i have no idea what all you would have to put into it, but it seems like a big job. any big reasons why you want a 351?

i know i would need a k member, i think a 94-95 gt k member will work, custome headers, i think a fox ecu will work...a 302 is an easy swap into my car...94-95 k member and a fox ecu...so i figure a 351 shouldnt be much more difficult...im not sure....mainly looking for a project to start that i can incorporate into my car...wanna build an engine but i dont want to spend 6grand to build a forged 2v engine that only makes 350hp at the wheels

Guest tbutera2112

1. i want to do the work myself and learn something while doing it

2. it wouldnt be cheaper for me since my car is already visually set on how i want it to look

3. if i wanted a pre-done 351 it would be in a fox body...yea i like foxes, but not more than my car..

i would be building the engine and swapping it in myself...i could get the whole build done on a 3-4k budget

if i could get out from under my car, ide get an LS1 in a hearbeat...but i owe too much to sell it, and i refuse to drop an LS1 into a mustang

you'll have way more than 4k in it even if people give you parts for free

k-member, new front springs, all new front drive and accesories, adapter hosuing for your t45, new clutch and flywheel, all new harness and ecu custom tune, then you have the motor itself a core is going to run you almost 500 bucks then a good crank, rod, piston combo, you need a good set of heads to make any power on a pushrod ford so expect to put 1k or better in a set of heads then your intake manifold, injectors, fastners motor mounts and I'm just scratching the surface I'm not trying to rain on your parade here, but if you have a modualr motor car keep the modualr style engine if you want to build your own motor do a 4v 5.4 you'll make all the power you want and keep your factory harness computer and accesories just food for thought

if you really want to do a 351 trade me cars I'll take your 99 for my 90 with all the bolt ons plus a 351 builder on a pallet ready to go :)

Guest Removed

you can run a roller cam in the older engine's. a friend on mine has a 69 block 351 and he running a soild roller in it! just takes different lifters. you need the lifters with the tie bars in them. most companys make them

k member headers etc will be needed for the swap. the info is out there and its been done many time's!

Guest tbutera2112
you'll have way more than 4k in it even if people give you parts for free

k-member, new front springs, all new front drive and accesories, adapter hosuing for your t45, new clutch and flywheel, all new harness and ecu custom tune, then you have the motor itself a core is going to run you almost 500 bucks then a good crank, rod, piston combo, you need a good set of heads to make any power on a pushrod ford so expect to put 1k or better in a set of heads then your intake manifold, injectors, fastners motor mounts and I'm just scratching the surface I'm not trying to rain on your parade here, but if you have a modualr motor car keep the modualr style engine if you want to build your own motor do a 4v 5.4 you'll make all the power you want and keep your factory harness computer and accesories just food for thought

if you really want to do a 351 trade me cars I'll take your 99 for my 90 with all the bolt ons plus a 351 builder on a pallet ready to go :)

i figure i could take care of the accesories such as k member harness etc all used for a grand... 100-300 for a block, spend 2-3 on h/c/i stuff...

just lookin for a project to start building on...where can i get a 4v 5.4 to start building on? the only one i know of was in the cobra r...the lightnings and such are 2vs if im not mistaken

Guest tbutera2112
alright thanks...that would be a little more than i would be into doing...fitting 4v heads onto a 2v motor requires a lot of extras that im not wanting to hassle with....i guess ill just wait and see what i run into...maybe ill just start working on another tiny 281, idk...car has a lot of miles so i want to start building something to drop in when she gives out

Guest tbutera2112

navigator motors a 4v?

*just looked it up and yea it is...thanks man i didnt even think of that...ill start looking into finding a navi motor...

what tranny would bolt up to that? and what years have the 4v?

I honestly don't see the point in a swap like this. There is so much you can do with a 4.6, 5.0, or 5.4 mod motor. Not to mention, you actually can do that swap cheap (relatively.). Switching to a different style engine in these cars is very doable, the cost becomes the issue.

Engines http://www.ModularMustangRacing.com new and built.

PS. Aj, I really do want to do an LSx swap into an SN97 Mustang.

Guest tbutera2112
yea....ill probably end up just trying to start putting money away, maybe get a weekend job...i can get a new motor from MMR for 7grand...fully assembled with all the parts i would be looking to install on it anyways.... kinda wanting a project to work on, but im starting to think its not going to be very cost effective

Fuck that kind of build, seriously. I would suggest picking up and '03-'04 Cobra block used. pull it apart and put some good pistons in there. From there, you can boost or spray all day long.

Guest tbutera2112

how much does a used termie driveline usually run? ide need the motor and tranny wouldnt i?

and dont cobras already have good rods/pistons/crank?

**oh yea...and me and my gf were plotting ways to swipe the motor out of your car while we were waiting on our ride....then you showed up so we decided not to....yea thats right...i peeked into your garage lol i couldnt help it, i love that car